12 posts
8 users
4k+ views
DrSandy420
February 3, 2016
Member since 11/13/2015 🔗
22 posts

Going to Timberline for the first time this weekend. Questions:

1. I got some good advice in about the drive in this other thread, but not specifically about the route. (I'll be leaving from Northern Virginia, starting with 66.) Anyone got any "must-do" tips, particularly for the areas closer to Timberline? I'll be doing the drive in daylight.

2. I've only two full days of skiing. I was thinking of trying both Canaan and Timberline, a day at each. If I go ahead with that, would one be better than the other (i.e. less crowds) for a Saturday?

3. Finally, any other must-see or must-do things in the area you'd recommend for a winter weekend? Restaurants/other activities? (A couple of my friends won't be skiing.)

Thanks in advance - the advice here is always helpful.

tcichecki
February 3, 2016
Member since 04/4/2014 🔗
12 posts

1. I got some good advice in about the drive in this other thread, but not specifically about the route. (I’ll be leaving from Northern Virginia, starting with 66.) Anyone got any “must-do” tips, particularly for the areas closer to Timberline? I’ll be doing the drive in daylight.

The drive is very easy, they've extended Corridor H (US-48) so you can take it right into Davis and head south on WV-32 to Timberline. Used google maps last weekend and go there fine following the directions. The extended route avoids some of the curvy roads that could be bad in snow - pretty much flat straight shot now. - construction map

2. I’ve only two full days of skiing. I was thinking of trying both Canaan and Timberline, a day at each. If I go ahead with that, would one be better than the other (i.e. less crowds) for a Saturday?

Timberline is the best bet for both days, the lines are sometimes a bit long but overall theres not that many people at the mountain compared to some place near DC such as Liberty. Ski early before the kids get up and going and skip the longer lines. Plus, if you have a college ID all-day lift tickets are only $25!

3. Finally, any other must-see or must-do things in the area you’d recommend for a winter weekend? Restaurants/other activities? (A couple of my friends won’t be skiing.)

Check out Timbers pub for cheap beer and snacks at the lodge but avoid the food in the Fireside Grille. They have a great little deck you can sit and watch people ski by. The pub gets fun later at night after everyone is pumped up from a day on the slopes. Non-skiers can go snow tubing or snowshoeing or just people watch from the back deck at the lodge.

Davis isnt well known for its happening nightlife scene. That being said, there is a new brew pub open in the downtown called Stumptown Ales (you'll see it as you pass through) People also enjoy Hellbender burrito downtown (although I'm not a huge fan) it gets quite busy at lunch/dinner time probably thanks to the lack of quality food at the mountian. 

For us, Timberline has never been about the food or amenities, its an old school ski resort with overall low costs and great friendly people. I always suggest friends take a lesson and ask the instructor for tips on the local area as well.  

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2016 (edited February 4, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

On Saturday ski at Canaan Valley, far less crowded.

Sunday at Timberline, crowd disappears after lunch.

Other things to do:

A. Visit Blackwaterfalls state park:

A1 See the falls

A2 Sled or toboggan at the long lift served sledding slope

B. Visit Thomas:

B1 Interesting shops

B2 Purple Fiddle club and restaurant

C.  In Davis

C1 Galleries and shops

D. In Canaan Valley State Park

D1  Snow tubing, Cross Country Ski, Ice skating, indoor pool,  snow shoeing, deer watching

E.  In Canaan Valley

E1  Cross country ski at White Grass

Enjoy and have a great time!

Morgan B   aka The Colonel

piusthedrcarve
February 4, 2016
Member since 02/2/2016 🔗
6 posts

tcichecki wrote:

The drive is very easy, they've extended Corridor H (US-48) so you can take it right into Davis and head south on WV-32 to Timberline. Used google maps last weekend and go there fine following the directions. The extended route avoids some of the curvy roads that could be bad in snow - pretty much flat straight shot now. - construction map

So, what's the approximate hours from DC to Timberline thru  the extended route?

DrSandy420
February 4, 2016
22 posts

Thanks for the tips.

Hmm - disagreement on Canaan vs. Timberline for Saturday skiing.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

if snow looking good, like 75% of slopes open, then go to Canaan.  viva la difference

Bonzski
February 4, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

DrSandy420 wrote:

3. Finally, any other must-see or must-do things in the area you'd recommend for a winter weekend? Restaurants/other activities? (A couple of my friends won't be skiing.)

Thanks in advance - the advice here is always helpful.

If your non-skier friends don't find enough to do locally, make a day-trip to Elkins WV.  It's about 30-40min drive when roads are clear.  Elkins is a larger town with some unique shops and resturants, plus the usual chain stuff.

jimmy
February 4, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

DrSandy420 wrote:

Thanks for the tips.

Hmm - disagreement on Canaan vs. Timberline for Saturday skiing.

Probably gonna be crowded this weekend, big NOVA school holiday.

Canaan normally is less crowded than Timberline. There is a reason.

pretty good list of things to do other than ski from The Colonel.

Maybe your non-Skiers could learn to ski?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Dr. Sandy,

Where are you staying?  This could impact "things-to-do"

I believe a non-staying guest can pay to use the indoor pool at CV Lodge.

Morgan

DrSandy420
February 4, 2016
22 posts

We're staying at a rental house near Timberline. 

Norsk
February 4, 2016
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

piusthedrcarve wrote:

tcichecki wrote:

So, what's the approximate hours from DC to Timberline thru  the extended route?

We drive from NW DC to TL most weekends and it takes 3 hours without a stop and without traffic on 66.  Plan on 3.5 hrs on Friday evening I suppose.  More if you stop.

DrSandy420
February 10, 2016 (edited February 11, 2016)
22 posts

Just reporting on my trip last weekend:

We all liked Timberline! Great little area, and nice change of pace from other ski resorts I've been to in this region. Also, easy drive from DC (esp. compared to Snowshoe).

The skiing itself I'd say was so-so. Some of the runs were great, but those lifts... man. They're almost a dealbreaker. Also, I was disappointed that a couple of the blue runs weren't open.

Mid-day Saturday, I couldn't deal with the combo of the crowds and the slow lifts, so I ditched skiing at that point.

I didn't get to try Canaan Valley, but it seemed like that was for the best. I was in that area for tubing (really fun) and could see that only half the runs were open. Question, though - are Canaan's lifts as bad as Timberline's?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?