Thanksgiving?....Fish on!
20 posts
8 users
2k+ views
fishnski
November 5, 2015
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Just to be polite to our Thanksgiving Guests ill hold off on putting a fork in the Turkey but the Grouper have been biting down here on the natures coast of Fl. Hot!.....
rbrtlav
November 5, 2015 (edited November 6, 2015)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

First week in December looks like a pattern change. I'm hoping for thanksgiving skiing in the mid-atlantic, holding out for snowshoe to hit their target date.... but slowly losing hope in that. I'm thinking Sat December 5th and Sat December 12th will be common opening dates around here.

crgildart
November 5, 2015 (edited November 5, 2015)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Our scout troop is headed to the coast to fish, learn some boating skills, and camp the weekend of the 14th-15th.  Prelim forecast has temps in the 60s day and night.  Not looking good for the ski resorts up high in the other end of ths state being open for Thanksgiving weekend though..

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
November 5, 2015
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

yuck.... just... yuck

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 5, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

My wife (a beach lover) has been cruising around in her convertible with the lid down all week with big ole smile on her face.

Is that grounds for divorce?

The19thHole
November 6, 2015
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

My wife (a beach lover) has been cruising around in her convertible with the lid down all week with big ole smile on her face.

Oh my gosh. That put a big smile on my face this morning, Don. Absolutely it's grounds. It's traitorous.

fishnski
November 6, 2015
3,530 posts

The19thHole wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Oh my gosh. That put a big smile on my face this morning, Don. Absolutely it's grounds. It's traitorous.

Thought the wife bit the bullet last year when she tried to take away ur Miller light?...((guilty beer lovers funny face)

The GFS has been trying to bring in a pretty large cold shot across the whole country around the 18th give or take...couple of quick shorter shots coming in sooner seemingly trying to set the big one up....alot of times these big ones keep being put back till they actually hit during this kind of pattern....cold is building and is trying to find its way down......
If we did get a nice sustainable cold shot around the 18th could a place like snowshoe get up and running?
Here is the tease!

rbrtlav
November 6, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'm not anticipating us getting the cold blast we need for Whitetail and Liberty to open for thanksgiving weekend... but I have seen what their snowmaking systems can do in the past. They really only need about 36 hours of great snowmaking conditions to get enough trails for opening weekend. I suspect Snowshoe and 7 Springs are in the same caliber snowmaking systems... as long as it isnt an inversion type thing Snowshoe also seems to have substancially lower temps (5-6 degrees) at the top of the mountain than I have seen reported when I have been there. 

fishnski
November 6, 2015
3,530 posts

Its probably going to come down to a hail mary pass....a nice cold shot with snow...for the mid atlantic...doesnt it always?....
as far as inversion goes rlav.. ive been up at SS during Tgiving where I have seen the snow crews make snow at the very bottom when its too warm up top....very impressive!.....

Where did u take ur troop to Cdart?

crgildart
November 7, 2015
767 posts

fishnski wrote:

Where did u take ur troop to Cdart?

We go lots of different places, going on the third year since crossig the bridge, outings every 4-6 weeks, and we've never been to the same place twice in our experience.  Next weekend we're looking at Oriental, NC out by Atlantic Beach.

Antoine
November 7, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

If I am not mistaken did it not snow a foot in 7s SS and just about anywhere but the snow time hills?

rbrtlav
November 7, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I don't see any snow on webcams...you got my hopes up for a second.

Antoine wrote:

If I am not mistaken did it not snow a foot in 7s SS and just about anywhere but the snow time hills?

Antoine
November 7, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Antoine wrote:

oh geez sorry. I meant last year. Was there not a storm that hit pa and wv?

David
November 7, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Antoine wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

Antoine wrote:

oh geez sorry. I meant last year. Was there not a storm that hit pa and wv?

We skied 1 1/2 feet on the day after Thanksgiving last year! 

fishnski
November 12, 2015
3,530 posts

It would have to be a duzy of a last minute storm to get things up and running...but..a storm that big would have to be dug out from first!....dont see any such storm yet on any man made crystal balls...

fishnski
November 12, 2015 (edited November 12, 2015)
3,530 posts

fishnski wrote:

The19thHole wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Thought the wife bit the bullet last year when she tried to take away ur Miller light?...((guilty beer lovers funny face)

The GFS has been trying to bring in a pretty large cold shot across the whole country around the 18th give or take...couple of quick shorter shots coming in sooner seemingly trying to set the big one up....alot of times these big ones keep being put back till they actually hit during this kind of pattern....cold is building and is trying to find its way down......
If we did get a nice sustainable cold shot around the 18th could a place like snowshoe get up and running?
Here is the tease!

here is the same day look from the GFS 6 days later....not as intense of a cold shot as I suspected and unfortuanetly only lastinig a couple of days...doesnt look to be much more cold action for awhile after that...could change of course but im not bullish....We should embrace this late start though...early starts always fizzle out....suits me...my skiing usually is in feb/march

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 12, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Bummer but thanks for the update Fish.  I guess I'll keep raking leaves and look at webcams out west.

crgildart
November 12, 2015
767 posts

Looks like it will be cold enough up in the NC mountains to start blowing snow and warm enough at the coast this weekend to make our fishing over nighter there quite pleasent.  Best of both worlds!

fishnski
November 18, 2015 (edited November 18, 2015)
3,530 posts
The pre T-Giving cold and snowflakes shot even though looking a little more robust than from previous Fcast, looks to fizzle out early......with the long range not seeing cold come back till the end of Nov or the first of Dec SS has just decided to pull the plug per WGO and their FB page...Soooooo...time to put a fork in that Mid Atlantic Turkey.......hope they didn't waste too much money on trying.....
crgildart
November 26, 2015
767 posts

Webcams showed decent coverage up there today but temps in the 50s means SLUSH... all through the weekend with rain coming Friday night and Saturday afternoon.  Guess we will pass on driving 3 hours up to test that.  Will wait for colder weather and snow instead of slush for the first tracks.  Slush is better for last tracks..

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.