Liberty 9 Jan 2015, Outstanding
4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 9, 2015 (edited January 9, 2015)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

I had an outstanding day today at Liberty.  It started with $2.08 gas at Hillwood Mart in Falls Church:-)  This was my first day of the season.  I've been busy retiring.  It was actually pretty stressful as I wrapped up a lot of loose ends and another job possibility grabbed a lot of my attention, still looking into that.  It took me one week to get to the slopes since my last day of work. 

I got to Liberty about 1pm and conditions were great.  Tons of high quality manmade snow.  All runs open except White Lightning and Lower Strata.  The three black diamond runs on the backside, Ultra, Eastwind and Strata were skiing really well.  Same for everything else.  

Crowds were really low until about 4pm, then the buses started showing up.  Even still, lines moved quickly everywhere on the mtn.  Tomorrow could be busy, maybe Sunday too since temps to rise to moderate levels Sunday.  I'll be skiing again tomorrow until about 2pm.  Look for old geezer in green jacket and blue pants, grey helmet.

I started on my new Nordica Vagabonds, 107mm underfoot.  They were great and pretty darn turny for a big ski.  Then I switched to my Nordica Burners, 84mm.  They are my cheater skis for bumps, which the upper blacks on backside had in pretty high definition.

I'm using Vince's laptop in Days Inn of Gettysburg ($36 priceline) and will try to post a few pics if I can figure it out.  He's still on the slopes instructing.  I got some video of him too.  Maybe we'll post some of that later too, if time.

Season's On!!!

A few pics here:  http://www.epicski.com/t/131531/liberty-mtn-resort-pa-1-9-15

rbrtlav
January 9, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I was there (Liberty) Wednesday and it was beautiful as well (albeit very cold). Did Whitetail tonight and looks like short of the half pipe they are planning on being fully open tomorrow. The difference in both Liberty and Whitetail in the last week has been amazing. 

Antoine
January 10, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Well I'll be darned  woke up to go skiing found out I got a cold. Still gonna try to take it easy and go

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 11, 2015
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Here's a video from Liberty on evening of Jan 9, 2015.  Great man-made snow conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ITbebQUbA&feature=youtu.be

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?