Snowshoe | Snow Storm | Meet Up
18 posts
10 users
3k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 21, 2016 (edited January 21, 2016)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

If any DCSkiers happen to be at the 'Shoe this weekend, Bonzski and I are going to meet up at the Waffle Hut at 11 AM on Saturday.  (Waffle Hut @ Ballhooter, not Silver Creek)

I'll be in my yellow (Bird Bird) jacket, gray pants and black helmet covered with stickers.

Bonz will be in black jacket and lime green pants.

I'm hoping to get some footage / pics of this storm to share.  We'll have a few cameras rolling on and off.

eggraid
January 21, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

If any DCSkiers happen to be at the 'Shoe this weekend, Bonzski and I are going to meet up at the Waffle Hut at 11 AM on Saturday.  (Waffle Hut @ Ballhooter, not Silver Creek)

I'll be in my yellow (Bird Bird) jacket, gray pants and black helmet covered with stickers.

I'm hoping to get some footage / pics of this storm to share.  We'll have a few cameras rolling on and off.

Have fun! We won't be there until the weekend after this weekend. :(

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 21, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Enjoy!  I'll be at Canaan & Timberline!

We will compare notes!

Bonzski
January 21, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Upper Shay's opened today.  I'm anticipating the storm filling in the trees enough to try out the new Sunset Glades by late Sat or Sunday.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
hoyadrew
January 21, 2016
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

OK, we got a studio in Expedition Station....the website malfunctioned and kept the original reservation in the cart without ever sending it back.  So we will hopefully join you guys.  Wondering about the prospects of getting home on Sunday.

hoyadrew
January 21, 2016
147 posts

So apparently the website did malfunction..snowshoe just called us and said nothing in village is available.  Offered us a studio in Snowcrest.  We tentatively secured a $75 voucher for the Junction but I find this really annoying.  Hopefully someone doesn't make it tomorrow...anyone else get the same call tonight?

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
January 21, 2016
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

That sounds fun ... Im here in the Canaan Valley for now,  I guess I will be at T-line I  tomorrow waiting for the snow totals ,, I know I'm new to the site but I would really enjoy meeting some people up here.  

JohnL
January 21, 2016
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

kemperski wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

That sounds fun ... Im here in the Canaan Valley for now,  I guess I will be at T-line I  tomorrow waiting for the snow totals ,, I know I'm new to the site but I would really enjoy meeting some people up here.  

Swing by ski school meeting place at 1:30. I should be there. 

January 22, 2016
1,580 posts

Got here for rope drop.  A few flakes at 9 AM, heavy snow by 10 AM.  Bombs away since 11 AM.  

Locals are saying 2 - 3 feet when it's said and done.

hoyadrew
January 22, 2016
147 posts

Surprised by the amount of ice on certain trails...

January 22, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Pretty much same forecast for Canaan & Timberline.

January 22, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Pretty much same forecast for Canaan & Timberline.

Bonzski
January 22, 2016
652 posts
Arrived Shoe around 230pm. 8" on the ground, 12" by 6pm and dropping in blankets. Had beers with BlueDon and ready to grab pow tomorrow. Snow is amazingly light, much better than last cement from big storm.
AndyGene
January 23, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts
The On The Snow app says 28 inches. Post lots of pics!
January 25, 2016 (edited January 25, 2016)
1,580 posts

Snowshoe was incredible this weekend.  

We left home at 4:30 AM and arrived at 8:30 AM on Friday morning. It starting snow right on cue at 9 AM for rope drop.  It snowed almost non stop until about 6 - 7 PM on Sat.

Friday was awesome, light crowds to start but to my surprise it got really crowded in the afternoon.  Constant snow refilled the slopes with fresh pow on every run.  We skied hard all day and ran out of energy about 3 PM.  

Sat was unbelievable.  Fresh pow every where and steady heavy snow.  Ballhooter was a mad house so we bailed for lunch at 11.  Then we took a page right out of the well documented Snowshoe play book .......

...... my son, his buddy and I met up with Bonski, his son and buddy on Sat after lunch and went over for an afternoon session at Silver Creek. Hands down - that was the best skiing I ever had at Snowshoe.  Silver Creek slopes were empty - we skied right up to the lifts and did powder turn after turn.

Sunday ended up being a blue bird day on groomed packed powder.  We did laps on Cupp / Upper Shays at rope drop.  Bonski tried out the new Sunset Glades so I'll let him provide commentary on that.   Crowds were managable and we skied until about 1 PM before calling it a day.

TRAVEL / ROADS

I must give props to WVDOT.  Travel was a non issue. Due to a rental commitment, we stayed in a motel on 219 in Mill Creek, WV Fri and Sat nights and drove in Sat and Sun mornings during the storm.  Roads were obviously snow covered but easily passable.

Sunday depature - What is usually a 4 hour drive took 4:15 door to door on Sunday -  only because Snowshoe Mountain Dr was snow covered most of the way down to rte 66 so we had to take it slow.  Rte 219 from SS to Elkins was clear and dry most of the way.  Rte 33 from Elkins to I 79 was dry and both lanes were open. Same with I 79 north all the way to Pittsburgh.  

I took some pics and video but frankly, Snowshoe did a hellava job with this video which sums up exactly what we experienced this weekend.  My pics would be an injustice.

Snowshoe Jan 22 - 24 Video 

My biggest fear is that we are completely spoiled.  I'm not sure we'll be able to top this ski trip.

Subaru moment of the weekend - we were riding up grabhammer lift Sunday and a couple lunatics behind us JUMPED OFF the lift into the snow to hit that steep section under the lift that connected back to grabhammer trail.

Fresh pow makes you do crazy S%$T  I guess.

...... When is the next storm ........?

bnzmnzhnz
January 25, 2016
Member since 12/4/2015 🔗
8 posts

I saw a guy jump off Soaring Eagle a few years ago. As we crested the ridge of Widowmaker after our last run of the day we saw the rope being pulled across. Dude on the chair in front saw this, started screaming that he really needed one more run, and leaped. It was quite a drop but he seemed ok and got his run. Crazy.

jimw
January 25, 2016 (edited January 25, 2016)
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Our place was rented so we had to find a room also.  

We arrived 1:30 pm on Thursday.  The conditions were pretty good before the snow even arrived.  Rope drop Friday was nice at Soaring Eagle but it just statred snowing.  By lunch time we had at least 6-8 inches and was filling in as the day went on.  We rode Balhooter until it was crowded.  Saturday rope drop again at Soaring eagle was great.  We went to Shay's and Cupp around 10 am...lower Cupp was crazy with all of the people scattered about the bumps   We went to Silver Creek in the afternoon for more powder.  Sunday rope drop again at Soaring Eagle and they open Sawmill Glades...great conidtions all weekend.  

Props to WVDOT and VADOT...the roads were fine going home on Sunday.  The worst part of my drive was the last 40 minutes home into NC

I'm ready for round two...brinjg it el nino.

Bonzski
January 25, 2016
652 posts

Had a great time meeting and skiing with BlueDon and crew.  I have tons of video to get through and will post a final compilation in a couple weeks...after my coming Vail trip.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.