4k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 29, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

I heard about this on Snowjournal.com

Too bad.  Quote from Ski Denton website:

"Posted by steve - October 28, 2014 - Uncategorized

On the heels of the worst two winters that the ski industry has ever seen, an last season’s extreme cold weather which resulted in double the utility costs, Ski Denton is not able, financially, to open Denton Hill State Park for the 2014-2015 ski season.  Laura and I put forth a tremendous effort and wish to thank all of our current supports and past patrons.

Thank you"

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 30, 2014
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

That is too bad. It is a challenging small hill that I skied a few times about 35 years ago. I've been meaning to get back since but it is a longer drive for me than T-line by an easy hour. I always thought they were a little too far east to get good lake effect.

FreshPow
October 31, 2014
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

That's unfortunate. May they not wind up on another part of this website. I've checked it out several times online and have always been eager for a travel schedule which permitted a drop by. But it's remote - and that never happened.

Their website comments that Swain in Western NY (along with Sawmill in PA) are offering deals to any disaffected season pass holders. As a kid growing up in upstate NY and a jr racer, Swain was a common destination - and home hill of then future-Olympic/World Cup downhiller A.J. Kitt. ..but Swain too has weathered some rough years and closed for one or two of them in recent times. Also a bit off the beaten path vs. other hills closer to people.

If they reopen in future years, I hope to modify a travel schedule and make it happen.

jimmy
October 31, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Nice post Tucker.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 31, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

jimmy wrote:

Nice post Tucker.

You mean the vanishing parable of The Good Employer:-) 

MicroBrew 22
November 11, 2014
Member since 11/11/2014 🔗
1 posts

Hi Fresh Pow,

Just to correct you, Swain Resort has never, ever closed or skipped a season.  67 years and counting!

FreshPow
November 12, 2014
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

MicroBrew 22 wrote:

Hi Fresh Pow,

Just to correct you, Swain Resort has never, ever closed or skipped a season.  67 years and counting!

Noted! Happy to be corrected on that fact. ..it seems a possible closure in recent years was averted. Thanks.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.