IHG hotel deals near local ski areas
8 posts
5 users
2k+ views
hoyadrew
February 11, 2016
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

I don't know if anyone collects hotel points with IHG (Holiday Inn/Intercontinental/etc.), but the Elkins Holiday Inn Express is on their Point Breaks list until the end of March.  5000 points a night including for suites.  You can also just buy points if you don't have any and it's still a discount (67.50 for 5000 points).  Sure beats driving back to DC after a long day of skiing, if you have the time to spare.

The Holiday Inn Express in Somerset, PA, is also only 10,000 points a night and is quite close to 7 Springs.

AndyGene
February 11, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Thanks for the update.  I worked on a project that forced us to stay in a holiday inn for a 6 months.  I never thought I would get to use those points for anything fun!  I may have to hit up the hotel for a Spring Break weekend.

I'm an SPG man myself, the Sheraton in Steamboat has collected more points from me than I can ever imagine. 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

There is a Holiday Inn Express in Park City, and a lot of IHG hotels in SLC!  Also a Holiday Inn in Vail!

MorganB

NonstopSki
February 22, 2016
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts
PointsBreak is a good deal. Given the snow report, I am trying to decide if I am going up to SS from DC this Thursday after work or Wednesday night after work, stay in Elkins, work Thursday most of the day from Elkins (telecommute) and then drive the remaining hour and a half from SS. I'd only do the latter to make the drive potentially easier with the snow in my VW Jetta. If I could get reliable internet at SS it would be a different story.
AndyGene
February 22, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

I was at snowshoe two weeks ago.  I was shocked by how much internet was available and how well it worked.  The only time it crapped out was when the Basin closed and they were bussing everyone to silver creek.  I assume that was because of how many people were all hitting the same signal.  Our condo had it's own connection with 30 mbps down.  We watched streaming video. Two years ago this was simply unheard of.  On the other hand I still had no phone service.

eggraid
February 22, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

AndyGene wrote:

I was at snowshoe two weeks ago.  I was shocked by how much internet was available and how well it worked.  The only time it crapped out was when the Basin closed and they were bussing everyone to silver creek.  I assume that was because of how many people were all hitting the same signal.  Our condo had it's own connection with 30 mbps down.  We watched streaming video. Two years ago this was simply unheard of.  On the other hand I still had no phone service.

+1  We got a new ISP in our condo this year, CityNet, and it has been LIGHT YEARS better than previous years. Previously, we were forced to share a connection with 96 other condos, but only something like 80 people could be online at a time, and the speed was very slow at that. This year each condo can have thier own dedicated router, which makes all the difference in the world. I haven't done a speed test, I'll try to remember to do that this weekend.

Still no cell service though. Curse you Green Bank ;-)  I actually like being 'disconnected'

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 22, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

SS has good ATT cell service from a tower specific for SS service well west and outside the Green Bank "radio telescope quiet zone".  It is my understanding that other cell services could use this set-up but none have so chosen!

NonstopSki
February 22, 2016 (edited February 22, 2016)
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts

AndyGene wrote:

Yea, unfortunately, I am in the Top of the World condos this weekend (booked late...), and I strongly doubt the internet will be any good. If I had a way to check, i certainly would (I might contact the rental agency actually..). But I doubt it is dedicated wifi. Probably for the whole building. 

Other concern are the roads. Thursday DC rushhour into the night (probably 9/10 PM arrival at SS). Seems like there will be a couple inches on the ground by then at least. Somewhat disconcerning. But getting to Elkins wednesday night for an hour and a half drive on Thursday after 5 PM might not be much better? I dunno.  

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?