Presidents day signals the end of the season.....booooo!
10 posts
8 users
1k+ views
Sincraft
February 13, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

Maybe it is the same elsewhere however 7Springs/Hidden Valley in PA STOP making snow after presidents day.  They work to put equipment away.  The only areas they may make snow are slow areas where they can tow a portable unit to, and that's rare.

Sadly, I mud was already starting to show through on even the not so steep areas at 7Springs last Sunday.

I fear this is going to be an early closing year.  I held out hope that we would have a snowy Feb only to have those hopes dashed.

Here's to next year!

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 13, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Did you miss the fact that Snowshoe plans to be open through Easter in early April?

sailandski22
February 18, 2015
Member since 02/13/2014 🔗
24 posts

This is way to negative! Think snow! I will raise my glass to this season when im good and ready

its not often i get to break out the x-country skis in arlington and managed to do so yesterday!

we might have another good storm this season to put late march into play.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Sincraft - you may have vodoo magic.  It has snowed every day here in Western PA since you posted this.

I hope all the yinzers are skiing in April.  My season ends March 29.  Mrs BD says it's time for a beach trip over Easter break.

crgildart
February 18, 2015
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

So lame.  Winter is just now starting to get cranked up.  They should really think about shifting ski season from  late November-March to late December-April.  Golf and bikes should then be May-November..

camp
February 18, 2015
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Did you miss the fact that Snowshoe plans to be open through Easter in early April?

Just curious, is this posted somewhere?  I'm seeing a lot of resorts listing Saturday 4/4 as their closing date (in my ski app), which means not open on Easter Sunday.  Considering a trip to Snowshoe/Elk River if Snowshoe may still be open

Antoine
February 18, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Anyone know any resort where you can hike up without it being "trespassing"?

Sincraft
February 18, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

well...geesh now look.   7S is making snow past presidents day and as someone else pointed out, they have received a good bit of constant fresh stuff since I posted last!  Optimal snow making conditions tonight!

Mid March closing with poor conditions was looking like what we could expect this year.  When I skied a couple weeks ago during a Sunday in the 50's, there was mud showing through in many areas, not just 'slow' areas.  Shortly before that, there was little to no snow on non-snowmaking areas.   Much different today.

I expect this Saturday with the warm up to be an absolute ZOO.  I hope they cash in because its apparent to me that they are probably down about 30% from the normal crowds this year. 

Kudos to 7Springs. Now get to work on new terrain, family season passes, a high speed quad on north face. :)

jimmy
February 20, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Sincraft wrote:

well...geesh now look.   7S is making snow past presidents day and as someone else pointed out, they have received a good bit of constant fresh stuff since I posted last!  Optimal snow making conditions tonight!

Mid March closing with poor conditions was looking like what we could expect this year.  When I skied a couple weeks ago during a Sunday in the 50's, there was mud showing through in many areas, not just 'slow' areas.  Shortly before that, there was little to no snow on non-snowmaking areas.   Much different today.

I expect this Saturday with the warm up to be an absolute ZOO.  I hope they cash in because its apparent to me that they are probably down about 30% from the normal crowds this year. 

Kudos to 7Springs. Now get to work on new terrain, family season passes, a high speed quad on north face. :)

Be glad you are not a Timberline pass holder. They can expect mid-March closing with the best conditions of the year.............

Sincraft
February 20, 2015 (edited February 20, 2015)
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

jimmy wrote:

Sincraft wrote:

Be glad you are not a Timberline pass holder. They can expect mid-March closing with the best conditions of the year.............

Really?  7Spring stays open when there is nothing but mud fields to ski through to get to the slopes/trails.   I've been there helping shovel snow connecting two halves of a slope together.  As long as they have a couple/few slopes still connected from top to bottom or, a pile of snow to move around each day to make that happen, they remain open

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?