Timberline/CV this weekend
15 posts
6 users
2k+ views
skicat
March 6, 2014 (edited March 6, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Hi There! Just joined the DC ski forum and so excited:)

I am thinking of heading to TL/CV this weekend but heard that they didn't get much snow recently. Is it going to be icy/hard to ski on? I would call myself intermediate (started last season and can ski all blues and some easy blacks at Liberty). I went to CV during President Day weekend. The condition was so good and I got improved a lot - end up skiing all their trails except for gravity. I know this time it won't be the same but how much worse?

Also, I want to try TL out. I know they have the ski the valley deals but wondering if I should do both days TL or one day each. Heard about the TL crowds on Saturdays. But now it is towards end of the season is it still like that?

Thanks!

And of course, if anyone is heading there as well, hope to see you there on the slope!

JohnL
March 6, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Timberline is more crowded than Canaan Valley, but it is empty compared to Snowshoe, Seven Springs, Wisp, Whitetail, Liberty, etc.

The last two Saturdays have been surprisingly crowded; at times nearly as busy as President's Day weekend. On Sundays, especially Sunday afternoons, T-Line is empty.

For whatever reason, Timberline stays busy (relatively speaking) until Snowy Luau weekend. I've noticed this the past few years. Unlike other places which see a marked drop in skier traffic after President's weekend.

Should be nice soft Spring conditions this Saturday. Sunday, difficult to tell.

skicat
March 6, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Thanks JohnL!

In that case, I will definitely stick to CV on Sat and try TL out on Sunday. Fingers crossed that condition is going to be OK:)

JohnL wrote:

Timberline is more crowded than Canaan Valley, but it is empty compared to Snowshoe, Seven Springs, Wisp, Whitetail, Liberty, etc.

The last two Saturdays have been surprisingly crowded; at times nearly as busy as President's Day weekend. On Sundays, especially Sunday afternoons, T-Line is empty.

For whatever reason, Timberline stays busy (relatively speaking) until Snowy Luau weekend. I've noticed this the past few years. Unlike other places which see a marked drop in skier traffic after President's weekend.

Should be nice soft Spring conditions this Saturday. Sunday, difficult to tell.

scottyb
March 6, 2014
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts

u'never know till u go

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Skicat, welcome to DCSki.  You might want to consider TL & Canaan the weekend of March 15-16.  This is Snowy Luau at TL with lots of fun (mostly free) activities.  They bring in a Polynesian dance troupe for a couple of shows, have many contests, and on Saturday evening there is a torchlight parade that descends the mountain (representing flowing lava just as the "volcano" erupts with fireworks from the top!  Quite a fun weekend.   

The Colonel 

skicat
March 6, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Wow I didn't know that... Now it is a hard decision. Do I go now or next week? Do I get to ride the sleds if I go next week? And they have free roasted pigs?

The Colonel wrote:

Skicat, welcome to DCSki.  You might want to consider TL & Canaan the weekend of March 15-16.  This is Snowy Luau at TL with lots of fun (mostly free) activities.  They bring in a Polynesian dance troupe for a couple of shows, have many contests, and on Saturday evening there is a torchlight parade that descends the mountain (representing flowing lava just as the "volcano" erupts with fireworks from the top!  Quite a fun weekend.   

The Colonel 

SkiBunny
March 7, 2014
Member since 02/13/2014 🔗
18 posts

I'm at Wisp this week but we took a day trip over to TL this past Wednesday 3/5/14. Weather was beautiful and conditions were good - hard pack but with some fluff on top. I do not like skiing on ice and there was no ice that I encountered. I was able to comfortably ski everything multiple times except the difficult moguls. Whichever weekend you end up going have fun and report back!

March 7, 2014 (edited March 7, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Ride sleds???  If you mean the "things" at Canaan, probably.  CV indicates ski area open weekend of 15-16.  Call & check on specifics.  NOTE:  CV Lodge has about 50 percent off new room rates beginning 14 March, great chance to check the new digs!!!

The Colonel

March 7, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Ride sleds???  If you mean the "things" at Canaan, probably.  CV indicates ski area open weekend of 15-16.  Call & check on specifics.  NOTE:  CV Lodge has about 50 percent new room rates beginning 14 March, great chance to check the new digs!!!

The Colonel

kwillg6
March 7, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

For a great time, make sure you go to T-line next weekend 15/16 for luau.  It's a blast and you'll have a great time.  As for this weekend, conditions should be good.  I tolerate January and February cold and winds to get to March for great spring conditions, sunshine, and the best apre's.  As for the pig at luau, it's not free.  You pay for a good size plate which includes all the fixings.  If you've never been there, get ready for a time warp.  The lodge, the parking, the everything is throwback to the 80s, but the skiing is some of the best south of  New England.  A true skier's mountain.  Many fo the DC Ski folks make the pilgrimage on luau weekend. for fun, sun (we hope) and great skiing.  

March 7, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Kwillg6 speaks the truth!!

The Colonel

kwillg6 wrote:

For a great time, make sure you go to T-line next weekend 15/16 for luau.  It's a blast and you'll have a great time.  As for this weekend, conditions should be good.  I tolerate January and February cold and winds to get to March for great spring conditions, sunshine, and the best apre's.  As for the pig at luau, it's not free.  You pay for a good size plate which includes all the fixings.  If you've never been there, get ready for a time warp.  The lodge, the parking, the everything is throwback to the 80s, but the skiing is some of the best south of  New England.  A true skier's mountain.  Many fo the DC Ski folks make the pilgrimage on luau weekend. for fun, sun (we hope) and great skiing.  

skicat
March 7, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Thanks for all the inputs!

I just realized the hotel room I booked for this weekend can no longer be cancelled. So it looks like I will have to go this week instead of next week. Feeling a bit sad that I miss the luau weekend. But at least I can look forward to some decent conditions.

I will ski at CV on saturday and TL on Sunday to avoid the TL crowd:)

March 7, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

You might check with hotel or booking service to see if your stAy this weekend can be changed to next weekend vice cancelled.  Most places willing to do this.

The Colonel

skicat
March 9, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Just got back. Was at cv on sat and TL today. Had so much fun! I was able to do gravity at CV and off the wall at TL- a big achievement for me!

kwillg6
March 11, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Good to hear.  Sunday's conditions were a little fast.... Saturday was a bump day.  The best bumps of the last several years with soft corn on the drop and thunder draft.  SCHWEET! 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?