White Friday
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
David
November 28, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Was I the only one who got the memo? Today was White Friday at Whitegrass. LOTS of White Stuff, FEW people out there enjoying it. No lines at all!! $20 day use fee and $5 chili were the deals of the day!  

Seriously though, it snowed A LOT over the past few days in the Valley. All of the trails at Whitegrass had mid season coverage. The front slope was knee deep in places. I skied until my legs were about to give out. It snowed off and on pretty much all day. Was 19 degrees when I pulled in, 21 degrees when I pulled out. Not much wind, Bald Knob was quieter than I've ever heard it. Skied with some new friends and some old friends. Ran into some of DCSki's finest. One of the best days I've had on XC Skis. I smiled for 6-7 hours straight...my face hurts.

Tomorrow morning is going to be SWEET at Canaan Valley. I wish I was going to be there to poach it all. 

Here's a few from today. 

More fun than one person should have in a day

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2014
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Yum, I guest I'm the turkey for missing it all. Way to get after it.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2014
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Yum, I guest I'm the turkey for missing it all. Way to get after it.

chaga
November 29, 2014 (edited November 29, 2014)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Awesome Dave!!!!   good to see so many people out enjoying the powder paradise without waiting on the lifts to run. We always joke about how the downhill only skiers are just staring at the snow when it dumps before the lifts run. :)  but I digress... the powder skiing in the 'buffed' glades was even dreamy!!!  (too early for the glades with big rocks with lack of base but everything else seemed good to go!)  

fishnski
November 29, 2014
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I dont know anything about XC and rented a few times last year but got a flake up my butt and spent a couple of hours online and went for this pkg with the rossi bx2 boots .nice bindings and Alpina poles..skiis were in the 189 length..(6' 215lbs)..I hope it was money well spent...they seem a lot easier to clamp on and surer footed than the rentals..I feel more stable on them...on the carpet though..lol.. The all-terrain, waxless Fischer Outback 68 Skis allow you the freedom to choose your own path without any restricted borders. Full length, steel edge stability to handle whatever lies ahead. These light-duty, back country exploring skis are nimble enough to cover some serious ground, but wide enough to bust through the crud and mank. The 68-59-64mm sidecut dimensions (width of ski at tip, center and tail) are tailored to an easy-turning and efficient out-of-track experience. If you're looking to ski twisty trails -- but not groomed tracks -- the Outback 68 is the fastest, lightest, most maneuverable ski you're going to find in the very popular offtrack cruising ski category. From doorstep, you'll waste no time heading off on the 'out-the-door' Fischer Outback 68 nordic skis to explore and discover new, untracked snowcovered territory. Highlighted features include Offtrack Crown kick zone, ensuring reliable grip on the uphills and smooth kick stride glideing on the flats and rolling country; Unique Fischer Skis Nordic Rocker profile that keeps the tips aloft for optimal control and turning in soft, deep powder, as well as other snow depths and conditions. Also noticeably improves kick and glide cruising with enhanced efficiency and less effort; Snappy, responsive camber and Sintec fast, high-end, stone-ground ski base material in the front and rear glide zones make for a ski that carries great speed. Even absorbs hot glide wax
Bumps
November 29, 2014
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

Nice pics! Thanks!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.