Snowshoe conditions?
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
Flatlander
March 18, 2014
Member since 01/13/2014 🔗
8 posts

We took a day trip to Seven Springs this past Sunday and was really disappointed with the conditions.  Frozen grandular where groomed and frozen solid everywhere else.  They had a hard freeze the evening before so you could not ski the trees or bumps as it was rock hard.

I am headed to Snowshoe on Saturday for a four night family spring break trip. Anyone have insights on how Snowshoe is holding up.  I know they just got a big dump but have they been having these bad freeze thaw cycles causing the frozen granular and  boiler plate conditions?

Thanks for any insights.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2014
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

We had 50+ degree temperatures for 2 days in the Laurels followed by a rain deluge at 3:00 AM Saturday morning. Then it got cold very quickly. Thus the groomed granulary conditions. I believe Snowshoe got a pretty good dump from the recent storm. Thus you'll have powder on top of frozen granular I would imagine. Perhaps someone can provide a first hand report.

JohnL
March 18, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Flatlander wrote:

We took a day trip to Seven Springs this past Sunday and was really disappointed with the conditions.  Frozen grandular where groomed and frozen solid everywhere else.  They had a hard freeze the evening before so you could not ski the trees or bumps as it was rock hard.

I am headed to Snowshoe on Saturday for a four night family spring break trip. Anyone have insights on how Snowshoe is holding up.  I know they just got a big dump but have they been having these bad freeze thaw cycles causing the frozen granular and  boiler plate conditions?

Thanks for any insights.

This is the Spring; the thaw (or rain)/freeze cycle is to be expected everywhere (and has been happening everywhere and looks to happen everywhere this week.) Especially with the roller coaster weather of this past ski season. Check the NWS forecast (linked off Snowshoe's site) for this upcoming week and this weekend.

Just hope for warm weather the days you are skiing to soften up the snow.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2014 (edited March 18, 2014)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Flatlander wrote:

I am headed to Snowshoe on Saturday for a four night family spring break trip. Anyone have insights on how Snowshoe is holding up.  

I was there last weekend.  Sat was very nice - solid coverage except for the very top of upper shays and cupp.  (they did get 3 + inches wed / thu before).  It warmed to near 50 on Sat.  Got below freezing Sat night and I only skied until noonish.  The ballhooter area was groomed and very firm.  Grabhammer and Skip Jack were the best of the basin.  Spruce and Upper Ballhooter were a bit icy.  We "tried" Knot Bumper on Sat.  HUGE bumps all over but it was soft.  I did not see but one or two there Sunday as it had to be frozen boulders in there.

The Soaring Eagle area was OK on Sat but was groomed first on Sunday and was frozen up when I got there late morning.  Sawmill and Skip Jack were the best of breed over there.  Camp 99 was a sheet of ice and Widowmaker was "ok"

I did not do Cupp on Sun but my son did and said it was OK but not as good as Sat.Green trails on Sunday were inches deep of frozen WV corn once they got tracked.  

One thing I noted that was new, they let lower Ballhooter bump up.  This forced A LOT of traffic away from that side of the lift to the other side.  At least a 3 - 1 margin in lift line depth.  

Honestly - I'd set your expectations accordingly.  I'm just glad we can still get out a few more times but it sure would have been nice if that storm Sunday night showed up 24 hours earlier for my greedy self.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2014 (edited March 19, 2014)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

We were there sat and sun also, same experience as bluedon- no lines on the lower ballhooter side   Kudos to the shoe.  Proof is in the pictures

Saturday:   Lapped knotbumper 

Sunday:  Lapped Shays - fantastic conditions.  

Flatlander
March 19, 2014
Member since 01/13/2014 🔗
8 posts

Thanks for the comments and the photos.  The snow coverage still looks great.  Hopefully we get just enough mix of temperature and sun to soften the snow each day.  This trip was too be the last hurrah of the year but with the sustained cold in the forecast for the next 10 days I am trying to leave the schedule open the weekend of April 5-6.  Might still be skiing at Snowshoe or if not should be a great weekend to try fit in a quick trip to Whiteface or VT - even with the long drive for just a day or two of skiing.      

Droogie
March 23, 2014
Member since 03/22/2012 🔗
76 posts

How much snow does it look like SS will get Monday night through Wednesday? Are the two systems going to converge?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?