Natural snow VT skiing, 10/18
8 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 19, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Two VT friends posted this today, taken yesterday, at Mad River.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WkVwagPaVf4

God, I miss VT.  Whitegrass too.  I have skied WG on half that much snow in Oct. and once in Sep.

Thurs. and Fri. I hiked carson Pass and Luther Pass, both south of Lake Tahoe, scouting for potential backcountry skiing potential.   driving back thru the central valley after my high country hiking, temp. hit 92.

Antoine
October 19, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Wow i saw this! It was shared by the ski the east Facebook page...

JohnL
October 19, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Denis wrote:

Two VT friends posted this today, taken yesterday, at Mad River.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WkVwagPaVf4

God, I miss VT.  Whitegrass too.  I have skied WG on half that much snow in Oct. and once in Sep.

Thurs. and Fri. I hiked carson Pass and Luther Pass, both south of Lake Tahoe, scouting for potential backcountry skiing potential.   driving back thru the central valley after my high country hiking, temp. hit 92.

Thanks for sharing Denis. I know it's only Birdland, but that's some pretty fast skiing (in spots) for such a low base. I guess if you've hiked it a lot during summer, you generally know what's underneath.

I'm just comparing it to some similar runs at a *cough* local ski area you and I know. Different trust in the terra firma underneath.

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
October 20, 2015
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

Thanks Denis, the video made me grin -- skiing is real again somewhere, coming soon to us I hope

Bonzski
October 21, 2015
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Now that gets yer blood flowing!  The dogs are cool too.

New to the board here but know a few peeps from other places.  Lurked for some time and decided to jump in.  Live in WV, ski mostly the 7Springs to Snowshoe corridor.  Known to trip it to VT, CO, UT and CA.  Here we go!

ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
October 21, 2015
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts

Great to see what had to be some of the first runs of the season. What kinda weird snowboard-looking things were they skiing on?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 21, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Now that gets yer blood flowing!  The dogs are cool too.

New to the board here but know a few peeps from other places.  Lurked for some time and decided to jump in.  Live in WV, ski mostly the 7Springs to Snowshoe corridor.  Known to trip it to VT, CO, UT and CA.  Here we go!

Welcome, Bonzski

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 22, 2015 (edited October 22, 2015)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

ridenski wrote:

Great to see what had to be some of the first runs of the season. What kinda weird snowboard-looking things were they skiing on?

These,  https://marquette-backcountry.com

Justin (he's in the vid) says they are tanks, much better than junk boards, which I have talked about before on DCSki.  Chip showed me a pair once but I don't know if he rents them.  Skiing on a couple inches of light powder over bare ground, you do not want edges.  On any ski you flat ski them and do not hit the edges hard or attempt tight turns.  And, BTW, those guys are extremely good skiers.  They are using 3-pin tele bindings and lightweight 2 buckle teleboots, Garmont Excursion or Scarpa T-4.  They are making parallel turns because they work better under these conditions.  

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?