Wonderful Snowy Luau 2014
24 posts
10 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2014 (edited March 16, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Lodge windows painted with Hawaiian tropical scenes, skiers with leis and grass skirts, Polynesian music/dancers, coconut bras, pig roast...it must be Snowy Luau Weekend at Timberline Ski Resort!!!

AND after dark, under a full moon: the bonfire blazed, fire twirlers showed their skills, never ending drums warned of events to come, one could almost feel the earth rumbling underfoot and then........then.......oh my!!!  red hot lava began to flow as explosions rocked Hertz Mountain filling the night sky with displays of volcanic fireworks as the large enthusiastic crowd oohed and aahed, showering applause and shouts of thanks on the near 100 double torch bearers that skied/boarded down the darkened face of the mountain.  

Afterward, the crowd dispersed-some headed to the evening Polynesian Review show (free) inside the lodge, others to cower under their bed covers reflecting on the day's strange events!  And the mountain calmed, awaiting the 2015 Timberline annual Snowy Luau springtime festival.  Plan now to be there or you will once again miss one of the most unique family ski parties in the US!

The Colonel

March 16, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

And it ends with a snowstorm!!

The Colonel

March 16, 2014 (edited March 16, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

So far during Snowy Luau weekend I have seen these DCSkiers: Jimmy and Mrs. Jimmy, JohnL, Charlie, Kim & Wife, Laurelhillcrazy & Family, Scotty, and a couple others I cannot remember.

scottyb
March 17, 2014
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts

that was my evil twin

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JohnL
March 17, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

scottyb wrote:

that was my evil twin

SCWVA. Evil but not your twin.

JohnL
March 17, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Snowy Luau 2014 still lives! Plenty of folks stayed last night.

At least 8 inches of new this am. Likely more.

March 17, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Top if the morning to ye, DCSkiers!  Happy St. Patrick's day!  A previously mostly brown Canaan Valley awoke to a deep coating of white gold powder.

And JohnL got his wish!

The Colonel

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2014
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Sorry I missed you, Colonel. I wish I could have stayed to enjoy the fresh powder. See you next year.  

JohnL
March 17, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Top if the morning to ye, DCSkiers!  Happy St. Patrick's day!  A previously mostly brown Canaan Valley awoke to a deep coating of white gold powder.

And JohnL got his wish!

The Colonel

Yes I did!

Roads were treacherous last nite, so driving back wouldn't have been a good idea.

Today was a great finale to Snowy Luau. But Jimmy (and SCWVA?) are still there, continuing Luau. Make it back OK Colonel?

Very nice powder day; I'd say close to a foot fell between Sunday PM and this morning. Off the Wall, Silver Streak and White Lightning were fantastic. Plus, The Drop was an Alice in Wonderland snow covered toad stool mind trip. Foot deep puffs of snow sitting on top of the bumps. Catch air off the puff and land in soft sweetness. Didn't understand why most were bypassing the toad stools and skiing the troughs.

wgo
March 17, 2014
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

JohnL wrote:

Plus, The Drop was an Alice in Wonderland snow covered toad stool mind trip.

That line should win some sort of award for best ski reporting.

Bummer that I haven't been able to make any turns with you guys this year. I may be at TL for the scheduled closing day (3/30).

scottyb
March 17, 2014
559 posts

Thats awesome you guys got Luau and a bonus Pow day.  Any pics?

Solid 6" here at HF

March 17, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

HF???

scottyb
March 18, 2014
559 posts

HF=Harpers Ferry

JohnL
March 18, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

I thought HF = Home Front.

SCWVA
March 18, 2014
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

JohnL wrote:

Today was a great finale to Snowy Luau. But Jimmy (and SCWVA?) are still there, continuing Luau. ........The Drop was an Alice in Wonderland snow covered toad stool mind trip. Foot deep puffs of snow sitting on top of the bumps. Catch air off the puff and land in soft sweetness. Didn't understand why most were bypassing the toad stools and skiing the troughs.

JohnL,

I didn't see you guys, but I know you saw my tracks................:)

March 18, 2014 (edited March 18, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I skied at Canaan Valley on Monday, great conditions with packed and unpacked albeit somewhat heavy fresh snow.  I must admit having some difficulty on Gravity trail because of unseen icy moguls underneath the 10" inches of new chopped up snow.  Eventually decided best way down was simply to ski the mess ( so much for CV daily report that slopes were groomed).  Was going to ski TL today,Tuesday, before heading back to Fairfax but changed plan after tired beat up legs shouted "enough already" leading to a relaxing morning prior to drive home.  Cloud formations this morning were awesome mimicking the terrain of the Valley mountains.  Hope to post pictures later, but really hard to capture the bright streak details in the mountain hugging clouds without washing out the mountains themselves.

The  Colonel

JohnL
March 18, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

scottyb wrote:

Solid 6" here at HF

No time to stop and take pics on a powder day, Brah! Plus, it was a bit brisk in the AM with a decent wind coming in from the northeast. My mitts were staying in my mittens.

Did take a few pics of my friends in the PM, but they didn't come out that well and are not Internet-worthy.

chaga
March 18, 2014
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Must've shared a lift ride with chipper?

JohnL wrote:

The Drop was an Alice in Wonderland snow covered toad stool mind trip
chaga
March 18, 2014 (edited March 18, 2014)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

scottyb wrote:

the leprechan of WG caught red handed and jacketed and rediculed for jumpin ship and riding lifts with tons of natural snow on the ground? :o

(actually smart idea to let the customers break trail in the heavy snow around the mountain then ski the next day and get freshies all day there also)

didn't know this existed till it was decorated and pointed out by tara downs. exchange student from ireland died 8 yrs ago in this spot off of the dew. (the real tree he hit was removed)

fishnski
March 19, 2014
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Didn't see anybody that I recognized at the Luau (Hung out in pool room and at the Bonfire)..Anyhoot...Heading back Home..lifes a Beach!...Did get a message from a Fischer Cat (Wolverine Cousin) that I have seen at my  Wv Camp..I named him Alppy BTW...He predicted 4 more weeks of Winter for the Alpps!

kwillg6
March 20, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

I saw a lot of the guys and girls this luau weekend.  A group of us did the tourch lite parade and I must say, it was incredible this year.  Riding the chair, I felt guilty that I got to do it free. No wind... sunset to the west was still colorful.... full moon to the northeast was magnificent... mild air and they had groomed WL to make it easier for the tourch bearers.  Although it was one continual side/pivot slip to the bottom due to the "fast" set up conditions, it was a blast this year.  Might even get me to do it again sometime. 

Snow began around 2 PM and continued throughout the night until we had 12" of fresh.  Got first tracks with JohnL, Jimmy, and Mikie C on OTW after catching one of the first chairs.  

My wife and I held a celebration of my Son's life on Sunday afternoon and skiers from all the land of Canaan and beyond came to join us.  Afterward, we met up with Jimmy and JohnL in the Pub then gravitated to Siriannis and stuffed ourselves with the hot stuffed peppers, our favorite.  

AndyGene
March 20, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Did anyone ride the zip line?

March 20, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

To Kim and wife,

I am distressed about your loss of only child.  Nothing I say or do can really lessen your pain and grief.  May the Good Lord hold you tightly in the palm of His hand.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless!

Morgan

aka The Colonel

scottyb
March 20, 2014
559 posts

+Vibes to you both.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?