Closing date prediction?
44 posts
20 users
4k+ views
skijw
March 6, 2016
Member since 03/10/2014 🔗
40 posts

Given the potentially record breaking heat next week (or two), would some resorts have to close earlier than expected? Do you think Snowshoe will last 3/27 with decent coverage? Thanks.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Pretty sure that the last day for Massanutten is March 13.  That's the day announced for the Miltary special.  I doubt Geronimo will be open but Showtime, Parardice, and DJ might make it.  All the snowmaking equipment was gathered up this weekend.  

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Define decent!?  Yes, I think Snowshoe will make it to announced closing date; but expect trail count to drop.

wgo
March 7, 2016
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Was 3/27 the announced closing date for the entire resort, or just Silver Creek?

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

wgo wrote:

Was 3/27 the announced closing date for the entire resort, or just Silver Creek?

Entire resort

Flatlander
March 7, 2016
Member since 01/13/2014 🔗
8 posts

We are scehduled to be at Snowshoe mid-week March 21-24.  That is still two weeks away but the 10 day forecast does not look good.  I would imagine Snowshoe might try to hold onto Silver Creek and Western territory through March 20th but by the time Monday March 21st hits I imagine both of those areas will be closed and the basin trail count will be reduced???  

skijw
March 7, 2016
40 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Define decent!?  Yes, I think Snowshoe will make it to announced closing date; but expect trail count to drop.

Decent = 70% trail count, most greens and blues and a couple blacks at the Basin? Perhaps no Western Territory but Silver Creek still opens for SOME night skiing?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2016
3,246 posts

Massanutten is not doing any more night skiing.  Looks like they started farming the snow from the CMB Terrain Park last week.  A few features were put onto Pacesetter a few weeks ago to turn it into a terrain park before CMB was closed.  My guess is that keeping the snow tubing open is a priority during warm weather.

Reisen
March 7, 2016
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

We skied Thurs-Sun at Snowshoe.  Absolutely epic conditions.  Fresh snow every morning, and Saturday was low 30's with no wind and bright sun. 

The whole resort is a winter wonderland right now (all trees are snow-covered), but the warm up is going to do a number on it quickly.  Hard to tell how fast it will melt.

crgildart
March 7, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Uh oh!

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

uh oh.  looks like only Sugarloaf and Quebec have a chance. 

mwg
March 8, 2016
Member since 08/24/2005 🔗
46 posts

Whitetail will be closing at 5:00 PM on Sunday, 3/13.

skinavy
March 9, 2016
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

Where'd you hear that?  I got the "free lunch" email, but nothing else, and nothing from Lib or RT at all.  I presume they will likewise follow.  Lib backside looks ugly- lower Eastwind & Strata are down to ribbons, Ultra/Heavenly merge not very pretty either.  I suspect this weekend will be down to Dipsy/Whitney/Heavenly, maybe one of the upper blacks, depending on how well they can push the bumps around.

Related- anyone know why they haven't put their 16-17 passes on sale?  They did that mid-Feb last year.  Maybe to maximize day sales this year, given the lack of revenue?

wgo
March 9, 2016
1,666 posts

As of 3/8, Wintergreen was still planning on being open until 3/20  (closed mon-fri of next week).  They actually list 3/26 as TBD.

skiracerx
March 9, 2016
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

ribbons funny that's not ribbons are about 2 feet wide for 20 feet  :O 1/3 open in that ribbon. like 40 feet.I will measure hope to go up Sat. 

They  will not push and move until prep for weekend. let it settle, drain and wind dry.  I have been around for 25 years I guess my perception is different.

USE 80 mm > under foot, use heavy 45 x 45 x 90 structure and HI flo wax and ride the shade. the trails with less slope will bump less and be easier to cruise. Spring Conditions need wax and structure ask ski school where the ride is best. They do not want to work more than possible

19th 20th workable for weekend AO brings cold in 15th mar.

FreshPow
March 9, 2016
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

skinavy wrote:

Where'd you hear that?  I got the "free lunch" email, but nothing else, and nothing from Lib or RT at all.

Those who wear name tags at WT have been so alerted. Go get it this weekend.

skiracerx
March 9, 2016
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

Liberty will be closing for the season this Sunday, March 13th at 6pm. We have lots of fun planned for the weekend and we hope to make it one to remember! Check out below for a few quick updates and a listing of everything happening this weekend at Liberty!

• All Night Club Cards and Midweek Passes are now valid all day everyday for the remainder of the season.
  • Boulder Ridge Snow Tubing is now closed for the season.
  • At this time we are not 100% sure whether Pond Skim will be taking place this Sunday. We need to see how the warmer weather effects the snow depth and whether there is enough snow to build the pond. Stay tuned to our website and social media for updates.
  • Our Learn To Ski and Snowboard Package is only $49 for the remainder of the season. Last lesson of the season will be at 3:30pm on Sunday.   just in check the rest 

skinavy
March 9, 2016
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

yup, the email from Lib just came in- closing Sunday at 6. 

ParkCrewDrew
March 9, 2016
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

My prediction for 7springs is 3/27  4pm.   3 lifts will be open.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 10, 2016
3,246 posts

It's official, Massanutten's closing date is Sun, March 13.  Assuming they can hold out that long.  Below is the update from 3/10.

3/10/16 at 9:00 am - Sunny, high near 75. We plan to ski through Sunday, March 13, please call ahead or check here for updates. 

No night skiing for the remainder of the seasonThe Ski Slopes are open 9 am - 5 pm daily with late season rates in effect.

March 10, 2016
1,580 posts

OFFICIAL WORD FROM SS head of marketing

Closing Easter Sunday as planned - March 27th

wgo
March 10, 2016
1,666 posts

Wintergreen just posted a video to their twitter feed stating their Slide and Splash Bash is March 19-20.

AndyGene
March 10, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

The hill in my area (Perfect North) closed on Sunday (3/6).  I think I am going to have to take one more trek into WV in the next two weeks if I can.  I just don't feel like ending the season this early is appropriate.  On the plus side this may make for a good golf season.  

wgo
March 10, 2016
1,666 posts

AndyGene wrote:

The hill in my area (Perfect North) closed on Sunday (3/6).  I think I am going to have to take one more trek into WV in the next two weeks if I can.  I just don't feel like ending the season this early is appropriate.  On the plus side this may make for a good golf season.  

Good early golf season. When it is 105 degrees in July...

rbrtlav
March 10, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Snowshoe basin will make it...they have a huge base. I think silver creek is going to have a hard time. All the Snowmaking is still ready to roll... Hopefully they get a chance to use it next week. I believe the high at the village today was 62

skijw
March 10, 2016
40 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Snowshoe basin will make it...they have a huge base. I think silver creek is going to have a hard time. All the Snowmaking is still ready to roll... Hopefully they get a chance to use it next week. I believe the high at the village today was 62

Really? You think they will make snow next week if there is a chance? Forecast calls for a possible low on Thursday. I am still hoping for a decent coverage by the weekend of 19th. Possible?

rbrtlav
March 10, 2016 (edited March 10, 2016)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

almost all of the equipment is still hooked up and I even heard air running today, even though it is clearly too warm. They made snow the weekend before closing last year... I think they will go if they can.

As far as coverage... Based on current conditions I think basin will be fine... Western and silver creek idk

skijw
March 10, 2016
40 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

almost all of the equipment is still hooked up and I even heard air running today, even though it is clearly too warm. They made snow the weekend before closing last year... I think they will go if they can.

As far as coverage... Based on current conditions I think basin will be fine... Western and silver creek idk

That's good news in this unfortunate weather. Will wait til middle of next week to decide the weekend of the 19th. Lodging price seems to be going down still on VRBO!

Sschneid
March 10, 2016
Member since 03/22/2015 🔗
50 posts

Base on ballhooter, spruce, and a few others looks pretty deep.  Edges will be gone but should be enough to provide some good runs.  snowshoe should have some runs open through the 27th.

March 10, 2016
1,580 posts

skijw wrote:

That's good news in this unfortunate weather. Will wait til middle of next week to decide the weekend of the 19th. Lodging price seems to be going down still on VRBO!

Hoping for a decent ski weekend of the 19th.  

Big debate between a few guys in my building re: vrbo low ballers.  Hell, if those folks are that hard up for rental income they're in deep shit.  We'll never make up the rent we lost in Dec.  I've punted on this rental season - it is what it is.

I think if you hold out until Wed / Thu I bet you'll get a deal on lodging - some of these dudes are jonesing for rental dollars.

skijw
March 10, 2016
40 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I think if you hold out until Wed / Thu I bet you'll get a deal on lodging - some of these dudes are jonesing for rental dollars.

Interesting. :-) I am not really holding out for the deal though. Price seems low enough. Just want to make sure there is decent coverage so I don't waste time driving up and have only a couple slush ribbons left. Also, with weather unpredicting in March, want to make sure those are dry days. There seem to be some rain that week. Just not sure which days. I have some flexibility for days in that week if it means better temperature and weather.

crgildart
March 10, 2016 (edited March 10, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts
Spoke with beech today and they are still hoping to keep skiing til the end of the month all g with Appalachian. Sugar will likely follow
rbrtlav
March 10, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

skijw wrote:

Interesting. :-) I am not really holding out for the deal though. Price seems low enough. Just want to make sure there is decent coverage so I don't waste time driving up and have only a couple slush ribbons left. Also, with weather unpredicting in March, want to make sure those are dry days. 

I'll post some pictures of what the conditions are Saturday...  I was out in a T-Shirt at Silver Creek at 6:30... but by 9:00 I was in a North Face... the thermometer at the bus shelter said 49... out in the open it felt colder. I supect next weekend there will be more than ribbons. I can honestly say the webcams were a pretty good impression of what you will see... they really don't seem to be showing just the "best" snow. I suspect they will lose some trails, but not many (at least in the basin) by next weekend. 

fishnski
March 11, 2016 (edited March 11, 2016)
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

March wx is starting to look good starting around  late the 17th into the 18th...no big storms showing yet but some snow and cold chances seem to be increasingly better as the data gets put out....might be a nice end to the season for the Shoe....AND...there is always that chance for that end of season Snow Hound Snow!

skijw
March 11, 2016
40 posts

fishnski wrote:

March wx is starting to look good starting around  late the 17th into the 18th...no big storms showing yet but some snow and cold chances seem to be increasingly better as the data gets put out....might be a nice end to the season for the Shoe....AND...there is always that chance for that end of season Snow Hound Snow!

It sure is looking that way comparing to forecast just a couple days ago.

skijw
March 12, 2016
40 posts

A little off topic. How's AT&T signal at Snowshoe these days at Mountain Lodge? Thanks.

rbrtlav
March 12, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

skijw wrote:

I think the next few days will impact what is open... while the cold impacts the conditions of what is open. If the next few days are overcast, but they get minimal rain that will help big time. After being there today I could tell the sun is taking a toll on the base. A few observations:

• Lower Shays is about done, I looked at it from the lift and that was enough for me to know to stay away
  • Upper Shays and all of Cupp were in decent shape today. There is a section of upper Cupp, just past the houses, Mountain Ops has already narrowed a bit to provide a base, but they seem to have enough snow to work with that if the rain this week isn't bad will allow them to get at least next weekend out of it
  • Trails off Ballhooter and the few off Powder Monkey I went down: There are some thin spots, but for the most part trails are still end to end open and they seem to have stashes of snow everywhere they can use to repair as needed
  • Flume (or whatever the green is from soaring eagle to ballhooter) is in bad shape and I didnt see a bunch of snow availiable to repair, if it rains all the next 3 days Soaring Eagle might either close or be shuttle access only
    • Camp 99 and Sawmill are fine
    • Widowmaker was closed Friday for non-connecting snow, but mountain ops got snow from somewhere last night and it was open today... and suprisingly not really in bad shape as they moved a bunch of snow from somehere.
  • Silver Creek-- Seems like 2 of the Blues off the triple at the bottom are quite thin, the terrain parks and trails off the green seemed in better shape
  • Snowmaking is still out and hoses are there, even a decent amount of the portable equipment was out with hoses.

March 13, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

And there might be natural next weekend!!!

The Colonel

March 13, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

And there might be natural next weekend!!!

The Colonel

AndyGene
March 14, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts
Timberline's facebook says 3/13 was their last day open. :(
SCWVA
March 14, 2016
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

skijw wrote:

I think the next few days will impact what is open... while the cold impacts the conditions of what is open. If the next few days are overcast, but they get minimal rain that will help big time. After being there today I could tell the sun is taking a toll on the base. A few observations:

• Lower Shays is about done, I looked at it from the lift and that was enough for me to know to stay away
  • Upper Shays and all of Cupp were in decent shape today. There is a section of upper Cupp, just past the houses, Mountain Ops has already narrowed a bit to provide a base, but they seem to have enough snow to work with that if the rain this week isn't bad will allow them to get at least next weekend out of it
  • Trails off Ballhooter and the few off Powder Monkey I went down: There are some thin spots, but for the most part trails are still end to end open and they seem to have stashes of snow everywhere they can use to repair as needed
  • Flume (or whatever the green is from soaring eagle to ballhooter) is in bad shape and I didnt see a bunch of snow availiable to repair, if it rains all the next 3 days Soaring Eagle might either close or be shuttle access only
    • Camp 99 and Sawmill are fine
    • Widowmaker was closed Friday for non-connecting snow, but mountain ops got snow from somewhere last night and it was open today... and suprisingly not really in bad shape as they moved a bunch of snow from somehere.
  • Silver Creek-- Seems like 2 of the Blues off the triple at the bottom are quite thin, the terrain parks and trails off the green seemed in better shape
  • Snowmaking is still out and hoses are there, even a decent amount of the portable equipment was out with hoses.

Any bumps at Snowshoe?

The19thHole
March 14, 2016
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

>  Any bumps at Snowshoe?

I spent all day on Sunday there. Upper Grab Hammer and Choker had a few, but that's it. For the most part, the remaining snow is rotten. Yes, there is coverage on many slopes, and there are decent stretches to be found, but overall it's just not very good. Morning turns on Cupp and Upper Shay's were good before it got skied off, and cruisers on the basin side were decent most of the day. I took three runs over at Silver Creek on runs that were hard as a rock and very chattery before retreating to the basin. Just be sure to adjust your expectations to mirror the recent weather conditions, and don't expect mid-winter skiing.

March 14, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Unless the numerous predictions of a deep snow coming over the weekend prove true!

March 15, 2016
1,580 posts

It looks like the soaring eagle area is now closed at SS. 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.