Where to go, where to go? With the snow tonight, where to go Tuesday and Wednesday...
9 posts
7 users
1k+ views
mook21
February 16, 2015
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

Here in Winchester, so already part of the way to the hills. Thinking about Timberline, Blue Knob, Whitetail or Wintergreen. Not up for 3 hr drive to Snowshoe tomorrow morning, so its off the list for tomorrow. Looks like the storm is more to the south and may just give Whitetail a glancing blow, but not sure but will be in high 20's and easy roads. Timberline calling for 5"-10", will be in mid teens, with snow may be a longer drive. Will this snow open the glades including Cherry Bowl? Blue Knob looks to get the least snow, but again would like some opinions. Never been to Wintergreen, how is it after new snow?? Do they groom it too quickly or leave some powder? How's the terrain?

David
February 16, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

I'd go to Timberline if I were you. My guess is that the mountain will be open top to bottom. You dream it up and you can ski it. 

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2015
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Wintergreen (2 hrs from Winchester under good conditions) does a great job with new snow, and they lay down machine-made snow quickly.  They should get the most from this storm.

Have fun!

Woody

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

If I were still living in NVA and for some reason couldn't escape work for a lift served ski day, I'd put my XC skis in the car and get in an hour or two after work on a local golf course.  

chaga
February 16, 2015
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

I would go to white grass and ski it in all it's glory right now. Unless you are too afraid that you can't hack it, and just like skiing in sterile environments with big mechanical structures and condos all around that is :)

rbrtlav
February 16, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Might try and go to Whitetail or Liberty for a night session after work tomorrow depending on road conditions. If anyone else heads out that way lemme know.

David
February 16, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

chaga wrote:

I would go to white grass and ski it in all it's glory right now. Unless you are too afraid that you can't hack it, and just like skiing in sterile environments with big mechanical structures and condos all around that is :)

I thought we were supposed to be cutting down on the animosity here? 

As for me, I'll be up at 04:15 to get a 2 hr XC ski in at Coopers Rock State Forest before work. Chaga, could you hack skiing that early?? 

hoyadrew
February 17, 2015 (edited February 17, 2015)
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

Just got home from Snowshoe right now.  If it weren't for the INSANE road conditions and epic 10 hour drive home, I'd say enjoy the powder that we enjoyed earlier today there.

mook21
February 17, 2015
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

Thanks everyone! Chaga, you are right on with Whitegrass, great place, but not with teenage kids. XC brings out their whining (no lifts? We climb the mountain? I can see ski lifts on both sides, etc) about the time we hit the parking lot, so will do that on my own and ride some mechanical devices today. 

At least here in Winchester, doesn't seem like we got nearly as much as called for

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.