Snow Vehicle
8 posts
5 users
2k+ views
rbrtlav
August 13, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'm looking to get a second vechicle to compliment my RWD car that admitingly is not the best vechicle to drive in the snow. (Although it handled 1-2" of a surprise snow storm on the last 30-50 miles up to snowshoe suprisingly well, I'd prefer to never do that drive in the snow again with that car. Probably the most stressful driving experience I have ever had, despite the car almost never sliding with me taking my time... but thats another story) I was originally thinking some varient of a subaru wagon, but in reality that doesn't really allow for beach driving and is still kind of difficult to fit a mountain bike with 29" tires in. So I still have some of the same issues I have with the FRS, but to a lesser extent. Right now I am leaning towards a 4X4 Toyota Tacoma.

Thoughts and past experiences? Thanks in Advance.

As a sidenote, I learned more in that hour and a half of driving in the snow than I think I have learned in the previous 9 years, engine braking works wonders and as was proven by the Toyota 4 Runner on its side near Cass its not so much being able to move, but also being able to stop. 

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
August 13, 2015
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback. I drive it on the Delaware Beaches. The park ranger told me Outbacks are common on the beach. I have a Point 65n modular kayak. I fit all three kayak sections in the back of my car. I also have a kayak rack so I can put the kayak on the roof when traveling with the family. I have never owned a Subaru until this car. I love this car and I highly recommend it. It is also very good in snowy conditions. A pick up truck is handy, but it has it's limitations. They also tend use more fuel.

David
August 14, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

I'm a believer in the Outback as well. You can throw a bike on top or behind...

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
August 15, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Right now I am leaning towards a 4X4 Toyota Tacoma.

I basically flipped a coin between a Tacoma and Nissan Frontier.  I went with a quad cab Frontier.  Seats 4 adults and plenty of room for ski gear.  Drove it on the beaches of outer banks last summer and been to most ski places in the mid atlantic.  Gas mileage sucks but as noted above, trucks are VERY handy.  ”‹

rbrtlav
August 15, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Drove it on the beaches of outer banks last summer and been to most ski places in the mid atlantic.  Gas mileage sucks but as noted above, trucks are VERY handy.  ”‹

Outer banks would bet he beaches I would be on...I can honestly say I don't remember seeing any Subaru cars on the beach there, my concern would be ground clearance. I'm not sure of Delaware beaches are more packed or not, but even in my friends escape I thought we were cutting it close as far as clearance. 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
August 16, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

”‹Outer banks would bet he beaches I would be on.

NOTE: - lower the tire pressure when driving on the beach.  I almost got stuck once and asked a local what the secret was.

crgildart
August 16, 2015 (edited August 16, 2015)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Went from a Trooper LS to a Forester in 2009 when the Isuzu got elderly in miles and a little less reliable, never left me stranded on a trip.  Very happy with both experiences.  Just got back from a summer trip with the Forester.  With comparable tires deep snow traction goes to the Trooper due to ground clearance.  Slippery switchback handling goes to the Forester though so tradeoffs with both being good solid ski vehicles.

rbrtlav
August 23, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I need up picking up the Tacoma, drove a crosstrex a bit and it just wasn't quite what I wanted....and I didn't really want to go forester. I know Subaru makes amazing cars but the Tacoma seemed more in line with what I wanted as far as ground clearance and difference from my existing car. Seemed like the outback and the crosstrex  would be better suited to replace my car and not supplement it, whereas the truck provided other benefits. 

Now the only issue is finding a way to secure equipment in the bed of a truck.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?