what's your opinion? Anybody had a similar experience?
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 24, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I was very disappointed with my skiing performance this past season.  I had trouble getting a good solid edge, especially when turning left, and frequently had the tail of my right ski skid out near the end of the turn.  I had new boots this season and they were nowhere near as stiff as my previous boots.  I just compared my old-new boots and noticed that the inner “tongue” on the older boot is much higher and stiffer than that on the new boots.  I wonder if this might account for my problems, especially when putting pressure on the boot front during a turn.  Or is the issue my lack of physical shape and strength?  I just turned 75 this month and age has a way catching up to us!  I have noticed that balancing on skis is not as automatic as it used to be.  

MorganB

bob
March 24, 2016 (edited March 24, 2016)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Hey Colonel.

I suspect it's going to be difficult for someone on DCSki to help with you diagnosis , That being said, I see plenty of people over 70 skiing -- most pretty well. So I suspect that age is not the probem. I'm 65 and I ski harder now than when I was 40.

Do you feel that your edging is as dramatic as it was when you did not have the problem? If not, maybe you could find a health club with a Skiers Edge to help practice your edging.

I suspect that the softer boots are not the cause. One day last year I skied the whole day with the cuff buckels . of both boots unbuckled (by mistake I might add) and I did not notice a deteioration of my ability to edge my skis.  Talk about soft boots ... 

Good luck in finding a solution to the problem.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 24, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Do you still have the old boots.  If you use them as before, do you still have the problem.  If so, that is worrisome.  I'd seek a medical evaluation, probably focussed on orthopedics.  I haven't noticed any decrease in balance or ski skills with age.  I have noticed a steady loss of stamina that has occurred slowly over many years, not in a single year.  As far as skills, I am still getting a bit better each year, although not at a rate that an outside observer would be likely to notice.  Maybe its better equipment.  After 2+ hours fatigue begins to erode my skills.  I love tree skiing above all else, and when the turns are no longer effortless and start to require cranking hard to finish, its time to get out of the trees.  Usually I quit altogether.  Cruising blue runs is not satisfying.  

I wish you luck in finding the answer.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2016 (edited March 25, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Thanks, Denis.  Like I said, I am not sure what the problem.  I noticed in a video that Vince Kenny took of me that I do not push my legs to the inside as much as I believe I have in the past.  Maybe the problem is as simple as needing to get in better shape, especially in the legs.  I meant to try my old boots when I got back east from Utah, but this would have required having bindings adjusted as my new boots are 25.5 and my old ones are 26.5.  And the conditions at Timberline for Snowy Luau were not good enough to warrant such a drastic test.  So I guess I'll have to wait until next ski season to get a better answer, get in better shape, and if the situation does not change then take a private lesson or two and see what the instructor sees.

My skiing technique has been all over the place...up unweighting, down unweighting, pressure on stiff tongue of boots, pressure on balls of feet, aggressive pole plants well in front of my skis; pole plants even with tips, pole plants near mid ski, etc.  I do not think I skied nearly as fast this season as in past seasons.  I sure noticed the difference during the one NASTAR race I ran late in the day before I left Utah for home.  I was timid at the top and really had to hop on my edges as speed built up and the gates came faster and faster.  I was much lower in my stance from the middle of the course to the bottom.  I did not have time for a second run .I had thought my medal chances were good since I just turned 75 a week earlier...wrong!  You are locked into an age group by your age on Dec. 31. Next year I'll be in the 75-79 age bracket!

MorganB

aka The Colonel 

Crush
March 25, 2016
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

The Colonel wrote:

I was very disappointed with my skiing performance this past season.  I had trouble getting a good solid edge, especially when turning left, and frequently had the tail of my right ski skid out near the end of the turn.  I had new boots this season and they were nowhere near as stiff as my previous boots.  I just compared my old-new boots and noticed that the inner “tongue” on the older boot is much higher and stiffer than that on the new boots.  I wonder if this might account for my problems, especially when putting pressure on the boot front during a turn.  Or is the issue my lack of physical shape and strength?  I just turned 75 this month and age has a way catching up to us!  I have noticed that balancing on skis is not as automatic as it used to be.  

MorganB

umm sounds like a canting problem? You actually might be over-edged and need to move you knee(s) inward a tad. Also you may be over-pressuring your ski forebody at the end of your turn so the tails are washing out. Try to stay centered at the end.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2016
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

IMHO....

1.  Canting in your boots needs to be readjusted

2.  You may be at the point that shorter skis may make sense

3.  How strong do you keep your body core?  That is essential to carving and weight shifting.  Are both abs and back as strong?  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2016 (edited March 25, 2016)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Certainly always better to do some exercises during the off season related to balance, flexibility, and core strength, especially when over a . . . certain age.  I started collecting together my favorite exercises in a blog.  Started more deliberate ski conditioning after knee rehab in 2012 (not a skiing injury).  For me, working with a personal trainer helps keep me focused during the spring and fall when there isn't as much other stuff going on around our house.

http://over50skifitness.blogspot.com

I have no doubt that one of the reasons I ski better now than five years ago is that I'm in better shape.  Plus lessons at Massanutten also really helped.  The Silver Clinic is only $40 for 2 hours with a very experienced Level 3 instructor.  Walter also did a multi-week clinic on Sunday mornings this season.  He's an older skier so understands the challenges first hand.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.