Demo Day at Whitetail, PA
7 posts
5 users
3k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 10, 2016 (edited January 10, 2016)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Demo Day at Whitetail, PA

By Jim Kenney

I went skiing on Friday, Jan 8, 2016 at Whitetail Resort near Mercersburg, PA, about 80 minutes northwest of Washington, DC via Interstate 70.  It was one of those “any skiing is good skiing” kind of days.  The temperature was in the 30’s and it was foggy and misty all day.  Three things made it fun. 

-It was my first ski day of the year, so I was desperate to make tracks and I got in quite a bit of vertical. 

-I met several ski friends there, some I hadn’t seen in two years, and we had a nice time catching up.

-Ski Center of Washington offered $30 lift tickets and there was a batch of ski reps on the mountain offering free ski and snowboard demos all day long.

I drove up with my friend the Colonel and we got there about 9:30AM and left about 5PM.  We kept hoping the sky would clear at least partially, but it never did.  Whitetail had two good runs open from the top of the Whitetail Express Quad; Fanciful and Angel Drop/Jib Junction.  I must have made 20+ runs on those two trails.  I also skied the long green circle Sidewinder trail off the EZ Rider Quad Chair.  Snow conditions were soft, but not bad.  Occasionally, the visibility would improve from crummy to tolerable.  It never really outright rained, but there was so much moisture in the air I couldn’t keep my goggles clear and skied “bare eyed” all day.

The demo tents remained open until 3PM and I skied two or three runs on six different pairs of skis ranging from 170 to 188cms in length and 71 to 106mm in width.  Representatives from mid-Atlantic start-up ski makers Kicker Skis were there and I had a chance to meet with KickerFrank and others from the company.  Because of the local connection I was particularly interested in their skis and tested three models for three runs each and had a blast.  All the Kicker skis I tried were in the low to high 170s cms in length.

The Filibuster by Kicker is a front side carver at about 75mm underfoot.  Frank recommended I really lay this one over; that is, get a little speed and some serious arc.  That was difficult to do in the pea soup weather conditions.   Also, my turns with this ski were my very first of the season, but each lap I took with this ski off the high speed quad I learned a little more about how to tap into its energy.  It definitely was super turny.  Then I skied the Furlough Friday all mountain twin tip ski which is 92mm underfoot.  I found it instantly friendly, but it just didn’t quite have the pop of Filibuster.  I might have gotten more out of this ski on a day when visibility wasn’t so bad and I could get more aggressive and try it at higher speed.  Also, I’m not really a park guy at age 62 and didn’t use it in that environment although Whitetail had some park features open on two runs.  Finally, I tried the POTUS all mountain ski which is ~86mm underfoot.  I got very comfortable with this ski and could have stayed on it all day.  It was pretty quick with respect to turnability.  It has a moderate sidecut that I thought might make it good in bumps, but there weren’t any at Whitetail on Friday to experiment with.  Maybe I’ll catch up with the Kicker guys again this season?    

I'd like to send a big thanks out to Ski Center of Washington for their sponsorship of the demo day.  My muscles and especially my eyes were pretty tired after my outing at Whitetail.  That means success.  It was great to get that first ski day under my belt.  I believe good snowmaking weather is returning as I type this.  Bring on the winter!

All photos by Jim Kenney

Demo Day at Whitetail:

MarzNC skiing by braille:

Dave navigating pea soup:

With the Kicker Ski guys:

The Colonel on Jib Junction:

Laurel Hill Crazie smiling through the fog:

Whitetail website:  http://www.skiwhitetail.com/winter

Kicker Skis website:  http://www.kickersnowsports.com/

Ski Center website:  http://www.skicenter.com/

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2016 (edited January 10, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Great article Jim.  I had a somewhat frightening conclusion to my ski Friday experience. During the day I took a couple lengthy breaks as my age 75 out of shape body did not like the punishment I was absorbing in my legs, shoulder and stiff neck. Upon arriving home things really began to ache and stiffen up and I experienced some chills.  I took a Tylenol for the muscle pain and this led to serious trembling and shaking.  I almost acquiesced to my wife's entreaties that she take me to the emergency room (did I mention that she does not drive after dark?).  Eventually I got to sleep and awoke Saturday totally exhausted and wiped out.  I spent much of the day resting and did not begin to exit my funk until early evening.  My wife felt I had overextended my body, trying to do too much too soon.  The morale here is to exercise wisely and get into somewhat better shape before hitting the slopes, and to listen to what my body is telling me while skiing. I think some of my muscle soreness came from tension generated by the foggy visibility and not feeling totally in control while breaking-in new more flexible boots.

Hope to get back out this week, perhaps with a quick trip to Massanutten.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Great article Jim.  I had a somewhat frightieningp conclusion to my ski Friday experience. During the day I took a couple lengthy breaks as my age 75 out of shape body did not like the punishment I was absorbing in my legs, shoulder and stiff neck. Upon arriving home things really began to ache and stiffen up and I experienced some chills.  I took a Tylenol for the muscle pain and this led to serious trembling and shaking.  I almost acquiesced to my wife's entreaties that she take me to the emergency room (did I mention that she does not drive after dark?).  Eventually I got to sleep and awoke Saturday totally exhausted and wiped out.  I spent much of the day resting and did not begin to exit my funk until early evening.  My wife felt I had overextended my body, trying to do too much to soon.  The morale here is to exercise wisely and get into somewhat better shape before hitting the slopes, and to listen to what my body is telling me while skiing. I think some of my muscle soreness came from tension generated by the foggy visibility and not feeling totally in control while breaking-in new more flexible boots.

Hope to get back out this week, perhaps with a quick trip to Massanutten.  Oh, did I mention that it was wonderful to get back on the slopes again!!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Thanks for the pics.  I didn't end up taking any except for pics of the skis that I demo'd.  Got to try out a lot more than usual since it wasn't that busy.  Especially nice after lunch when the fog was really thick and there were very few people still skiing.  The snow was really pretty nice all things considered.  Definitely glad I made the drive up from Massanutten.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Hope to get back out this week, perhaps with a quick trip to Massanutten.  Oh, did I mention that it was wonderful to get back on the slopes again!!

If you feel up to it, I'm thinking of heading back to Mnut on Thursday before my friends and their kids drive up on Friday for the holiday weekend.  Depends on how many nights of snowmaking they get this week.

Mnut on Sat had similar snow to Whitetail, but the clouds only covered the top of DJ.  Upper Showtime was clear pretty much all day.  Freestyle of Charlottesville didn't bring too many demo skis, but I got to try a few new ones.

Crush
January 10, 2016
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Great article Jim.  I had a somewhat frightieningp conclusion to my ski Friday experience. During the day I took a couple lengthy breaks as my age 75 out of shape body did not like the punishment I was absorbing in my legs, shoulder and stiff neck. Upon arriving home things really began to ache and stiffen up and I experienced some chills.  I took a Tylenol for the muscle pain and this led to serious trembling and shaking.  I almost acquiesced to my wife's entreaties that she take me to the emergency room (did I mention that she does not drive after dark?).  Eventually I got to sleep and awoke Saturday totally exhausted and wiped out.  I spent much of the day resting and did not begin to exit my funk until early evening.  My wife felt I had overextended my body, trying to do too much to soon.  The morale here is to exercise wisely and get into somewhat better shape before hitting the slopes, and to listen to what my body is telling me while skiing. I think some of my muscle soreness came from tension generated by the foggy visibility and not feeling totally in control while breaking-in new more flexible boots.

i actaully fully understand what you are feeling - today i said to M after the weekend skiing that i notice a lot of changes in my power and the ability of my body to do many things while skiing. i realize that the best i can do is maintain and gradually give up what i was able to execute before. i ski in a more efficient and clever manner, but my energy and ability to direct power is less than say 10 years ago. i become tired easily as well. i tend to rely on some tricks to perform well but those too only get you so much. i hope to do as well as you when i am your age. just keep turning them - that is all that matters.

E-

skiracerx
January 11, 2016
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

Jim nice article. I enjoyed the lens covering of mist as I reached 40 mph, sure gives you a trust in the skis.

Crush and most of us. 40+  Every year seemed to get harder doing chores, more aches, We age over time and that is normal. I did a little non-scientific experiment  over a 30 day period. it worked.  Ask yourself- what does an Olympic athlete do, Nutrition and Weights but at the hourly rate we can not match nor afford. 

I usually lift weights but more at Hi reps low weight isolation. Maintains does not Grow or add strength or performance. My nutrition Protein was a minimal intake. flat line no growth. 

I also consulted with an IFBB Pro who knows nutrition. A Pro getting ready for competition, will grow muscle first (300 grams protein extra a day @ 5 hrs in the gym). The do High Cardio, diet to cut, Mere mortals like me try and get in 30 to 45 grams extra a day of protein. 1, 15g before workout, 1 after and 1 at 8 pm to stave off carbs. Cost - 18$ min protein mix. a month. Adjust per lbs x .5 to .7 grams protein. spread out. 

Weight part. I started higher in weight due to time factor. this routine can start real low and add weight quickly.

I just picked a weight where I could do 5 reps for 5 Sets. that became baseline. 

Takes 45 min.   5 - compound moves- each work 3 or more muscles at once.

Squat, deadlift, bench press,  rows, should press.   I do throw in a few isolation on LEGS and Isometrics (holds for up to 30 sec.)   http://stronglifts.com/5x5/   you waste less time then going machine to machine

Results -  will spare the scary old man photos without shirt. I can tell you this.. OMG! why did I not do this 2 months before and 1 month after ski season!!!!! for all these years'.  What a difference.

It now makes sense some of the thin small guys and gals can bench press 2x as much as me. Why constant work and adding stress and building muscle over time. 

it worked. at 53  Strength gains upper body of 20 to 30 lbs. Legs 70 to 100lbs.  Since I ski 3 dayS a week I try and just do legs at this point to maintain. I went out skiing 2 days and being 45 lbs less fat and more muscle power it was a whole new joyful experience.  I even like doing drills now :o) 

Use dumbells and bars for balance, when using smith machines it will be easier. you get the point. It can be done at home.

Your mileage may vary.  GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE! try something  As I gained results It made me push.

18$  (walmart Bodyfortress adv whey protein, Nice blend low-cost Qa is good) and 45 mins x 4 days a week for 4 weeks.

aids in recovery DOMS etc.  2 months before season 1 month after and maintain in between. So far so good.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.