Telemark Clinic
23 posts
10 users
2k+ views
TomH
December 15, 2014 (edited December 15, 2014)
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Saturday December 20th will be the first in the series of Telemark Clinics at Timberline.  This is a great program that I've personally participated in many times.  Good for all level of skier.  Really high ratio of instructor to student and the instructors are excellent.  I like to do the clinics early in the season as it gives you the rest of the season (or better yet, until the next clinic) to work on what you learned.  Hope to see you out there.

More details: https://www.facebook.com/events/1594612197424223/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

skicat
December 15, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Good to know! I am heading to TL during Xmas holidays. Any estimate on how many top tyo bottom runs will be open by then? I heard only white lightning was open last weekend.

kwillg6
December 15, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Depends on how much cold they get between now and then.   They have mad snow on salamander, dew drop, drop, and don't know what else.  If it gets cold, they are in a position to get those runs and a few others open in a week to 10 days or sooner.  If it were a solid snowmaking window, it would be sooner than later.   

skicat
December 15, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Awesome! TL has the best blue square runs. So as long as they can have at least one open I am happy. Dew Drop sounds great:)

kwillg6 wrote:

Depends on how much cold they get between now and then.   They have mad snow on salamander, dew drop, drop, and don't know what else.  If it gets cold, they are in a position to get those runs and a few others open in a week to 10 days or sooner.  If it were a solid snowmaking window, it would be sooner than later.   

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
TomH
December 15, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Yes last weekend only White Lightening was open top to bottom.  But it was really good on Saturday.  Lots of really interesting contours and great snow.  I'm not sure if anything else will be open from the top next weekend - maybe.  My guess is they are hoping to get those runs open by X-Mas.  My guess is they are stock piling snow in big piles on Sallie and Dew and will groom it out once the weather breaks and not before so they don't lose all that snow.

crgildart
December 15, 2014
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Tom, I had no idea you played with hippie heels.  I tried it many MANY years ago for about half a day.  Definitely something I'd play around with again if I was racking up a lot of days and regular skiing was getting a little bland.

TomH
December 15, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Pretty much 95% of my time is on free heel.  Spices up mid atlantic skiing.  On Saturday it seemed like half the skiers at T-Line were on telemark.  Great group of tele folks there.  As well as boarders and alpine skiers (not to mention mono boarders).

crgildart
December 15, 2014 (edited December 15, 2014)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

TomH wrote:

Pretty much 95% of my time is on free heel.  Spices up mid atlantic skiing.  On Saturday it seemed like half the skiers at T-Line were on telemark.  Great group of tele folks there.  As well as boarders and alpine skiers (not to mention mono boarders).

Got it.  I had assumed you were another Tom H....... I know a little better.  Nothing wrong with you being you and him being him of course but I will make a mental note that you aren't that other Tom H hahahaha.  

TomH
December 15, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

I'm so confused. :)  Maybe I am the other Tom H.  Half the time I'm not sure. 

David
December 16, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

skicat wrote:

Good to know! I am heading to TL during Xmas holidays. Any estimate on how many top tyo bottom runs will be open by then? I heard only white lightning was open last weekend.

Timberline's Facebook page is saying that Salamander will be open this weekend. 

TomH
December 16, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Thanks David.  Good info.  Salamander is great for practicing so it will be good for clinic participants.

teleman
December 16, 2014
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

David wrote:

skicat wrote:

Good to hear; assuming that post is from this season.

AndyGene
December 17, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

David wrote:

skicat wrote:

Timberline must have hired someone to run their social media this year.  All facebook messages seem to be well thought out, and not full of garbled message that need decyphering and blatant lies.  It is kind of nice, and kind of sad all at the same time.  I enjoyed trolling them :(

jimmy
December 22, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Wonder when Lower Thunderstruck will open?

David
December 22, 2014 (edited December 22, 2014)
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

jimmy wrote:

I'm guessing they'll be starting to blow snow any day now. Gotta get that race course open for the kiddos. 

JohnL
December 22, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

jimmy wrote:

I've heard they have new and improved snowmaking on Lower Thunderstruck. It's next to the new Cherry Bowl glades, correct? I think I should be able to find it.

What's teh price for a zipline ride going for this season?

JohnL
December 22, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

TomH wrote:

Thanks David.  Good info.  Salamander is great for practicing so it will be good for clinic participants.

Good to see you this weekend Tom. Sally is also great for carving drills at 2mph which are some of the hardest things I've eva done in my life.

JohnL
December 22, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

David wrote:

jimmy wrote:

I'm guessing they'll be starting to blow snow any day now. Gotta get that race course open for the kiddos. 

In a rare bit of seriousness for me, the race coaches/program is pretty effin amazing. I need to shadow them one day to see all the tips JA (and JR?) are giving out. Maybe some sort of adult program would be in order? Once a month basis like the tele clinic?

jimmy
December 23, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Heh, problem with that is the teacher to student ratio for the Tele Clinics is like 7 to 1; no way you'd find enough race coaches to do that.......

TomH
December 24, 2014 (edited December 24, 2014)
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Unless you are a racer, who cares about lower Thunderstruck.  On a positive note there is another Tele Clinic a week from  Saturday on January 3rd.  Good for all levels by the way.  I'm a fair tele skier and I picked up a fantastic tip last clinic that I've been using all week and it has made a huge difference.  Drop on by for that great teacher to student ratio this saturday.

fishnski
December 24, 2014
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Im confused..I thought they didnt allow telemarking anymore??...(totally blonde funny face)

jimmy
December 24, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

You have to put yerself on the do not call list.............

I’m a fair tele skier........................

Humble too 

TomH
December 24, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Fish - telemarkers are persistent buggers.  They bother you even if you put yourself on the do not call list.  Snow conditions were a little bumpy at TL today as the groomers couldn't do there business last night.  Dew skied the best. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?