Colorado Rental/trip advice
6 posts
3 users
1k+ views
sailandski22
February 13, 2015
Member since 02/13/2014 🔗
24 posts

Im looking for some advice on where/what to rent when i make my first trip out west in a month. Luckily i have friends willing to give me floor space in Basalt for 2 days (probably skiing snowmass) and 2 days in silverthorne (skiing either copper, keystone, maybe A-Basin) since im bumming floor space im going with the flow. Im a upper intermediate/advanced skiier that can do mostly everything around the mid-a and looking for something different out west so i figure dragging my skinny carvers out west isnt worth it. Was looking to see what some of you all have done before or if any one knows any good advice/rental places/brew pubs around where im headed......happy friday. Cheers.

JohnL
February 13, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

How skinny are your carvers? There are plently of days out west that 80 mm underfoot is ideal. You may want to bring them and rent when conditions warrant.

eggraid
February 17, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

JohnL wrote:

How skinny are your carvers? There are plently of days out west that 80 mm underfoot is ideal. You may want to bring them and rent when conditions warrant.

I'm headed out to Snowmass in the beginning of March, and this is exactly my plan. Bring the east coast carving skis I'm comfortable with, and then step up to some fatties if I'm lucky and they get a big dump :)

JohnL
February 17, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

eggraid wrote:

JohnL wrote:

I'm headed out to Snowmass in the beginning of March, and this is exactly my plan. Bring the east coast carving skis I'm comfortable with, and then step up to some fatties if I'm lucky and they get a big dump :)

Out of curiosity, what are your east coast carving skis and how wide are they? Rockered at all?

I think the recent trend towards wider skis has been a bad one, in general. I've changed my mind on this in the past year. My daily drivers are now 80mm, instead of 90mm, and I'm skiing better and having more fun. I was skiing boot top to knee deep powder this past weekend on 80mm and had a blast.

eggraid
February 18, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I have Dynastar Contact Limiteds. They aren't rockered, I think they may be 72 mm underfoot, but I will double check. They are at least 5 years old now, but I still enjoy them. 

sailandski22
February 18, 2015
Member since 02/13/2014 🔗
24 posts

Eggraid, im in the same boat, 72 underfoot my elans do have a bit of rocker in the tip. Let me know how snowmass is skiing when you return, I head out the 3rd week of march. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.