Snowshoe backcountry or glades?
14 posts
8 users
4k+ views
ahpski
September 24, 2015
Member since 09/23/2015 🔗
11 posts

Hey everyone, Im new to the DC community.  Im writing to ask if anyone has much experience with backcountry skiing adjacent to or around the Snowshoe area.  I know about Hawthorne, but does anyone know of quality drive-to or hike-to descents within the mountains surrounding the resort?  Also, I am suprised how little activity there is clearing and pruning the woods within the resort itself.  Help me out guys!!!!!!  A larger group of individuals who did a little "trail work" from time to time would do wonders for the place.  T-line, WG, and MPC get all the love for backcountry spots but Snowshoe and the surrounding area has to have plenty of options as well.  Thoughts??

David
September 24, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

This video looks farily interesting. May be about all you can find on the matter. Also, I do remember seeing a video of a guy skiing/snowboarding a right of way off of the top of Snowshoe a few years back. This isn't the video but it may be the same location. 

David
September 24, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

This is a great video too. Lots of poaching going on, which may or may not get you in trouble at the Shoe. Watch with about a minute left and he does do some "backcountry" skiing on unoffical trails. 

ahpski
September 27, 2015
11 posts

Yeah, those are good areas for sure. Still looking for new areas though around the resort or within a short drive.  

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 27, 2015 (edited September 27, 2015)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

There is an inn near Snowshoe that may still rent Nordic equipment.  Check the website for the Elk River Touring Company

ertc.com

The Colonel

eggraid
September 28, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Apparently there will be a small gladed section between Shay's and Cupp this year. There are also a few glades on the black over at Silver Creek. I feel like Silver Creek would be a great place to expand on the Glades, to get more people over there. some green or blue glades would be a lot of fun too. I agree that SS needs some pruning love.

Snowshoe is pretty touchy about poaching FYI. My kids and I have gotten a stern talking to just for looping around a single tree off the trail. 

jimw
September 30, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Great to see SS adding more glades...hope it continues wiith new slopes also.  Sawmill and Camp 99 was a great addition to the mountain...a lot better than I anticipated.  

Has anyone done any backcounty off off the Hidhland Scenic HIghway?

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
September 30, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

jimw wrote:

Great to see SS adding more glades...

They are getting busy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=38&v=WQGtK08zyvU

ahpski
September 30, 2015
11 posts

Sweet vid, thanks. Those new glades should be fun. Everyone should spread the word to continue clipping trails when out there in the summer/fall though.  Every littlie bit pays off.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 1, 2015 (edited October 1, 2015)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Sad.  Those glades are way overthinned.  You cut saplings only, with under 1 inch diameter, plus underbrush.  glades cut by ski area management are almost always overthinned, Jay peak is a prime example.  Cherry bowl at Timberlne is another.  The best glades are cut quietly and secretly by backcountry skiers using hand tools only, loppers and bow saws.  Such glades exist at Mad River, Stowe, Sugarbush and a few other places.  Entrances are always hidden and there is always an entrance exam, normally 4-6' of mandatory air off a ledge.  This keeps out those who lack the skills to be there.  I have skied past some of those entrances for years, never suspecting they were there.  If the trail cutters have been properly mentored, the entrance exam is also a promise that you will not be stranded in the woods by something more difficult.  

Ski areas are businesses, are liability conscious, and they are simply not going to cut runs such as skiers themselves make surreptitiously in the north country.

ahpski
October 1, 2015
11 posts

Agree to all of the above Denis. Still, there is lots of potential at Snowshoe to be pruned properly. 

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 1, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Denis wrote:

Sad.  Those glades are way overthinned.  You cut saplings only, with under 1 inch diameter, plus underbrush.  glades cut by ski area management are almost always overthinned, Jay peak is a prime example.  Cherry bowl at Timberlne is another.  The best glades are cut quietly and secretly by backcountry skiers using hand tools only, loppers and bow saws.  Such glades exist at Mad River, Stowe, Sugarbush and a few other places.  Entrances are always hidden and there is always an entrance exam, normally 4-6' of mandatory air off a ledge.  This keeps out those who lack the skills to be there.  I have skied past some of those entrances for years, never suspecting they were there.  If the trail cutters have been properly mentored, the entrance exam is also a promise that you will not be stranded in the woods by something more difficult.  

Ski areas are businesses, are liability conscious, and they are simply not going to cut runs such as skiers themselves make surreptitiously in the north country.

So true and the thing that gets me is the overly thinned glade invites more traffic and higher speed. You would hope that management should rethink that. Keep a few wide open glades on flatter terrain on the map for the tourist then just let the expert glades happen. Sounds good to me.

eggraid
October 5, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I don't think that area is very steep, if I remember.

ahpski
October 22, 2015
11 posts

Well spread the word and lets make those expert glades happen

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.