Don't follow someone else's tracks
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
AndyGene
April 1, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

This video scared the poo out of me.  It is what I assume is a prime example of why you don't follow someone elses tracks.  Never having done any true back country skiing, I have no idea.  Does anyone have any details on it?  Is it real, etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LILXfwhdk

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 1, 2014
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I have followed others tracks, and gone where there are no tracks for 30+ years.  But it has to be done with wisdom and restraint.  You must shed the safe controlled amusement park mentality of (most) ski areas.  If you don't, you can get into BIG trouble very quickly.

i don't do it at the hardcore places if I've never been in the near neighborhood before.  At places like snowbird, squaw, Jackson, Stowe, those tracks were probably made by a local half my age with far better skills.  Don't even think about it.

Be ready to stop on a dime, especially on your first foray in that area.

Never cruise into something where you don't have a view of what is immediately ahead.  That guy in the video did so and at speed, a very bad idea.

have a good idea of the overall lay of the land.  For example you don't want to get caught at the bottom of a drainage that leads away from any base area or highway so that the only way out is to climb back up.  This happens every year at Killington and Jay Peak.  At Jay it is possible to put yourself 10 miles from any road or habitation and -30 nights occur there even in early apr.

i suspect the video was made for laughs and dramatic effect, nevertheless there's a lesson there.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 1, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

AndyGene wrote:

This video scared the poo out of me.  It is what I assume is a prime example of why you don't follow someone elses tracks.  Never having done any true back country skiing, I have no idea.  Does anyone have any details on it?  Is it real, etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LILXfwhdk

The video was posted by the Telluride ski patrol with the permission of the skier when it happened in February 2014.  He was okay with only a minor shoulder injury.  Apparently it was posted on Facebook.

Huffington Post did an article yesterday so it's making the rounds again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/31/skier-off-cliff-helmet-cam-telluride-video_n_5063800.html

JohnL
April 1, 2014 (edited April 1, 2014)
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Very simple rule, know the terrain you are skiing.

But, I'm real surprised how poorly that cliff was marked, especially since it was off what was either a trail or a tame open face. I've never seen anything that poorly marked (ok only once and that was at Whistler and I almost took a 20 footer but it was a packed out trail. Story for another day.)

Edit: I initially assumed the terrain was inbounds, but it was backcountry? If backcountry, dude's an idiot.

AndyGene
April 2, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

marzNC , Thank you for the info.  I'm glad after reading that article the person only suffered minor injuries.

scottyb
April 2, 2014
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts

That would be a small cliff at Tride.

Don't follow me I don't know where I'm going.

chaga
April 2, 2014
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

follow someone elses tracks at white grass and you might find an endless supply of sweet glade lines

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.