Where Skiing Last Week in March?
36 posts
9 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I am thinking of going to Massanutten and Wintergreen, probably Thurs/Fri.  Anybody hit these areas on Sat/Sun, Mar 22/23?  Conditions?

Anybody else sking this week?

wgo
March 24, 2014
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Colonel,

I may try for Massanutten for a couple hours on Wednesday morning. If I make it out there I'll be sure to post about conditions.

March 24, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

MephitBlue indicated (in another topic) that he might be at Whitetail or Massanutten one day this coming weekend.

David
March 24, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

I think I may try to get out and ski Timberline on Saturday if the weather holds out. 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 24, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Colonel,

I may try for Massanutten for a couple hours on Wednesday morning. If I make it out there I'll be sure to post about conditions.

I'll be skiing at Massanutten on Tuesday.  May stick around to ski Wednesday morning too.  Depends on when the snow flies and how warm it gets afterwards.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2014
3,246 posts

It's a powder day at Mnut today, March 25.  At least an inch of can't-make-a-snowball snow by 9:30am and still snowing steadily on the mountain as of 11am.  Hoping temps stay below 32 all day.  In that case, Wed morning is going to be pretty fun too.  But get out here now for the the untracked and ungroomed all over the place.

Lift 4 is not running so have to take Lift 3 and 5 to get to Lift 6.

wgo
March 25, 2014
1,666 posts

Leaving from work shortly - will hopefully be on the slopes close to 2 pm today.

JohnL
March 25, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

wgo wrote:

Leaving from work shortly - will hopefully be on the slopes close to 2 pm today.

Have fun. From web cam, looks like an inch or more at Timberline so far. Should fill in some mogul troughs for this weekend.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2014
3,246 posts

Came in for another break to warm up.  Plus it's time to change to the Black Pearls.  At least 3 inches of new snow up on Paradice, could be 4+.  Clouds are thinning out but it's still snowing a little.  Not melting on the seats of Lift 6 as of 1pm.

March 25, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Thanks for report.  I plan on skiing at The Nut on Thursday.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2014
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Should be great spring skiing on Thursday.

Never got above 32 at the top of the mountain, so it was a powder day all day.  With temps in the 20s tonight, I'm expecting the powder to hold up on Wednesday morning.  Skied hard with wgo this afternoon so decided to stay overnight.  Wasn't too keen on driving home tired on the wet roads in southern VA.  Besides, there is untracked left at the top of Upper MakAttack.

March 25, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Shhh, or the ski patrol will hit it in early morning!

JohnL
March 25, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

marzNC wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

Never got above 32 at the top of the mountain, so it was a powder day all day.  With temps in the 20s tonight, I'm expecting the powder to hold up on Wednesday morning.  Skied hard with wgo this afternoon so decided to stay overnight.  Wasn't too keen on driving home tired on the wet roads in southern VA.  Besides, there is untracked left at the top of Upper MakAttack.

If there is untracked left, you two weren't skiing hard enough. ;)

JohnL
March 26, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Looks's like 7.5 inches at T-Line yesterday. That will fill in any bare mogul troughs. It will be nice skiing for closing weekend.

Brook
March 26, 2014
Member since 09/28/2010 🔗
58 posts

3/25/14 at Wintergreen  Virginia . Empty slopes and free refills .    8 or 9 inches of  Allegheny esque blower had to of fallen during the day  by the time they closed. Lightly edited video from around 1 PM , several inches fell after this clip and filled it right back in. We'd get 3 or 4 runs off the acorn lift . Let the highlands refill then go get freshies over there and vice versa all day. It was amazing

https://vimeo.com/90080059

wgo
March 26, 2014
1,666 posts

JohnL wrote:

marzNC wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

If there is untracked left, you two weren't skiing hard enough. ;)

Don't blame MarzNC; I'm the one who has let his off-season conditioning slip :)

wgo
March 26, 2014
1,666 posts

Brook wrote:

3/25/14 at Wintergreen  Virginia . Empty slopes and free refills .    8 or 9 inches of  Allegheny esque blower had to of fallen during the day  by the time they closed. Lightly edited video from around 1 PM , several inches fell after this clip and filled it right back in. We'd get 3 or 4 runs off the acorn lift . Let the highlands refill then go get freshies over there and vice versa all day. It was amazing

https://vimeo.com/90080059

Nice! Massanutten was really good, but it looks like Wintergreen was the powder skiing capital of the mid-atlantic yesterday.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 26, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Vince and I might ski Wintergreen this Sat or Sun (thanks Bousquet19), kind of depends on forecast and which day is least likely to be wet.  Anybody gonna be there?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2014
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Shhh, or the ski patrol will hit it in early morning!

Turned out that even the top of Upper MakAttack was groomed, probably right after closing on Tuesday afternoon.  Actually a good thing because of the strong winds overnight and on Wednesday.  The new snow on top of any bumps pretty much blew into the trees.  I could see the ice from Lift 5.  Very different look than the afternoon before.

Paradice and DJ were quite fun.  Groomed with windblown snow in spots.  Paradice still has snow whales in a few places.  Temps were in the teens before I left around 11am, so there were no more than five people using Lift 6, including the ski patrol.  I doubt it ever got over 32 on the mountain all day.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2014
3,246 posts

Black Pearls good in chopped up powder and on empty groomers.  Snow almost all blown off the trees.  Glad there is some wind protection on Lift 6.

Down to the ice on Upper MakAttack bumps because of the wind.  Easy to see from Lift 5 so not worth a run.

Took a couple runs on the untracked windblown on the edge of the bumps towards the top of Paradice.  Guess ski patrol liked the groomer side better. :-)

March 27, 2014 (edited March 27, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Thursday, March 27:  I just got off the slopes at Massanutten, conditions were great-soft hero snow until late when ParaDice and Showtime slopes got a bit sticky.  I got here late and skied a couple of hours, hope to end season early tomorrow morning at Wintergreen before the showers arrive! Great cover on all open trails, with 2-3 inches of snow still covering much of the woods and rocks offslope.  I did laps on the lift 6 twin diamonds.  Maybe 6 others on each slope I skied, all with big grins.  I rode chair a couple times with a lovely lady, Louise, who skis like an expert young woman.  She amazied me by saying she would be 51 on Sunday- no way!  Today was her 45+/- ski day this season.  I invited her to join the gang on DCSki.

MarzNC and WGO, do you know her?  She was wearing a purple coat today.

wgo
March 27, 2014
1,666 posts

Colonel,

Sounds like a great day. I do not know the person you mention but I imagine I probably saw her skiing at some point...sounds like she has a few more days on the slopes this season than I do...

March 28, 2014 (edited March 28, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

3/28/14 Friday:  

I ended my season skiing at Wintergreen.  Upon my arrival this morning it began to shower and occasionally rain, hard enough that I did not decide to go out until 12:30, after the rain stopped but a heavy fog blanketed the mountain.  Visibility was poor at best for about 2 hours.  At one point the fog began to lift but as I came upon the first steep pitch on Upper Clifhanger  I suddenly  could barely see my skis; I managed to ski down this pitch hoping there were no unseen moguls or bare spots.  Surface slope conditions were wet and sloppy at times.  I did laps on the Highlands trails.  Fairly decent sking given the weather conditions, very few bare spots.

This was my 19th day skiing this season: 5 at Snowshoe, 4 at Timberline, 4 at Park City , 2 at Deer Valley, and 1 each at Liberty, Massanutten, Wintergreen and Canaan Valley.  Considering I only had 5 days by mid-Feb, a pretty successful season for this older body.  Hopefully next year I will be able to get closer to 25 slope-days!  

The Colonel

JohnL
March 28, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Ended your season????????????

I am likely to get 13 more days. If I don't ski these areas, they may close!

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 28, 2014
2,964 posts

I'm still on track to ski at Wintergreen on Sunday if the rain clears out by then.  Hope to meet small group of friends down there. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2014
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Thursday, March 27:  I just got off the slopes at Massanutten, conditions were great-soft hero snow until late when ParaDice and Showtime slopes got a bit sticky.  I got here late and skied a couple of hours, hope to end season early tomorrow morning at Wintergreen before the showers arrive! Great cover on all open trails, with 2-3 inches of snow still covering much of the woods and rocks offslope.  I did laps on the lift 6 twin diamonds.  Maybe 6 others on each slope I skied, all with big grins.  I rode chair a couple times with a lovely lady, Louise, who skis like an expert young woman.  She amazied me by saying she would be 51 on Sunday- no way!  Today was her 45+/- ski day this season.  I invited her to join the gang on DCSki.

MarzNC and WGO, do you know her?  She was wearing a purple coat today.

Sounds like a fun day of spring skiing!

I haven't come across the woman who met.  Haven't really ridden up Lift 6 with many advanced women in general.  Usually hard to find any singles to ride up with because everyone gets so spread out.  Talk more with people on Lift 5.

David
March 28, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Was going to ski tomrrow because I work Sunday, but 90% chance of rain has got me saying no thanks...

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2014 (edited March 28, 2014)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I only have about 30 days this year, a record low since my retirement in dec. 2008.  I am "home" now furiously packing and preparing for the move to CA.  It took us only a few days to find an apartment in a gorgeous Victorian building on Nob Hill, San Francisco.  Meanwhile, as my wife keeps reminding me, our house in VA is not our house any more.  The sale also went fast and I am out of here next week.  Living in a house that must be kept squeaky clean for showing with most of your belongings moved out for staging is stressful but it will be over soon.  So a shortened season is not such a bad thing.  

BTW Kirkwood is at least the equal of Squaw and Alpine Meadows for expert terrain and has deeper and better snow and far fewer people, IMHO

Meanwhile Kirkwood where I have my pass is in a storm cycle.  3 feet in the last 4 days with another big one on the way.  Wish I were there - but, later they'll be Mt. hood.  Now I can drive there in one day, to say nothing of Tioga Pass, Lassen, Shasta, maybe even Beartooth Pass in MT.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 29, 2014
2,964 posts

Denis, to paraphrase Mr. Shakespeare: Why then the West's mine oyster/Which I with skis will open :-)

SCWVA
March 29, 2014
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

David wrote:

Was going to ski tomrrow because I work Sunday, but 90% chance of rain has got me saying no thanks...

I guess I don't need to send you a text about skiing Sunday.  I'm heading to the Valley on Sunday.  Was hoping for some nice spring skiing, but it looks like I might have to settle for some freshies.  :)

Depending on accumalations, might just have to make a visit to WG.

Anyone know if Tline is offering the $1 lift ticket after 12noon on Sunday?

JohnL
March 30, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Gunna be interesting today at t-line. Wet day yesterday, with surface turning grey in spots. Freeze last nite with three inches of new snow. Still snowing.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 30, 2014
2,964 posts

We bagged Wintergreen for today.  Maybe they got some snow too, but seemed a big chance to be a very messy rain/snow mix with high winds too.  What happened to spring?  We're going to go straight from winter to summer this year.

JohnL
March 30, 2014 (edited March 30, 2014)
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

The WV Alppps delivered yet again. Cleaning off the car the AM, it was at least 5-6 inches of fresh pow. Continued to snow lightly (with some strong winds) until ~3 PM . Finished off local skiing with a pow day. All trails skied great, including the bumps on Hollywood and The Drop. We left plenty of good snow on the mountain.

Jimmy, Charlie, kwillg6, wgo (and son), and SCWVA were there. Maybe better snow today in WV than TomH skied in Colorado. ;)

Soft snow surface on Saturday and until 3 PM or so, it wasn't really wet. (One shower passed by before I started skiing at 11:30 or so.)

Spring on Saturday, Winter on Sunday. The roller coaster weather continued until the end.

wgo
March 30, 2014 (edited March 30, 2014)
1,666 posts
Yep, great day. We left a bit early, but lots of great powder turns while we were there. Nothing like ending the season with a couple powder days!
March 30, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Too bad the snowmobilers get what is still there!!!!!!!

JohnL
March 30, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Too bad the snowmobilers get what is still there!!!!!!!

May not be much there by next weekend. Highs in the 50's for the entire week and some rain forecast. It will go fast.

But, if the lifts were still turning, Mon/Tues would have been amazing. Regardless, I'm sure some folks will be skinning up.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.