10 posts
7 users
2k+ views
AndyGene
October 29, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Hola DC skiers,

I've never been skiing in Utah, but may be looking to do a trip out there this winter.  I'm trying to do this on the cheap, I have enough hotel points and southwest points to get me to SLC and have a place to stay for the week.  However, those hotel points will only get me a room in a downtown hotel which leads me to my question-

How feasible is it to take the UTA bus to the ski resorts every day?  I can see it is $4.50 one way, so I'm not really concerned about the cost.  I am very concerned about how long it takes to get from downtown to the ski resorts and the reliability of the busses.  Basically I don't want half of my trip to be spent in a bus.

Would I be better off ponying up and getting lodging at one of the ski resorts, or possibly renting a car?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 29, 2014 (edited October 29, 2014)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I've never taken the buses from downtown.  It's probably slow with many stops.  I stayed in the Intown Suites on 7200 south, which has several great advantages.  It's a 100 yard walk from the first stop on the bus line, at the Trax light rail station, on the far side of the huge Bass Proshops outlet.  The first stop is best, you get a seat.   On powder days the bus is often full by the third stop and in fact won't even stop.  Buses from there go up both Cottonwood canyons.  You can get a week for $30/night with full kitchen and frig.  You pay in advance for the full week, check out early and you lose some money.  The room are clean and functional.  For a couple one room would be fine.  For a family of 4, 2 rooms would do.  You could get away with no car, just take the shuttle from the airport and light rail if you want to go downtown.  There are a couple of decent, not great, restaurants in walking distance.  If there is a big dump with road closure for avi control you want to be on the first bus when the road opens, it gets to go to the front of the line of cars.  Later buses must wait their turn in line and it can be a miles long line.  Obviously there are some compromises here but it's worth considering.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 29, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Denis wrote:

I've never taken the buses from downtown.  It's probably slow with many stops.  I stayed in the Intown Suites on 7200 south, which has several great advantages.  It's a 100 yard walk from the first stop on the bus line, at the Trax light rail station, on the far side of the hug Bass Proshops outlet.  The first stop is best, you get a seat.   On powder days the bus is often full by the third stop and in fact won't even stop.  Buses from there go up both Cottonwood canyons.  You can get a week for $30/night with full kitchen and frig.  You pay in advance for the full week, check out early and you lose some money.  The room are clean and functional.  For a couple one room would be fine.  For a family of 4, 2 rooms would do.  You could get away with no car, just take the light rail if you want to go downtown.  There are a couple of decent, not great restaurants in walking distance.  If there is a big dump with road closure for avi control you want to be on the first bus when the road opens, it gets to go to the front of the line of cars.  Later buses must wait their turn in line and it can be a miles long line.  Obviously there are some compromises here but it's worth considering.

Good info from Denis.  Counterpoint:

I use mass transit every day in DC and it generally works fine, so the idea of using it in SLC for skiing appeals to me.  Nonetheless, I'd consider renting a cheap car for probably less than $100 a week.  Avoid full bus situation or lengthy commut including transfers with heavy gear.  Powder days might present a problem driving around with a little rental car too, but at least you'd have flexibility to go to Park City or some other direction with open roads.

BTW, if you consider busing from airport to slopeside accoms, one of the cheaper candidates is the Brighton Lodge.  See there website for 4 or 5 day packages.  Brighton gets great snow and is popular with and set up well for snowboarders.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
October 29, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Andy,

This was just posted on another forum I belong to:

Distance from SLC Airport

Deer Valley 37.4 mi
PCMR 35.7 mi
Canyons 32.5 mi
Snowbird 30.9 mi
Alta 32.6 mi
Solitude 30.9 mi
Brighton 31.2 mi

We stayed in a condo in Park City last year a few blocks from the town lift.  We used the local free bus service to take us to and from DV and Canyons.  We walked to PCMR.

Assuming the distances above are accurate and factoring in stops, I'd have to guess at least an hour each way on a bus to the ski resorts.

I look at it this way, I "commute" to work each day.  I'm not interested in "commuting" on vacation.  Just my 2 cents.  I realize we all have budgets.  I'm HUGE fan of free stuff - but if it requires too much work on my part - it ain't free. 

wojo
October 29, 2014
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

I stayed in Sandy with two grade school kids, walked to the bus stop and did not rent a car, might have been 35 minutes on the bus to Big and Little Cottonwoods.   Things I would look for in a hotel:  Bus to/from airport, shuttle to restaurants, hearty breakfast.  Busses have chains and are better off than most cars.  Never had a problem getting a bus in 5 days.  This approach "limits" you from exploring the other 10+ resorts, but the four in the canyons have plenty of options.  Have fun.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 30, 2014 (edited October 30, 2014)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Oh yeah, the area I posted about is called Midvale, but I believe it is an unincorporated area within SLC.  Don't know how this might affect google searches.  

Another point to consider, the buses are not stopped by 4WD and chain restrictions.  When these are in effect the police sit at the canyon entrance and pull over anyone who doesn't meet the restrictions, no arguing.  This greatly slows traffic, you may arrive at 11 on a powder day, and locals hate when doofus tourists do that.  If you're unwilling to rent 4WD I'd recommend staying up in the canyon.

also, after a big powder dump you have a much better chance for a fast and easy trip up Big Cottonwood canyon to Solitude (my choice) or Brighton.  I'm surprised that John L hasn't mentioned this already.

trackbiker
October 30, 2014
Member since 11/26/2010 🔗
5 posts

I've stayed here several times and highly recommend this small-chain hotel. Hot breakfast buffet and a light dinner is included in the room rate.

http://www.crystalinnmidvalley.com/

I had a car but many guests use their shuttle which takes you to the closest bus stop. They sell discount tickets which I believe include the bus. The hotel shuttle will also take you to local restaraunts. Call them for more info and for ski packages.

Like someone else mentioned; If you have a two wheel drive rental car and it snows they will not let you up the Little and Big Cottonwood Canyon roads without chains.

wojo
October 30, 2014
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

This is actually where I stayed and I second all the comments.  Staff was great, but it was a while ago.

AndyGene
October 31, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Thanks for the info guys.I'm going to take your advice and pay for a place in park city.  I see several places that are around $100.  So that works.  I was worried I would end up paying $200+ for a night in  a shitty roadside motel.  But then I remember in the end that not every ski area has ridiculous lodging rates like Aspen and Steamboat.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 6, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

From Park City, it's possible to do a day trip by bus to Alta/Snowbird.  If you have more than 3 ski days, probably worth it for a first trip.  Just pick one.  No point to pay for a combo lift ticket.  You would only have time to scratch the surface in one day in any case.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?