Fire at ski lodge in Ohio last night
10 posts
6 users
2k+ views
AndyGene
September 17, 2015
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

I know I'm probably the only person here that has ever skiied at Mad River Mountain (not Glen).  But I sitll wanted to share this.  This was my home hill until I moved earlier this year.  That bar has been home to many amazing nights.  I really hope they can scrap together something and open for the season.  Luckily this building mainly housed the bar and cafeteria.  The operations and ski rental were in a different building.

http://www.examiner.org/news/55011-ski-lodge-catches-fire

KeithT
September 17, 2015
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts

Tough news and thanks for posting Andy.  For those DC skiers that may not know it, this was the home mountain and career start of Olympian Louie Vito and some of his memorabila on the lodge wall, went up in flames.  Peak Resorts runs this place, along with Mount Snow, Atttitash, Crotched, Wildcat and Jack Frost/Big Boulder in the east, so I am sure they will recover quickly. 

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/marysville/news/2010/02/06/0207malocal-olympian_ln.html

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 18, 2015 (edited September 18, 2015)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

This is a shame.  I skied there a few years ago.  Its a place that has soul, despite lmited vertical.  I was driving from Fairfax to see my son in Chicago.  It's an easy 2 day drive but more than I care to do in one.  Got the idea, as a longtime Mad River Glen shareholder, to see what this place was like.  I had the famous Mad River Glen Ski it if You Can sticker on my skis and was noticed by a patroller.  We skied several runs together and he invited me to join him and fellow patrollers for lunch.  He was the son of the founder and had a lot of history in his head.  I gave out my remaining supply of MRG stickers to him and my new friends, left after lunch and drove on to Chicago.  

On another winter visit to my son, I skied a half day of XC in glorious new powder at Cuyahoga Valley National Park in northeast Ohio, one of the newest in the NPS system.  It was done in cold crisp solitude on rolling hills and meadows.  I posted to DCSki on both adventures but have no link; it appears that posts are lost after 2 years.  I highly recommend carrying ski gear in your car on any winter drive, and giving in to the lure of serendipitous adventure.  Most often my unplanned experiences have been on XC skis, e.g. a pass in the high desert of Nevada's Great Basin, a roadside rest on the prairie of western MN, etc.

wgo
September 18, 2015
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Denis, I was able to find the post you are referring to by bringing up the list of all your posts and using the browser page search to look for "Cuyahoga". The post is there, from Feb 5 2011
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 18, 2015
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Denis wrote:

On another winter visit to my son, I skied a half day of XC in glorious new powder at Cuyahoga Valley National Park in northeast Ohio, one of the newest in the NPS system.  It was done in cold crisp solitude on rolling hills and meadows.  I posted to DCSki on both adventures but have no link; it appears that posts are lost after 2 years.  I highly recommend carrying ski gear in your car on any winter drive, and giving in to the lure of serendipitous adventure.  Most often my unplanned experiences have been on XC skis, e.g. a pass in the high desert of Nevada's Great Basin, a roadside rest on the prairie of western MN, etc.

Hmm..  Not sure why this thread seems to have "cloned itself."

Denis, posts on DCSki don't expire.  Are you talking about the following from four years ago?

Skiing Cuyahoga Valley National Park

If you go to the following page you can see a list of every post you've made to the DCSki Forums (looks like your first was in July, 2004):

http://www.dcski.com/profiles/index.php?user_id=10

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 18, 2015 (edited September 18, 2015)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Thanks Scott for all you do.  I wasn't going to reply, but decided that you'd probably like to know of glitches people have found.  

Where I looked was a button called, "view posts you have started", it took me back only 2 years.  Didn't realize there was more than one way to do this.  On another note, when I get an email of a new private message, the link in it doesn't work.  

JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 19, 2015
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Interesting link.  Don't know how you got that, but for fun I started substituting other numbers besides 10 at the end and it led me to see lists of all posts from many other users.  1 is JohnL, Laurel Hill Crazie is 16.  I am 7.  It seems to be based roughly on how many overall posts you have made.  For example Connie Lawn is 123 and has about that many total posts in the forum.

Scott - DCSki Editor
September 19, 2015
1,249 posts

JimK wrote:

Interesting link.  Don't know how you got that, but for fun I started substituting other numbers besides 10 at the end and it led me to see lists of all posts from many other users.  1 is JohnL, Laurel Hill Crazie is 16.  I am 7.  It seems to be based roughly on how many overall posts you have made.  For example Connie Lawn is 123 and has about that many total posts in the forum.

You get to that link by clicking on an author's name (e.g., in the top left corner of any forum post).  The numbers are just database IDs for each user, and generally correlate to when the account was originally created (lower numbers are earlier).  However, the numbers got jumbled a bit when I last did a major rewrite of Tapioca and migrated the database (e.g., I'm user ID 25 although I was probably #1 on the old site).

Scott - DCSki Editor
September 19, 2015
1,249 posts

Denis wrote:

Thanks Scott for all you do.  I wasn't going to reply, but decided that you'd probably like to know of glitches people have found.  

Where I looked was a button called, "view posts you have started", it took me back only 2 years.  Didn't realize there was more than one way to do this.  On another note, when I get an email of a new private message, the link in it doesn't work.  

Hi Denis, I'm always happy to hear about glitches.  There are definitely some bugs lurking in the DCSki code.

The "view posts you have started" link will show the last 50 posts you have made.  If you click on a user's name (for example, on the top left corner of any post they make), that takes you to a page that gives more info about that user, with the option of viewing all the posts they've ever made.

I just took a look at the link in the private message notification e-mails.  That link goes to:

http://www.dcski.com/me/inbox.php

That link should work if you're logged in (for example, if you've set DCSki to remember your login and you're on the same computer), but I did find a bug if you're not already logged in -- DCSki was re-directing to the wrong place.  Now, if you click on the link and you're not logged in, you should be prompted to log in.  Once you log in, DCSki should then re-direct you to your message inbox.  If you still notice any problems with that process, let me know.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 19, 2015 (edited September 19, 2015)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Scott wrote:

You get to that link by clicking on an author's name... 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.