Blackwater Falls adds snowmaking, lights, magic carpet!
10 posts
7 users
3k+ views
chaga
January 14, 2015
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Doesn't seem to be too much press about this very huge upgrade to the park, but Blackwater Falls state park just added snowmaking, lights and the longest magic carpet in the east to their "sled run" hill. This is a big plus for anyone coming in the winter and staying up in town by the park, or at the park lodge, etc.  Here is a blurb from their site, but am surprised such a substantial upgrade that was in the works for years hasn't had much press at all!!!  They also snowmobile groom park trails and the road out to lindy point and you can ski, snowshoe or even go 'fat biking' on them. 

"The Blackwater Falls Sled Run was opened in 1960, with a truck driven rope tow.  SunKid Wonder Carpet conveyor was installed in 2013. The conveyor is 1400 feet in length and is believed to be the longest in North America. Snowmaking and lighting expands the outdoor experience in 2014/15 at the Sled Run.  There is a warming hut where toboggans are rented, cross country skis and snowshoes are also available with lessons. The Warming Hut offers a full menu of hot drinks, homemade soups and hearty stews."

eggraid
January 14, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Wow, that is really impressive, and what a beautiful place. 

I wonder if they gave any consideration to a zipline? It's never too late! The Canaan valley needs more ziplines!

teleman
January 14, 2015
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

eggraid wrote:

I wonder if they gave any consideration to a zipline? It's never too late! The Canaan valley needs more ziplines!

Play nice!  No negative comments about that resort in Tucker Co. with a zipline.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

eggraid wrote:

Wow, that is really impressive, and what a beautiful place. 

+1

Glad to see tax dollars put to use in recreational areas.  Perhaps Gov Tom Wolf of PA could get things moving on a certain ski area in the Laurel Highlands.

Antoine
January 14, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Huuummmm, Laurel highlands what could that be... Could he good for nutting because he might steal business from BK.

camp
January 15, 2015
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Chaga,

Is Blackwater enough hill to teach some beginner xc/tele kids on?  Kinda like the bottom of White Grass with a carpet back up? Or would skiing conflict with sledding?

chaga
January 15, 2015 (edited January 15, 2015)
646 posts

camp wrote:

Chaga,

Is Blackwater enough hill to teach some beginner xc/tele kids on?  Kinda like the bottom of White Grass with a carpet back up? Or would skiing conflict with sledding?

think it would be enough pitch...and about a 1/4 mile long.  I don't know what would conflict with what though.... maybe a picture is worth a thousand words... and maybe wear a helmet :)

Antoine
January 15, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

If you look hard enought there is a bend, makes me wonder what happens to the sledders...

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2015 (edited January 16, 2015)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Chaga,

I looked at this area last March (snowmaking was under construction).  Hill has existed for some time for tobogganing, sledding, xc skiing with a T-bar.  Should work fine for beginner skiers, both alpine and Nordic.

The Colonel

chaga
January 23, 2015
646 posts

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.