Snowshoe in the rain - March 10,1015
4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
Connie Lawn - DCSki Columnist
March 10, 2015
Member since 04/19/2009 🔗
138 posts

Charles and I are exploring other adventuresas the rain and fog destroy the snow. We are checking out the new Corduroy Inn and will keep you posted!

March 10, 2015
138 posts

Charles disagrees with my gloomy prediction. He says there is plenty of snowpack left and the groomers here are fantastic. He says he has not heard the fat lady even open her mouth let alone sing the last aria! More to follow.

March 10, 2015
138 posts

Springtime at Snowshoe

Connie Lawn and Charles Sneiderman

March 10, 2015

The next best thing to a ski trip Out West is the Western Territory of Snowshoe Mountain, West Virginia.  We were guests of the owner of the new Corduroy Inn which is across the street from the Western Territories with its black diamond Cupp Run and double black diamond Shay’s Revenge.  These trails drop 1500 vertical feet over one mile which is the biggest drop in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast region. We had beautiful weather for our long drive which took us through many of the state’s most spectacular natural attractions, including Smoke Hole Caverns, Seneca Rocks, Dolly Sods wilderness, Spruce Knob, and the Monongahela National Forest.  We stopped briefly at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank and the historic town of Cass with its narrow gauge logging railroad; both are within a half hour drive of Snowshoe and offer daytime alternatives to snow sports on the mountain.

In addition to its convenient location immediately adjacent to ski lifts servicing both sides of the mountain, the Corduroy has a Tuscan-themed Alpine Ristorante in the building, the Line Shack for lunch, and the adjacent Trailside Cafe for a quick breakfast. The Corduroy has only 12 units and they are in high demand. The first floor has hotel rooms which are disabled and child accessible; the upper floor has loft suites. You climb a winding staircase to get to the loft, but the large, comfortable bed is worth it!  We stayed in a studio suite; one bedroom loft suites are available and can sleep up to eight.  All units have gas fireplaces framed in local stone.  All have satellite TV and high speed wireless internet. Each suite has a phone with free long distance service; that turned out to be essential to us because cell phones service is very limited at Snowshoe to avoid interference with the nearby National Radio Astronomy Observatory. The bath and dressing areas have thermostat-controlled heated flooring and heated towel racks.  Construction of an onsite fitness center and outdoor salt water hot tub will begin this year.

The rooms were cozy, which proved to be beneficial on a foggy, windy, and rainy day. We looked across the tops of the snow covered pine trees, as they swayed in the wind. Charles had looked forward to trying high performance skis from the Mountain Adventure Center on Cupp Run but the skies opened before the slopes opened and dampened his enthusiasm. The weather washed our plans to ski, but we were pleased to spend some time with David Begg and his staff of instructors at the Adaptive Sports Center housed at Snowshoe’s adjacent Silver Creek area. They are in partnership with Challenged Athletes of West Virginia.  David has directed the program for over 30 years.  He has a leg amptation as a result of an accident in the early 1980s, so he teaches from experience. This year 18 wounded military veterans participated in the center’s Warrior Weekend event in late February. Friends and family members brought the total hosted by the resort to 65.

The other opportunities available to guests at the Corduroy include visits to the Spa and Split Rocks Aquatic Center with its heated indoor-outdoor pool and hot tubs. That’s the way to get wet at Snowshoe and really enjoy it! Snowshoe hopes to keep the ski slopes open until the first weekend in April. This has been a record season for them opening the day before Thanksgiving with over 300,000 visits to the lifts. There are numerous activities all year. Many of the homeowners and staff live and work at Snowshoe all year, providing a real sense of community.  

jimw
March 11, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

It sounds very nice with a great location!!!  .I'm glad to see someone has purchased the building and remodeled it.  I need to stop by and have lunch the next time I'm up.

I am surprised a one bedroom can sleep 8 people.  I've seen other units advertise this also....

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?