Early and Mid-December Weather
9 posts
8 users
1k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2014
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

After a nice run of snowmaking weather that allowed most resorts to open for Thanksgiving weekend (and a few before that), the prospects for early to mid-December don't look too promising.  

Any hope for snow and cold weather on the Mid-Atlantic horizon before December 20?

Woody

crgildart
December 2, 2014 (edited December 2, 2014)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

As much hope as there's ever been Thanksgiving Weekend.  Guns were full blaze mode Friday when we were up there.  However, it wouldn't be the first season where a strong start was destroyed by three weeks of solid 50+ degree weather making Christmas Day unskiable most places around here.  It would, however be only the second in my 15 years in this part of the country. I'll be shocked if we aren't at least 50% open at the NC resorts and Wintergreen VA Christmas week.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
December 2, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Canaan Valley FB Post

EFFECTIVE 12/3/2014

Due to the warming trend forecasted over the next 10 days, Canaan Valley Resort will suspend on-slope operations in order to preserve the current snowpack.

TENTATIVE RE-OPENING DATE is Saturday, December 13, 2014!

fishnski
December 2, 2014 (edited December 2, 2014)
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
There looks to be a little cold n snow shot for the 9th into the 10th..that far out its not clear if the cold n snow is anything more than a quick hitter...there was talk of a Typhoon like the one that Triggered the last cold snap coming in for part 2.around mid Dec..dont see it on the extended models yet...might come down to the wire for XMas but still think Winter will come on strong...wax em up!
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 2, 2014
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

fishnski wrote:

There looks to be a little cold n snow shot for the 9th into the 10th..that far out its not clear if the cold n snow is anything more than a quick hitter...there was talk of a Typhoon like the one that Triggered the last cold snap coming in for part 2.around mid Dec..dont see it on the extended models yet...might come down to the wire for XMas but still think Winter will come on strong...wax em up!

Waxed and ready, Fish!  Thanks for your thoughts on what's coming up.

Woody

AndyGene
December 3, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

The snow guns are on at Snowshoe right now!  Hopefully most of the other areas are also.  But it didn't look like it on the canaan/timberline cam.

rbrtlav
December 3, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I'm hoping to get out somwhere this weekend. Hidden valley has lights on and 7 springs claims on social media they are planning on blowing tonight. Both of them are scheduled to open Sat-Sun. Snowtime resorts haven't made a choice yet, but unless the air dries up enought to allow them to blow tonight I see them having a hard time opening this weekend.

I'm thinking of giving hidden valley a shot this weekend if they blow enough snow to make at least the webcams look good. They seem to have some specials that I'm willing to give up the detachable lifts at 7Springs for the price difference. (considering there is no chance of the north face of 7S having substancial terrain open

chaga
December 4, 2014
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Sorry y'all! Hope you got your fix in last week when it was powder paradise

"---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM
Subject: Update on Unusually Persistent Snow-less Pattern to Continue
To: Robert Leffler

I continue to see NO BREAK in sight through mid-December now for this unusually consistent, snow-less weather pattern for the Canaan and surrounding WV high country.  I see the National Weather Service has finally dropped the mention of snow Thursday night into Saturday, in-line with my previous two forecasts from several days ago.

I continue to see little other than rain or brief periods of freezing rain, and/or sleet out another 10 days or so.  The flow aloft at cloud height (5,000 feet and above) continues to be persistently strong out of the mild southwest.  While morning temperatures may occasionally be below freezing with shallow air near ground, the overall pattern aloft where the precipitation is manufactured is for above freezing temperatures.  Thus little to no snow will fall during this period unless something changes.

Sometimes the numerical forecast models will pick up on a significant pattern change only a few days before the change occurs.  However, right now, sI do not see any pattern change indicated upwind.  I will issue further updates as warranted.

Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman"

TomH
December 4, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Thanks Chaga.  Keep those reports coming they are really helpful in making plans for those of us not in the Valley.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.