2016-2017 MAX Pass
37 posts
7 users
8k+ views
rbrtlav
March 13, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Looks like it is on sale and Snowshoe worked out whatever the issue was last year. 

The below passes ARE INCLUDED this year as qualifying. If I decide to go this route I will be calling or emailing MaxPass first to verify, but I think the "Ridiculous pass" is just the unlimited pass at a discounted price. 

• Snowshoe Primo Pass
  • Snowshoe Unlimited Pass

https://www.themaxpass.com/faqs/

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I sent an email to max pass asking for clarification regarding our SS passes.  Big Sky is on our short list for 2017 and 1/2 our group has SS season passes.

skinavy
March 14, 2016
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

would be great if Ridiculous passes were treated the same as their regular, for MAX purposes!  fingers crossed... but not holding my breath.  Even the regular price pass + the MAX addon is only $30 over the price of the earlybird MAX.

March 14, 2016
1,580 posts

Below is the reply I got from Max Pass.  I also called Snowshoe's season pass office.  There is NO difference between a "ridiculous pass" and an "unlimited season pass" according to the gal I spoke with.

Dear Jim,

Thanks for checking with us. Yes, the Unlimited Snowshoe pass has been added to the list of qualifying resorts. You can purchase the MAX Add-On to go with that pass. ......

........ Hope that is GOOD NEWS!  Thanks for your interest in the MAX Pass Add-On--glad you folks at Snowshoe can be included on that.

Kind Regards,

Anna

MAX Pass Info & Support

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
eggraid
March 14, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

My god this is confusing. It's great to see the Ridiculous pass counts as a regular season pass to be able to do the 'add on' option, but it looks like the add on option will not include Steamboat, Copper or Winter Park. That's kind of a bummer. But we have had our eye on Big Sky and have enjoyed Solitude and Brighton. 

rbrtlav
March 14, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

The way I read it they are good for 5 days everywhere NOT including snowshoe. The example they provide says it is an add on for the pass that includes steamboat, copper, and winter park. So I think it is good everywhere but where the base pass is good for...so for the snowshoe pass with no blackout dates I think there are no real restrictions

skinavy
March 14, 2016
78 posts

That is indeed how it works- you dont need the 5 days at your home hill(s), as you already have a season pass for them.  The add-on gets you all teh remaining of the 25, 5 days each, no blackouts.

"Guests who purchase the M.A.X. Pass as an Add-on to their qualifying Season Pass must maintain their existing Season Pass for the duration of the 2016/2017 season. The M.A.X. Pass Add-on provides 5 days at each participating resort, except for the resort(s) accessed with the qualifying season pass.

This holds true for multi-mountain qualifying passes. For example, if a guest purchases a Rocky Mountain Super Pass Plus, they may purchase a M.A.X. Pass Add-on. The M.A.X. Pass Add-on provides 5 days of skiing/riding at each M.A.X. resort except Steamboat, Winter Park and Copper Mountain.

BlueDon- So the MAXPass folks didn't address RIDICULOUS pass vs ULTIMATE.  As far as WE all believe, they are the same- just super-discounted.  The difference, if any, is probably Snowshoe's domain.  Hopefully SS mgmt will say they are the same thing for these purposes as well? 

March 14, 2016 (edited March 14, 2016)
1,580 posts

skinavy wrote:

BlueDon- So the MAXPass folks didn't address RIDICULOUS pass vs ULTIMATE.  As far as WE all believe, they are the same- just super-discounted.  The difference, if any, is probably Snowshoe's domain.  Hopefully SS mgmt will say they are the same thing for these purposes as well? 

The girl at SS told me there was no difference between a ridiculous pass and an unlimited season pass they are selling now for $329.  Both are unlimited season passes with no restrictions.  

Apparently, they are introducing a "Primo Pass" next season that may have some skip the long lines benefits.  Nothing official on that.

We have an HOA mtg on Sat.  I'll try to get clarification from the Snowshoe rep at our meeting on the Max Pass.   It's usually Frank Deberry or Dave Dekema so it should be good intel. 

eggraid
March 14, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

The way I read it they are good for 5 days everywhere NOT including snowshoe. The example they provide says it is an add on for the pass that includes steamboat, copper, and winter park. So I think it is good everywhere but where the base pass is good for...so for the snowshoe pass with no blackout dates I think there are no real restrictions

You guys are right about the lasck of restrictions, I must be tired after the time change today. That's awesome because we have been wanting to check out Steamboat and Copper is nice and (relatively) close to DEN so we've had our eye on that for maybe a second trip out west some season.

March 14, 2016
1,580 posts

Well  - they clarified our fears .....

Dear Jim,

I feel the need to follow up with one additional clarification regarding the Snowshoe pass and the MAX Pass Add-On.

To clarify: the Ridiculous Pass pricing for the Snowshoe pass does not qualify for the Add-On. . To purchase the Add-On, you would need to upgrade to the Snowshoe Primo pass.

Thanks again for your time. Hope that is clear.

Kind Regards,

Anna

MAX Pass Support

skinavy
March 14, 2016
78 posts

:(

rbrtlav
March 14, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Looks like Snowshoe is off the add-on list on the website entirely now... what doesn't makes sense to me is that it says "discounted" passes aren't eligible. 

All passes for 16/17 are discounted at this point... just some more than others. 

BlueDon, if Frank or Dave show up it might be worth the question. It seems odd to me it was on the list and then later removed and the fact that you got two different responses to your request is also odd.

skinavy
March 15, 2016 (edited March 15, 2016)
78 posts

So my suspicion is MAX has pulled the SS passes from the list and added the verbiage about discounted passes until they clarify a few things- like Ridiculous passes.  It certainly does not behoove them to enable loopholes such that one could get a MAXPass for less than the cost of a MAXPass.  A fullprice pass to SS was <$300 last year, explaining why it wasn't on the addon list (I suspect).

I don't doubt the "regular" (Ultimate) SS pass will return to the list, and Primo- whatever that ends up being- so long as the cost is > $MAXPass?

This is only the 2nd year for this thing- I did a quick scan, and SS's passes are by far the cheapest of the 25 hills (except maybe the Canucks, based on exchange rate)- they likely didn't fully think this loophole through (or didn't know about it- in which case, WE spoiled the soup?).

Not sure how the "discounted" part applies to college (typically they would be adults, not youth) and military passes... would look unpleasant if they denied active duty mil discount passes.  I emailed them to see waht they say, for giggles.  Although, thinking about it, they can simply say that the exact passes listed are the only ones eligible- not a college/student/4.0/military/senior/whatever version.  Only the full-up regular.  Of course this still leaves the question of early-season pricing (which is what we all thought the Ridiculous pass basically was) for ALL the resorts?

sampling:

Brighton nightpass: $419

Wachusett silver: $439

Big Sky bronze: $599

Blue 6x7: $419 ($Canadian?...$315 US)

Note that Winter Park is NOT on the list, at $399.  Have to get a RMSP @ $499

Snowshoe Mountain
March 15, 2016
Member since 03/14/2016 🔗
3 posts

We apologize for the understandable confusion surrounding the MAX Pass add-on. The Ridiculous Pass is “unlimited” in terms of blackout-free access, passholder discounts, perks, etc. However, as in previous years, the Ridiculous Pass does not qualify for the MAX Pass add-on. The MAX Pass add-on is available for the Snowshoe Unlimited Pass (Currently available at the lowest price of $329, will go to $429 before the start of next season).

March 15, 2016
1,580 posts

Snowshoe Mountain wrote:

We apologize for the understandable confusion surrounding the MAX Pass add-on. The Ridiculous Pass is “unlimited” in terms of blackout-free access, passholder discounts, perks, etc. However, as in previous years, the Ridiculous Pass does not qualify for the MAX Pass add-on. The MAX Pass add-on is available for the Snowshoe Unlimited Pass (Currently available at the lowest price of $329, will go to $429 before the start of next season).

Could one "upgrade" their Rid pass to an Unlimited Pass for the difference of approx $110?

eggraid
March 15, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Snowshoe Mountain wrote:

Could one "upgrade" their Rid pass to an Unlimited Pass for the difference of approx $110?

I'd be interested to know that as well.

skijw
March 15, 2016
Member since 03/10/2014 🔗
40 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Snowshoe Mountain wrote:

Seems like a very reasonable request. And Snowshoe should put in language to clarify that Rid pass does not qualify for the Max add on next year.

I am guessing that if nobody asked, Rid pass would have worked if it made no difference in Snowshoe's system. It's just a early season discount not different from the now $329 pass - also an early season discount. The only difference is that the total cost of Rid pass plus add on is less than the regular Max pass cost.

Snowshoe Mountain
March 15, 2016
3 posts

You can absolutely upgrade to the Ultimate Pass, just drop by the Depot or give them a call at 304-572-5982 and they will take care of you!

skinavy
March 15, 2016 (edited March 15, 2016)
78 posts
Here's the reply to my query about college, senior, military, etc. Bottom line- those do not qualify for the addon. But earlybird-priced regular adult passes do. (Altho apparently not our Ridiculous passes). "Thank you for your interest in the Max Pass. I do understand the confusion. Most resorts offer a qualifying pass at a discount for for college, senior, etc, but offer the adult pass at an early season pass price. The pass that would qualify for the add-on will be the Adult pass. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best Regards, Erin @ MAX Pass Support
eggraid
March 16, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Snowshoe Mountain wrote:

You can absolutely upgrade to the Ultimate Pass, just drop by the Depot or give them a call at 304-572-5982 and they will take care of you!

Thanks for the help! So that would clear us for the MAX pass add-on?

March 16, 2016
1,580 posts

I'm going to hold off on any upgrades or purchases until I speak to someone at SS this weekend.  

This is like herding cats.  I've seen 3 emails with 3 slightly different messages.  SS was listed on the Max Pass website, now it's not.  

skinavy
March 16, 2016
78 posts

I'm pretty sure MAX pulled it off their website until they clear up the Ridiculous pass details w/ SS.  But heck, you've got till 2May to get the cheap MAX price; smart to wait & be 100%.

I betcha next year there will be a line in the Ridiculous Pass terms that it is only good at SS, and not eligible for MAX or other add-ons.  Which, truly, is reasonable.

Snowshoe Mountain
March 17, 2016
3 posts

eggraid wrote:

Snowshoe Mountain wrote:

Thanks for the help! So that would clear us for the MAX pass add-on?

That is correct! By upgrading to the Ultimate Pass you will be eligible to purchase the MAX Pass add-on.

March 21, 2016
1,580 posts

We were informed at our HOA meeting that Snowshoe will be providing more details - possibly this week on how to "upgrade" our passes to qualify for the Max Pass add on. 

rbrtlav
April 17, 2016 (edited April 17, 2016)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I see snowshoe is back on the list on the Max Pass website with the Snowshoe Primo Pass, did you ever hear back from them regarding details on this pass?

April 18, 2016
1,580 posts

I sent them a PM last week.  They replied that they would have more info before the next price increase.  I took that to mean before May 2nd.

April 27, 2016
1,580 posts

Update: This email came to me from Max Pass Support as I asked if the add on would remain at $299 after 5/2/16 

You are correct, sir!  No urgency necessary, but good idea to verify. Thanks for hanging in there. The Add-On is not scheduled to increase in price until later in the summer, so you should have time to upgrade to the Primo Pass.

Kind Regards,

Anna

MAX Pass Support

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 27, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

So the Showshoe Unlimited Pass is the same as the Snowshoe Primo Pass listed on the MAX Pass website as one of the season passes that can be upgraded for $299?

April 27, 2016
1,580 posts

marzNC wrote:

So the Showshoe Unlimited Pass is the same as the Snowshoe Primo Pass listed on the MAX Pass website as one of the season passes that can be upgraded for $299?

Negative - I / We are waiting for SS to announce how we can upgrade our ridiculous pass to a "qualifying pass"

Per a PM from SS yesterday, SS is still ironing out the details.

eggraid
April 29, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Negative - I / We are waiting for SS to announce how we can upgrade our ridiculous pass to a "qualifying pass"

Per a PM from SS yesterday, SS is still ironing out the details.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about that

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 4, 2016
3,246 posts

Standalone price is $649 as of May 3.  As promised, add-on price is still $299.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 31, 2016
3,246 posts

Not that it makes any difference to folks in the Mid-Atlantic, but Buck Hill in MN was added to the MAX Pass some time in May.  That means the list includes 26 places.

September 7, 2016
1,580 posts

BUMP!

Hoping to see a reply from Snowhsoe to this thread.  

We talked about this at the March HOA meeting at Mtn Lodge.  Our Sept meeting is on 9/17.

rbrtlav
September 7, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

What I was told at the Depot this weekend. Buy the add on online from Max Pass. They should detect you have a $199 pass and will send you an email requesting to bill you an extra $150 for the $349-$199 diffference. 

That being said they have waited long enough that I don't think I will be getting it this year as my plans have changed a bit. (extra week at snowshoe and some time in New Hampshire at other resorts) Its really odd the Max Pass keeps saying Snowshoe wants the extra $150 and Snowhoe is saying Max Pass wants the extra $150... so I'd be interested to see if you actually get charged the difference.

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

BUMP!

Hoping to see a reply from Snowhsoe to this thread.  

We talked about this at the March HOA meeting at Mtn Lodge.  Our Sept meeting is on 9/17.

September 8, 2016
1,580 posts

Thx RB - I'll give it a whirl and see what happens later on this month

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 8, 2016
3,246 posts

In case people missed the news, the MAX Pass is up to 32 locations.  The new places added for 2016-17 are Crested Butte, Eldora, Mountain High, Mountain Creek, Mount Sunapee, and Okemo.

October 4, 2016 (edited October 4, 2016)
1,580 posts

Snowshoe is selling a Ridiculous Pass add on for $130.  This upgrades one's Rid Pass to qualify for the $299 Max Pass Add on.

There are no details on the SS website right now.  I messaged them yesterday and they confirmed that one must upgrade their pass to qualify for the Max Pass Add On.

I think the Max Pass Add On increases from 299 to 349 on Oct 12. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.