Webcam List / Directory
18 posts
10 users
4k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

My son and I spent some time combing over just about every ski resort's website in the Eastern US.  We set up a directory by state and added an alphabetical list of each resort and a link to their webcam page.

I'm not sure if we'll take this to a "formal" website and give it an actual name and url.  It was cool to see the different resorts webpages and webcams during the process.

For now, we'll call it 'Snow Cams East". Here's a link to the site Snow Cams East 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Oh dear, don't know if knowing about such a website is a good idea or not.  Could end up spending too much time looking at webcams all over the country because it's sooo easy!  :0)

Since I had to look at NC, noticed a typo for Wolf (no "e").

You might find a few more NY webcams here.  Scroll down and look for "NY webcams" on the right hand column.

http://nyskiblog.com/weather/

November 23, 2014
1,580 posts

Thx Marz - I fixed the Wolf.  I'll that site you noted

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2014
3,246 posts

Since I'm going to Sunday River in early Dec, I was surprised there wasn't a webcam.  They do have a static pic that's updated every 10 min on the mountain report webpage.

http://www.sundayriver.com/winter/mountain-report

Found a collection of webcams for Maine but they are mostly for summer travel.  Convenient place to find all the traffic cams for the Interstate highways.  Supposedly there's a live webcam for Sunday River, but nothing to see.

http://maine-webcams.com/sunday-river-webcam/

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
November 23, 2014
1,580 posts

marzNC wrote:

http://www.sundayriver.com/winter/mountain-report

I added that one.  I wonder why some resorts do not flaunt their cams.  They are not that expensive and people seem to utilize them.  But then again, looking at fog in Snowshoe is not that appealing.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2014
3,246 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I added that one.  I wonder why some resorts do not flaunt their cams.  They are not that expensive and people seem to utilize them.  But then again, looking at fog in Snowshoe is not that appealing.

I gather that the thinking by skiers is that some GMs don't want people to be able to see if it's raining.  Also, there is a tendency to place webcams that only show slopes and avoid liftlines.  Obviously those who actually ski somewhere know how crowded a place can get.  But someone who has never been . . . 

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2014
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

My son and I spent some time combing over just about every ski resort's website in the Eastern US.  We set up a directory by state and added an alphabetical list of each resort and a link to their webcam page.

I'm not sure if we'll take this to a "formal" website and give it an actual name and url.  It was cool to see the different resorts webpages and webcams during the process.

For now, we'll call it 'Snow Cams East". Here's a link to the site Snow Cams East 

Blue Don 1982 and BD82 Junior,

You two have done us all a great service.  Snow Cams East is now on my Bookmark Favorites Bar.  Many thanks for all the procrastinating I'll get to do!

Woody

November 25, 2014
1,580 posts

Thx Woody - I, too, will be wasting lots of time at work and over Thanksgiving watching it snow at the various resorts.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 25, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Bravo Blue Don and Blue Don Jr!

jimmy
December 9, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

bump

December 9, 2014
1,580 posts

jimmy wrote:

bump

I took it live with a facebook and twitter page  -->    http://snowcamseast.com

Antoine
December 10, 2014
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Blue knob got a webcam

December 10, 2014 (edited December 10, 2014)
1,580 posts

Antoine wrote:

Blue knob got a webcam

Not one ..... but two.

I stumbled on it yesterday while planning a trip  to BK with my nephews in Jan.  I about fell out of my chair.  I linked it on the PA page on the webcam site.   http://snowcamseast.com

PS - looks like all the WV resorts are getting some nice snow this AM. 

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2014 (edited December 10, 2014)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Whitegrass' webcam that looks up the open slope is particularly useful whether or not you earn turns.  It tells how much natural snow is on the ground and the flags tell which way the wind is blowing.  When the flags stand out stiffly to the left the wind is coming strongly from the west.  This typically happens in the latter half of a storm and you can expect wrap around upslope snow and/or lake effect.  

Ski areas can and often do place their webcams so as to deceive, although they are a lot closer to ground truth than their written snow reports.

camp
December 13, 2014
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Denis wrote:

.Ski areas can and often do place their webcams so as to deceive, although they are a lot closer to ground truth than their written snow reports.

Gotta love the way Whitetail has their Expert chair cam carefully aiming at the top of the lift structure so you can't see how large the liftlines are.

chaga
December 14, 2014 (edited December 14, 2014)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Denis wrote:

Whitegrass' webcam that looks up the open slope is particularly useful whether or not you earn turns.  It tells how much natural snow is on the ground and the flags tell which way the wind is blowing.  When the flags stand out stiffly to the left the wind is coming strongly from the west.  This typically happens in the latter half of a storm and you can expect wrap around upslope snow and/or lake effect.  

Ski areas can and often do place their webcams so as to deceive, although they are a lot closer to ground truth than their written snow reports.

Yeah Denis! However.... the lower slope is often windblown and bare ... even after a big dumping because of the wind, so it can be decieveing what is on the trails and the non open windy areas. The snowfence is in strategic places for that reason to always provide a nice groomed path down the bottom half of the lower slope. And even with 4" of snow like we had midweek, when the wind blows......those wg fences can collect feet upon feet of snow. Ingenious low carbon footprint skiing provided by snowfarming!

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
December 9, 2016
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Did you guys give up on www.snowcamseast.com?

December 9, 2016
1,580 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

Did you guys give up on www.snowcamseast.com?

Yes - too much work for the small amount of traffic

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.