7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
hoyadrew
April 9, 2015
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

http://www.wvcorridorh.com/route/map4.html

Anyone able to confirm that this section will be completed around fall of this year?  That would mean everything except I-81 to Wardensville would be open for people going from DC to Canaan Valley area, right?

snapdragon
April 9, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

I have been told by a WVDOT employee working on the project that the section between the current exit before Mt Storm and onto Davis should be open this Fall.  That is the goal.  Road construction is dependent on weather and we all know what kind of weather to expect on top of this mountain in WV.  The long bridge over the gorge below Mt Storm will definitely be open.  Regardless, my commute has gone from 169 miles down to 150 miles however the travel time has gone from 3.5 hours down to 2.5 hours due to the increased speeds.  Lastly, the safety factor alone is what really matters in my opinion.

JohnL
April 9, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

I dunno if it will be fully open. They will have a lot more of it open. Still a lot of earth moving in spots, digging up of I-93, the bridge near the Juvie center, etc. Looks like more tree clearing needs to be done near Route 32.

Anyone know where the current segment will end? Right at Route 32?

chaga
May 28, 2015 (edited May 28, 2015)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

this won't really help the dc area get here faster to be able to have more time to sit on the lifts, but it's the latest news.... :)

http://www.aashtojournal.org/Pages/StateDotNewsDetail.aspx?MessageId=27641

snapdragon
May 28, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

Sweet!  No more jacked up potholes in front of the power plant and no more waiting for the coal train to pass at the grade crossing. This was the last major bridge to open so now just a bit of earth removal and pour down the concrete roadway.  2 hours now from bad-ass Burke to demon-dog Davis.  I could almost be a commuter.  Anyone up for a carpool this winter?  

jimmy
May 28, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

wow 2 hours is just a day trip

Norsk
May 28, 2015
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

In my unscientific sample of "people I rode chairlifts with" this past season at Timberline, I noticed a lot more people who had daytripped from Northern VA than ever before.  I think the word is getting out, slowly, that its only 2-2.5 hrs from Loudoun, 2.5 from Fairfax, etc.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?