Whitetail Friday January 9 - some problems
8 posts
4 users
3k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2015
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Glad to have had several good snowmaking days and nights this past week.  I skied Whitetail on Friday January 9.  They had all but one run (Limelight) and the halfpipe open.  Snow Dancer was great!  Friday was my first time skiing that run this season.

I was surprised to run into stretches of ice cubes on Fanciful (which had opened more than a week earlier) and elsewhere.  The worst was at the bottom of Exhibition, but at least there the ice-cube stretch was well marked by orange poles with plastic discs (thanks).

What happened at Whitetail?  Their mountain ops crew has generally been spot-on great, but ice-cube stretches on runs open for several days after such good snowmaking weather don't come up to WT's usual high standard.  Could it be problems with too much water at once?  Or perhaps grooming out newly-made snow w/o letting the moisture drain first?  

Just wondering.  I hope they correct the problem(s).

wojo
January 13, 2015
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

Glad to have had several good snowmaking days and nights this past week.  I skied Whitetail on Friday January 9.  They had all but one run (Limelight) and the halfpipe open.  Snow Dancer was great!  Friday was my first time skiing that run this season.

I was surprised to run into stretches of ice cubes on Fanciful (which had opened more than a week earlier) and elsewhere.  The worst was at the bottom of Exhibition, but at least there the ice-cube stretch was well marked by orange poles with plastic discs (thanks).

What happened at Whitetail?  Their mountain ops crew has generally been spot-on great, but ice-cube stretches on runs open for several days after such good snowmaking weather don't come up to WT's usual high standard.  Could it be problems with too much water at once?  Or perhaps grooming out newly-made snow w/o letting the moisture drain first?  

Just wondering.  I hope they correct the problem(s).

I only hit one icey spot on the black mogul run on Saturday, no ice on the blues and I left at 1pm.  Sunday conditions reported by a buddy as pretty good, but no new snow.   I did talk to some people on Saturday who reported the same problem you did on Friday, and they said it was fixed.

Antoine
January 13, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Its " snow" or rather water that gets on the top of the guns. They have to get them off of the gun. Somehow it gets on the trail. Those thing are heavy but c'mon snowmakers gotta get'ee of the trail. Oh and jeez last yeah WT had real bad problems with that. On faniciful its really bad sometimes. WT biggest problem thought is the amount of rocks they have on the trails. I understand they keep it so it does not erode the land but come on plant some grass for god sake

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 17, 2015 (edited January 17, 2015)
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Just got home from a morning of skiing at the beginning of MLK weekend, Saturday January 17.  Great snow, 100% open.  No problems with icy patches or stretches of the runs I skied: Fanciful, Snow Dancer, Limelight, Angel Drop, Drop In, Far Side, Bold Decision and Home Run.

Good job, Whitetail!

Woody

Bumps
January 17, 2015
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

I was there on Thursday, 15th?. Wasn't bad. Got there at noon and was a little crunch, but soften nicely in afternoon sun. Started to get cruchy against around 4pm or so though. Spent most my time on expedition and far side. No crowd, just up and down until my legs fell off :)

Antoine
January 17, 2015
275 posts

Crowds where brutal today. Aswell as patchy ice. Still pretty good only made two runs cuz skiis needed a tune real bad!

Bumps
January 17, 2015 (edited January 17, 2015)
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

A few shots from thursday

I

Antoine
January 17, 2015
275 posts

Looks good! I went  exploring some mountains a litle north today but skied today. Snow was good. Those ice boulders where there though, look at the blue guns from the high speed lots of ice on them!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.