Bus/shuttle
9 posts
8 users
2k+ views
strausdd
November 19, 2015
Member since 11/18/2015 🔗
2 posts

I grew up here, and I just moved back. In high school, we had biweekly busses to area ski resorts. Is there anything like that for adults in the area? Carpool websites?

I don't have a car, and I'm trying to figure out if day trips are an option.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I remember seeing this a while back.  I have no experience with it.

http://www.meetup.com/DCMDVASNOWBOARD/

Sschneid
November 19, 2015 (edited November 19, 2015)
Member since 03/22/2015 🔗
50 posts

Where is here?  Are you in the city or one of the suburbs? 

I've looked around and haven't found much. Would like to find a group that is interested in carpools to Snowshoe.  Will be going up most weekends this season. 

strausdd
November 19, 2015
Member since 11/18/2015 🔗
2 posts

I'm in DC near Dupont Circle. 

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 19, 2015
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

No service like that here on DCSki.  There was a local (DC area) attempt about 10 years ago to set up semi-regular bus service to local resorts, but it didn't last.  See article here:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=851&mode=rss

Interesting link provided by BlueDon, I would guess craiglist might also be a good tool for this.

hoyadrew
November 19, 2015
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

I live between DuPont and Logan and have a Snowshoe season pass.  Crashed my car last week but if I ever get it fixed or replaced you're welcome to ride with to Snowshoe.  I actually have been seriously interested in trying to restart a skibus in DC but haven't got much money, time, or energy to give it a real shot.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2015
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Someone ought to ping SkiCenter in DC.  In New York and Boston there are (were?) local ski shops that run a Saturday daytrip bus to Hunter, Loon, etc.  I was always under the impression they only break even running the bus, but was worthwhile for the extra retail and rental traffic. 

FreshPow
November 20, 2015
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Hit up the Ski Club of Washington DC's page on meetup.com. They'll post day trips once the season gets going. Folks planning to attend will post up if they have seats to ride up and there's often a caravan meetup at Shady Grove metro (or similar) to catch some folks who might need metro to get out initially.

Often an end of day apres is scheduled either at the hill (local ordinance permitting) or somewhere closer back in town. It's a good varied group. Been a few years since I joined in on one, but it may be just what you're seeking. Then, these weren't considered official Ski Club trips. i.e. no membership required. Just a, you know, meetup. Long live the internet!

jkaplenk
November 20, 2015 (edited November 20, 2015)
Member since 08/31/2015 🔗
45 posts

For those of you who are close to Hampton roads SkiWorld has multiple day, overnight, weekend and week trips.

The week trips would probably be worth the drive or car pooling from DC and further locations to the Hampton Roads pickup points, which are usually VA Beach and Newport News.

Check out:

http://skiworldinc.com/

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?