20 posts
6 users
3k+ views
jimw
February 4, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Hello,

Love the webiste and the info on the lost ski areas.  I would love to hike some of the areas in WV.  I have snowshoes and backcountry expeerience.  

I live in NC.  I own a condo and a house at Snowshoe.  We're heading up there the end of this month.  Hoping for lots of snow.!

Can you offer lodging on this website?  I would like to offer last minute deals and midweek specials.  I rather rent our place for cheap than let it sit empty.

Thanks

Jim

Reisen
February 4, 2015
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

I may be looking for a Snowshoe weekend rental sometime this month or next.  How many bedrooms?  I know there are a couple of condo owners on here.  I almost posted in the fall before I booked for mid-December, but I needed something big then (4 BR).

jimw
February 4, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

3 bedroom Summit Condo

www.vrbo.com/479808

3 bedroom Log Cabin 10-15 minutes from the slopes.

www.vrbo.com/250515

Weekends rentals do have the higher rates...midweek Sunday-Wednesday have the best rates.

Please check my calendar for available dates...please send inquiry directly from my website so I can keep track of it.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Hi Jim,

I'm a fellow SS owner since 2004 @ Snowshoe Mountain Lodge.  Mid weeks are definitely tougher to fill - especially bigger places since most kids are in school during the week.

Your cabin looks really cool.  If I ever get a request for a larger group, I'll send them your way. 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimw
February 4, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Thanks for any referrals.

jimw
February 5, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

I have an opening next week for my 3 bedroom condo...sleeps up to 8.  Sunday-Wednesday. 2/8-11

3 nights. $621.60  

Snowshoe's website quoted me $1040.00

jimw
February 13, 2015 (edited February 13, 2015)
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Midweek deal 2/22-28

$145 per night plus cleaning fees/tax

www.vrbo.com/479808

Thanks

Jim

jimw
February 19, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

The last week of Feb is sitll available....let's make a deal.

+30"s in the last few days.

rbrtlav
March 4, 2015 (edited March 4, 2015)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'm looking at trying to do a short trip to snowshoe next week to pick up the season pass and board/ski for a few days. My original plan was to do a one night and 2 day trip.... but for a single person my options are quite limitied as it seems like most things are condos or townhomes with 2 night minimums unless you book last minute. So here are my options that I have looked at.

I'm planning on taking Thursday and Friday off work, but I might be able to take wedenday off too.

-Call monday and grab a single night reservation for Thursday night on the slopes; leave here at 5am and board all day Thursday and most of Friday and drive home.

- Do Wed/Thursday night or Thurs/Fri night at the inn at snowshoe and maybe grab a few extra hours on the slopes saturday AM before driving home, but not have the convieince of being slopeside.

-Any other affordable ideas....

I'm trying to keep the cost of lodging low... and as it is just me I don't care so much about luxury, but really dont see any benifit on being further from the slopes than a few miles.

I know conditions next week might start turning spring like.... but I've never been to snowshoe and looking forward to some new terrain for me.

jimw
March 5, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

The Inn at the bottom of the mountain will be your best bet.  They usually are booked up on the weekends but have available dates during the week.

rbrtlav
March 8, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

So how bad is the rain going to mess up snowshoe....I was going to book tomorrow, my full day would be Thursday which is the only day they aren't calling for rain. Not so worried on coverage yet, but how bad is the snow gonna be or will the groomers work magic and make Thursday a fair day?

jimw
March 9, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

They have good base so you will be fine especailly if they can groom Wed evening.

Mongo
March 9, 2015
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

I notice they are talking about "light rain" and mid-40s on the weekend. How un-fun is it going to be to ski while that is happening, I wonder...

neverdnf
March 9, 2015
Member since 03/8/2015 🔗
5 posts

Why are the units at Summit so cheap to purchase at the moment?

jimw
March 9, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

IMO, Summit is the best deal on the mountain.  Supply and demand is the reason.  I know last winter 10+ units were for sale.

rbrtlav
March 10, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'm gonna go...with the pass and midweek rates worst case it's a cheap vacation. I'll probably try and do a few runs on silver creek tomorrow night and be out most of Thursday and if things go well do a few runs before heading home Friday. I'll let you all know how things hold up with the rain...they are reporting a great base, so I'm guessing mashed potatoes and loose granular.

March 10, 2015
1,580 posts

I hope it works out for you.  Just looking at the cams, there appears to be plenty of snow.  I think SC closes this Sunday.

I'm slated to go on Friday  ....... weather permitting.

March 12, 2015
1,580 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

I'm gonna go...with the pass and midweek rates worst case it's a cheap vacation. I'll probably try and do a few runs on silver creek tomorrow night and be out most of Thursday and if things go well do a few runs before heading home Friday. I'll let you all know how things hold up with the rain...they are reporting a great base, so I'm guessing mashed potatoes and loose granular.

If the webcams are not lying - you picked a hellava day (Thu).  I cancelled for this weekend.

rbrtlav
March 13, 2015 (edited March 13, 2015)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

If the webcams are not lying - you picked a hellava day (Thu).  I cancelled for this weekend.

I ended up staying at the basin and western territory from rope drop to close (ski patrol blocking the top) both Thursday (boarding) and Friday(skiing). Things were a bit soft in the afternoons, but in general things held up great. I think if I count my Silver Creek runs wed night (and my tracking app is accurate) I got 100 runs in 2.5 days.... can't complain. This afternoon I ended up lapping Soaring Eagle, seems to have a bit less vertical than ballhooter but those runs were fun with the condtions getting soft. 

As far as the remainder of the season it appears that the trails ballhootoer and soaring eagle serve have a decent snowpack for the most part (except the skiers right of widowmaker). Shays and parts of Cupp appear to have some thin spots, but can probably go at least another 10 days with grooming magic, and I cant really speak for the green trails.

Its a beautiful mountain and I look forward to returning next season 

jimw
March 14, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Thanks for the update.  We're going up next weekend...hoping for some spring snow showers!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.