Wintergreen or Massanutten if both hit equally hard by storm?
7 posts
4 users
6k+ views
mook21
January 21, 2016
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

being already in the Shenandoah Valley, getting there may be a challenge, but hopefully not impossible. That aside, does either have gladed terrain or terrain normally out of bounds that this snow could open up? Also, which is simply more fun to ski having been to neither (always default to Timberline or Whitetail). 

crgildart
January 21, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Wintergreen access roads are more rural with quite a few more switchbacks than Massanutten.  Doesn't matter if more than 20 inches falls though.  If that happens both places will be inaccessible from Friday night through Sunday afternoon most likely.  If you want to ski this event, leave now and stay at the actual resort.  Even staying a few miles away will probably leave you SOL if you try to drive up either mountain Saturday morning.

Bonzski
January 21, 2016 (edited January 21, 2016)
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Considering the blizzard warnings for the VA & DC, what's the wind exposure of these places?  Could Saturday be unbearable?

crgildart
January 21, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Considering the blizzard warnings for the VA & DC, what's the wind exposure of these places?  Could Saturday be unbearable?

As long as the lifts aren't on wind hold the blower conditions will be worth braving the wind chill for awhile.  At least in the east and mid atlantic you're always only a few minutes away from a warm lodge to take a break then go back out.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

The two lifts on the upper mountain at Massanutten are not exposed at all.  Lift 6 is in the trees and completely protected.  The way the mountain faces, wind on the blue/black slopes is not a big problem.  Geronimo (short green) has the most exposure.  The top of the Highlands lift at Wintergreen is quite exposed.

I would not venture up to Wintergreen in blizzard conditions.  Must drive up to the mountain top because it's an upside-down resort with the "base" at the top.  Have done the drive a day after a snowstorm and was glad the driver (not me) had plenty of snow driving experience.

Neither Massanutten nor Wintergreen have much in terms of "trees" to ski even when there is enough snow.  In the past, Wintergreen patrol kept people out of the trees.  There will be tracks in the Mnut trees but mostly going straight through, not making turns.

Everything around Harrisonburg and Massanutten is closing at noon on Friday, 1/22.  Driving on Sat is going to be a bad idea as long as it's still snowing and blowing.  US33 gets cleared as soon as practical.  The roads on resort property are cleared by private contractors who do a pretty good job.  But if they can't keep up, the road up may be AWD/4WD for a few hours.  There is one steeper curve near the top that messes people up who don't have snow driving experience.  That said, there will be very little traffic.  A lot of cancellations.

I'm at Massanutten in a condo building within walking distance of the ski slopes.  Drove back from NC on Thursday morning, staying until Sunday.  Most likely I won't bother to unbury my minivan on Sat.  Was on mountain in Feb 2010 during that blizzard.  The resort roads and parking lots were okay but digging out the 4WD pickup was a pain.  I plan to have plenty of fun the next few days. :-)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2016
3,246 posts

Heard that the comp scheduled for Wintergreen on Sat was cancelled.  Presumably travel conditions was the primary issue.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 23, 2016
3,246 posts

Massanutten resort roads are relatively clear.  Housekeeping staff were just dropped off by a Mnut van.  No idea about US33.  Local TV showing pics of snow covered roads and asking everyone to stay home.

Will be walking 5 min over to the ski lodge shortly.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.