2 users
1k+ views
Connie Lawn - DCSki Columnist
March 23, 2015
Member since 04/19/2009 🔗
138 posts

Snow Time ”“ Another Great Season ”“ 2014-2015

March 22, 2015    Connie Lawn and Charles Sneiderman

Closing days are always bittersweet, but we could not ask for a more perfect day to end a wonderful season!   My husband Charles and I visited one of our favorite local areas ”“ Liberty Mountain Resort, close to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The temperature was listed as 43 degrees, the sun was shining for most of the day, and 16 trails and 8 lifts were open. Liberty received 4 inches of natural snow Friday, and well groomed trails kept the snow on most of the slopes. Towards the end of the afternoon, some bare spots emerged, but the white trails were a marked contrast to the brown and green golf course, farm fields, and forests nearby.

The sister resorts, Whitetail and Roundtop, also had great conditions. Whitetail won the sweepstakes again ”“ their season started first and they raced ahead with 104 days. Liberty and Roundtop were open for 98 days. The conditions were so good, skiing and snowboarding could continue, but the crowds were not there. In fact, on closing Sunday there were no crowds or waiting lines at the lifts.  It is expensive to keep an area open, once attention turns to golf and swimming. But I bet some hardy souls hiked up and enjoyed some final runs before all the snow melts. This has been a very cold and snowy winter ”“ who knows what surprises nature still has in store?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Like snow flurries tonight!  Thank you Connie for your wonderful articles.

The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?