Blue Knob Gathering Feb. 19-21, 2016 for EpicSki/DCSki
49 posts
13 users
5k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 11, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

It occurred to me that no one had mentioned that there will be a Gathering at Blue Knob the weekend after Pres. Day.  Dates are Feb. 19-21, 2016 but per usual people can come when convenient.  Back to the usual weekend.  The majority of people willing to commit early were more interested in returning to BK.  Especially since the Luau at Timberline in March will be another opportunity to get together.

http://www.epicski.com/t/142700/2016-mid-atlantic-gathering-at-blue-knob-feb-19-21

The organizer of the "family house" last year is organizing a house again.  There are three fathers bringing 5 tweens/teens so far.  I'm going to join them since I've been promised a bedroom.  If you are interested, better to post in the EpicSki thread above.  Can send me a PM here but I don't check in regularly.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 11, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Thanks for posting marznc. I'm so glad others are stepping up to continue the tradition. Right now I'm considering commuting both days but that could change depending on who else shows up. Too early for me to jump on this lodging deal. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 11, 2015 (edited October 15, 2015)
3,246 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Thanks for posting marznc. I'm so glad others are stepping up to continue the tradition. Right now I'm considering commuting both days but that could change depending on who else shows up. Too early for me to jump on this lodging deal. 

I gather last year the first-time families and the regulars had trouble finding each other.  I missed out staying the Family House at BK because I extended my stay at Alta to catch a powder storm.  That won't happen this time with going back to the usual weekend after Pres. Day.  I'm due back after the Aspen Gathering on Feb. 8.  Even if I extend a day or two, will be home well before Feb. 19. :-)

October 12, 2015
2,038 posts

JohnL and JimK and Vince will be in Aspen also. I don't know if either are heading back in time. I haven't heard from jimmy or the rest of the DCSki gang or T-line regulars. I be there at least 1 day but I'm currently planning on both days.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 15, 2015 (edited October 15, 2015)
3,246 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

JohnL and JimK and Vince will be in Aspen also. I don't know if either are heading back in time. I haven't heard from jimmy or the rest of the DCSki gang or T-line regulars. I be there at least 1 day but I'm currently planning on both days.

Vince moved to SLC.  He and JimK will be driving from SLC to Aspen for a long weekend.  The Aspen Gathering is Feb. 3-9.

I was teasing about getting back in time because last year I missed BK because I flew home on Friday instead of Tuesday.  That's why I didn't ride up with crgildart.

crgildart
November 4, 2015 (edited November 4, 2015)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Mountaintop Chalet is officially booked and filled for these dates by the same crew of dads and tweens that stayed over off Rt 66 last year.  Rumor has it the Rt 66 house can be acquired for the same price, roughly $250 per party for 7-8 parties Friday-Sunday.  I don't have the details but I do know we were looing at both options and took the Mountaintop off Jack Rabbit just for a change and slightly easier ski to trail access.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2015
3,246 posts

Another reason we are going with Mountaintop is that the owner has done a fair number of upgrades in the last year or so.  Our organizer (not me) is really, really good at negotiating a deal.  We actually have the house for 4 nights, Thu-Mon.  Needless to say, there are empty beds available on Thu or Sun nights.  I think a few spots for Fri and Sat too.

November 4, 2015
2,038 posts

Nice, we've been doing business with the Thompsons for quite a few years now. Good location for Saturday lunch.

crgildart
February 9, 2016
767 posts

BUMP!  There will be lots of them there.  Cold this week through the weekend pretty much guarantees good coverage there.  Looking like somewhere between 15 and 25 DCr's, Pugr's , and Bears will be there.  We've filled up the upper base one (Mountaintop Chalet).  Anyone else secure any other houses there yet?  The condos across the parking lot should also have available space at this point as well.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 9, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Had planned on coming with JimK.  Unfortunately I will not be able to make it because I'll be at Snowshoe with my sons and grandkids.  The Feb 19 weekend+ is the only free weekend without a kids event this winter!

Enjoy BK, and more importantly each other's company!!

The Colonel

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2016
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Had planned on coming with JimK.  Unfortunately I will not be able to make it because I'll be at Snowshoe with my sons and grandkids.  The Feb 19 weekend+ is the only free weekend without a kids event this winter!

Enjoy BK, and more importantly each other's company!!

The Colonel

Have fun at Snowshoe!  Hopefully the cold weather will last thru the end of Feb.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2016
3,246 posts

crgildart wrote:

BUMP!  There will be lots of them there.  Cold this week through the weekend pretty much guarantees good coverage there.  Looking like somewhere between 15 and 25 DCr's, Pugr's , and Bears will be there.  We've filled up the upper base one (Mountaintop Chalet).  Anyone else secure any other houses there yet?  The condos across the parking lot should also have available space at this point as well.

Also going to be a few Ski Divas driving from Philly who aren't active on the other forums.  One was part of my crew for the Aspen Gathering.  They have a BK condo booked.

kickerfrank
February 11, 2016
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

Kicker Snowsports was invited to be at the EpicSki gathering to do demos. As usual this will be free to all. Please stop by for a chat and to demo!

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 11, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

kickerfrank wrote:

Kicker Snowsports was invited to be at the EpicSki gathering to do demos. As usual this will be free to all. Please stop by for a chat and to demo!

Thanks Frank.  I think you are going to be a popular guy at BK.  Might be able to get you and crew a free meal around 5pm on Sat at a DCSki/EpicSki party on the mtn.  I'll send a PM a couple days in advance if that becomes a sure thing.

Jim K.

crgildart
February 11, 2016 (edited February 11, 2016)
767 posts

We will also likely have some extra grub on hand for drop in guests.  Jim and most know where we are, but for those that are new to this event at BK, family base camp is over here..

February 11, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Will miss you guys and gals this time!  Have fun!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

kickerfrank
February 12, 2016
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

JimK wrote:

Thanks Frank.  I think you are going to be a popular guy at BK.  Might be able to get you and crew a free meal around 5pm on Sat at a DCSki/EpicSki party on the mtn.  I'll send a PM a couple days in advance if that becomes a sure thing.

Jim K.

That's fantastic! Thanks so much.

Bumps
February 12, 2016
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

Every year I have a conflict! Going to Breckinridge that weekend. Extending a CO work trip into weekend. Have fun! Maybe I will make next year.

crgildart
February 15, 2016 (edited February 15, 2016)
767 posts

Looking like we'll be shooting for a lunch party Satrday at 12:30pm.  More meet up times to be added, stay tuned.  Show up with nothing or something, whatever.   Most of us at the house will have Motorola or Cobra waklie talkies on channel 20 (assumimg that BK ski patrol isn't also using that frequency) to keep in touch. Not sure if we'll set a privacy filter, probably just 20 and 0 filter.  The address is 3 Big Snow Lane, but there won't be room to park cars there.  Park at the lodge up top please. 

Tie red ribbon on a pole or two to mark yourself as one of us..

crgildart wrote:

We will also likely have some extra grub on hand for drop in guests.  Jim and most know where we are, but for those that are new to this event at BK, family base camp is over here..

February 15, 2016
2,038 posts

I have yellow ribbons and I'll be wearing a royal blue jacket, Kathy will be in black with pink trim:

your Profile Photo

crgildart
February 15, 2016 (edited February 15, 2016)
767 posts

I'm going retro with a TNF fart bag FTW! 

If it rains I'll be in a huge hooded blue/black/green Columbia shell that covers my butt.

Otherwise going to rock this!

JohnL
February 15, 2016
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Powerwash that siding Charles!

Looks worse than my north-facing siding.

JohnL
February 15, 2016
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

I got a gaudier one-piece that I bought in Canada ~ mid 90's. Neon blue. Dunna if I can still fit in it. Bled profusely on the collar when I needed stitches in my chin. Squaw acceedent.

Those things suck when ya gotta take a dump. Esp @ T-Line.

crgildart
February 15, 2016
767 posts

JohnL wrote:

Powerwash that siding Charles!

Looks worse than my north-facing siding.

Not my house.  Our house was powerwashed before and after the last addition.  That's just a google image of the same suit.

crgildart
February 15, 2016
767 posts

JohnL wrote:

Those things suck when ya gotta take a dump. Esp @ T-Line.

Not so bad when you have your own ski house on the mountain.  Here's yours truly rocking a different fart bag at Blue Knob a couple years ago..

crgildart
February 18, 2016
767 posts

See you tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday morning!

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 18, 2016
2,964 posts

crgildart wrote:

Here's yours truly rocking a different fart bag at Blue Knob a couple years ago..

You have an extremely talented photographer.  Will do my best this weekend to capture your latest thrift shop haute couture :-)

February 18, 2016
2,038 posts

Jim's pefect timing with his camera makes us all look like pros. See yunz there on Saturday. Yellow ribbons, I'll have yellow ribbons.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Make some turns for me.  Years before TL existed I was an Extropervert.  I love that run.  I'd watch the predicted high temp for DC in the spring and if it were 55 deg or better, I'd head for Blue Knob.  I once did 28 telemark runs in one day on Extrovert.  That was 30 years ago.  One of the lifts had a midstation unload so that you could cycle it all day with just a very short inrun and outrun.   Couldn't do that in my dreams now.

camp
February 18, 2016
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Denis wrote:

... I once did 28 telemark runs in one day on Extrovert.  That was 30 years ago.  ...

It may be old memories for you Denis, but it hasn't left my mind since the first time I read that. I'm probably ~15 or so yrs younger than you, and I think I'm in great shape, but I'm sure i will never manage 28 runs on Extrovert in a day, or even in a season. And I do love Extrovert and all of Blue Knob's lower mountain.  You are a special kind of skier, and I'm glad you're getting a proper western season now. Kill it for all of us

February 19, 2016
2,038 posts

Denis, 28 runs in a day? In my youth I was happy to get the cost of a weekend lift tickets worth of runs in on the entire mountain in a day and I bet that weekend ticket then cost $3 less than the number of runs you did on Extrovert. Right now, Blue Knob has the most "technical" terrain in PA but next season Laurel will rival when covered in a good coat of natural. 

Enjoy Kirkwood and the family. We are the lucky ones, if you catch the reference.

crgildart
February 21, 2016
767 posts

As usual we has zero Verizon cell coverage at The Knob, but at least our chair lifts worked.

Photos posted over at PugSki at the link below.  Feel free to use as you choose, cross posting is fine with me..

http://forum.pugski.com/threads/mid-atlantic-and-southeast-skiing-blue-knob-gathering-feb-19-21.99/page-3#post-25638

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 21, 2016
2,964 posts
February 21, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Great pictures, really hated to miss this!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

February 21, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Great pictures, really hated to miss this!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 22, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Great pics.  Would have loved to have been there.

Just a Skosh
February 22, 2016
Member since 12/3/2015 🔗
5 posts

Think I saw you guys out there, looked like fun.  I was the guy in the tank top.

miamichillin99
February 22, 2016
Member since 01/25/2013 🔗
19 posts

Looks like a great time guys.  Next time I will have to find a way to make it.  Anyone still left there?  Thinking about heading out tomorrow for the day.  How were the conditions?

crgildart
February 22, 2016
767 posts

miamichillin99 wrote:

Looks like a great time guys.  Next time I will have to find a way to make it.  Anyone still left there?  Thinking about heading out tomorrow for the day.  How were the conditions?

Conditions were good Saturday morning but thinning fast.  The blew all they could Wednesday to Friday morning. Not sure why the guns weren't running Friday though.  I missed Sunday but it was looking pretty slushy as we headed out to return home.

kickerfrank
February 22, 2016
Member since 01/7/2015 🔗
27 posts

It wsa my first time up to Blue Knob. It was a fun weekend hanging out with Epic/Pug/DC skiers. Great hospitality! you guys certainly kept us busy. I think that was our busiest demo weekend yet.

What really made it a busy weekend is that you guys love to talk! We got a lot of customers from you guys chatting about us in the lodge and on the chair lift.  Thanks so much!

crgildart
February 22, 2016
767 posts

kickerfrank wrote:

It wsa my first time up to Blue Knob. It was a fun weekend hanging out with Epic/Pug/DC skiers. Great hospitality! you guys certainly kept us busy. I think that was our busiest demo weekend yet.

What really made it a busy weekend is that you guys love to talk! We got a lot of customers from you guys chatting about us in the lodge and on the chair lift.  Thanks so much!

I talked to a guy on the chair skiing on some late 80s Olins and told him to go check out your demo tent.  I bet that was future shock on overdrive if he went from those to a pair of symetrical cut skis hahahaha..

miamichillin99
February 22, 2016
19 posts

sounds like a blast.  If anyone is still there tomorrow, shoot me a message.  I hope conditions hold up.  It's looking like rain in the afternoon.

miamichillin99
February 23, 2016
19 posts

Less than optimal today. Patches of dirt and foggy. But still fun to be out here. 

crgildart
February 23, 2016
767 posts

Skiing with patches of rocks and dirt usually still beats not skiing as long as you didn't wreck your only pair of skis.

TomH
February 23, 2016
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Heh guys.  How does Blue Knob compare to TL in terms of terrain, natural snow, and snow making?

Thanks

crgildart
February 23, 2016
767 posts

TomH wrote:

Heh guys.  How does Blue Knob compare to TL in terms of terrain, natural snow, and snow making?

Thanks

Extrovert at BK is like Off the Wall x 2. The rest matches up pretty well in terms of terrain, lifts, and snow making infrastructure/coverage. 

JohnL
February 23, 2016
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

TomH wrote:

Thanks

Blue Knob's trails are more challenging and more interesting than TLine's; TLine has much better glades. BK has had way too much erosion in the trees due to logging.

Extrovert is the most challenging trail in the Mid - A; it is legit. It can be extremely icy.

The valley gets a lot more snow on average.

Blue Knob's snowmaking and trail ski surface suck compared to TLine's.

Blue Knob is a fun mountain. My old tag line used to be: "Blue Knob. It out Timberlines Timberline."

February 23, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Icy trails at BlueKnob is frequently referred to as "Blue Knob Powder"!!!

February 23, 2016
2,038 posts

Yes to the above. John, there are some more glades cleared that are not on the map but there was not enough snow this years. The only glades I skied at BK tis season was the relatively short Triple Glades this past weekend.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.