Canaan winter rental
9 posts
7 users
3k+ views
tcichecki
August 3, 2015
Member since 04/4/2014 🔗
12 posts

Hi All - long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking into renting a 2-3 bedroom house or condo near Canaan Valley to rent over the winter months - December through March. I've tried reaching out to a few rental companies but I've only heard of short term rentals and no solid leads.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for this type of rental? If anyone has experience, what is a normal monthly/winter rate for this area?

Thanks everyone!! 

bob
August 4, 2015 (edited August 4, 2015)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

You could try VRBO or similiar competing websites

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/west-virginia/canaan-valley

tcichecki
September 16, 2015
Member since 04/4/2014 🔗
12 posts

Thanks, Bob. I've looked over VRBO, AirBNB, Homeaway as well as few others. We've done this in the past for a two trips a year but this year im hoping to find an apartment or condo I could rent for 4 months straight. My wife and I work from home a few days a week and it would be nice to have a weekend vacation spot for the ski season. The vacation rental sites rarely have a cost break for weekly or monthly stays. I'm hoping to find something for around 1000/month or 4k total winter season. 

Surly there has to be empty rental condos that have limited exposure over the fall/winter months. I'm hoping to get in contact with a few realestate companies later in the fall.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any contacts in the area! 

Cheers,
Tj

DC_Dave
September 17, 2015
Member since 01/6/2010 🔗
6 posts

Only place I can think of that meets your criteria is Land of Canaan, but they're $750/wk during the winter.  That said, they may take $4k for a longer period.  Good luck - see you on the slopes!

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
September 17, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

tcichecki wrote:

I'm hoping to find something for around 1000/month or 4k total winter season. 

Tj

As a property owner at another resort (Snowshoe) , I think you'll need to be a little flexible on your budget, location and # bedrooms.  Now that most of the resorts in WV (SS, CV and TL) are selling dirt cheap season passes, the demand / price of lodging has really gone up.  Couple that with the improved roads  - Weekends are like gold now in the hills of WV.

I'm not trying to be a Smart Arse here - but the rental agencies and homeowners are well aware of the increased demand.

jimmy
September 17, 2015 (edited September 17, 2015)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

tcichecki wrote:

Thanks, Bob. I've looked over VRBO, AirBNB, Homeaway as well as few others. We've done this in the past for a two trips a year but this year im hoping to find an apartment or condo I could rent for 4 months straight. My wife and I work from home a few days a week and it would be nice to have a weekend vacation spot for the ski season. The vacation rental sites rarely have a cost break for weekly or monthly stays. I'm hoping to find something for around 1000/month or 4k total winter season. 

Surly there has to be empty rental condos that have limited exposure over the fall/winter months. I'm hoping to get in contact with a few realestate companies later in the fall.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any contacts in the area! 

Cheers,
Tj

That is your best bet. They usually have for sale listings to rent and longer term rentals but won't know what is available until late October. Might start bugging them soon. 

eggraid
September 17, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

The further away you're willing to go the more likely you are to find a deal like that. As an owner of a 3 BR condo in Snowshoe, I wouldn't be willing to do that either. If you are flexibile in location you could find something I bet.

Thefirewarde
September 17, 2015
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts

I had a small apartment in Davis last season, for around $450/mo, if that gives you any help. If you can go there and look around, a lot of the places there may not have much of a web presence. 

tcichecki
September 17, 2015
Member since 04/4/2014 🔗
12 posts

Thefirewarde wrote:

I had a small apartment in Davis last season, for around $450/mo, if that gives you any help. If you can go there and look around, a lot of the places there may not have much of a web presence. 

Awesome, thanks! This is was I was imagining but good to hear. I may take a day trip out that way later this fall in hopes of finding a place. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?