Two Day Trip with Kids -- Snowshoe or Elk or other Suggestions?
17 posts
8 users
1k+ views
BaltoBill
February 25, 2014
Member since 02/24/2014 🔗
23 posts

I'm planning a Sunday to Monday trip with my boys (a 12 year old skier and 10 year old boarder) in March and want to drive not more than 5.5 hours, have good terrain, and be able to stay reasonably close to the mountain.  Both of my boys can handle blacks and double blacks in Vermont, and I was thinking that it seems that Elk and Snoeshow are our best options for decent vertical and good snow. They also both like glades, so maybe that puts Elk out of the picture, but out of those two, what is the best option (assuming weather is equal).  Any other ideas would be appreciated.  We wish we could get up to Bolton Valley or Stratton but the drive is a little much for two days.

I'm new to the forum and board (although I've read it for some time) and appreciate the advice and all that the board offers.

Bill

Reisen
February 25, 2014
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

If you do Snowshoe, jump on the ridiculous pass deal (do it today, before it goes up any further).  It's good starting March 1st, I think.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Bill - I'm a Snowshoe guy at heart but assuming you are coming out of Balt, don't rule out Blue Knob in PA.  It's a much shorter (and easier) drive with quality blues, blacks and glades.  

If you decide to go to SS I can point you in the right direction for lodging options.  ^^ ditto ^^ what Reisen said.  If you do the pass, you'll want to go back next year to get the full value.

BaltoBill
February 25, 2014
23 posts

Thanks guys.  The pass wouldn't make sense for us as we wouldn't go next year.  But depending on the weather I'd be interested in reasonable lodging options at Snowshow -- really appreciate the help.  

I hear such hit and miss things about Blue Knob, including that it is usually icy.  Would you choose it over Elk?  

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 25, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Hunter Mtn, NY is almost the same from Balto as Snowshoe and has more challenge, also with Plattekill nearby (similar to Blue Knob type place).  Never been to Elk, but my son spent three days there in Jan and was pretty impressed with the consistent steep pitch on some of the black diamonds.  Snowshoe is really high elevation for our part of the ski world and would likely hold it's own conditions-wise with Hunter and Elk into March and has much more resort amenities.  Elk would be 60-90 mins closer from Balto than others mentioned.  Blue Knob is great (~3:15 from Balto), but rarely full-on in March unless you're really lucky.  What are your dates?

BaltoBill
February 25, 2014
23 posts

Probably March 23-24 or March 30-31.

BaltoBill
February 25, 2014
23 posts

Stratton has good deals then but it's such a haul...

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 25, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

That's quite late.  Pretty much zero chance that Blue Knob would be open, much less good, on those dates.  They others ought to be open and could be roughly even conditions-wise.  Personally I'd go to Hunter.  They make a lot of snow.  Plattekill probably closed by then, but Windham might be open nearby, old Catskills trip report:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1184&mode=rss

BaltoBill
February 25, 2014
23 posts

Thanks so much -- I will just see how the weather is and choose then -- last minute.  I will definitely think of Hunter. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Driving from Baltimore, definitely go north instead of west to Snowshoe or Blue Knob.  The terrain at SS is not worth the mountain driving or driving around DC.

Elk is nicely laid out.  No trees for skiing, but the trails ski longer because they wind around.

Hunter, Belleayre, and WIndham are about the same driving distance.  Haven't skied there but have heard good things about all of them.  That late in the season, shouldn't be any issues with lift lines on the weekend.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

BaltoBill wrote:

I'd go with the weather forecast last minute as you indicated in another post.  That time frame is a real crap shoot.  We could all be golfing on March 15.  IMO those are roll the dice dates.  Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.  It appears you have the proper wait and see attitude and will hedge your bet.

I know some will disagree, but I have to back my home state of WV.   As every financial advisor states, "past results are not always indicative of future performance' but this is what we skied the 3rd week of March and 1st week of April in Snowshoe 2013. (Others may have similar experiences @ TL, CV and WG) 

https://vimeo.com/85154238

https://vimeo.com/73409809

I hope you (we) get a foot of snow the weekend you go. 

jimmy
February 26, 2014 (edited February 26, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

BaltoBill wrote:

I'd go with the weather forecast last minute as you indicated in another post.  That time frame is a real crap shoot.  We could all be golfing on March 15.  IMO those are roll the dice dates.  Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.  It appears you have the proper wait and see attitude and will hedge your bet.

I know some will disagree, but I have to back my home state of WV.   As every financial advisor states, "past results are not always indicative of future performance' but this is what we skied the 3rd week of March and 1st week of April in Snowshoe 2013. (Others may have similar experiences @ TL, CV and WG) 

https://vimeo.com/85154238

https://vimeo.com/73409809

I hope you (we) get a foot of snow the weekend you go. 

We were able to ski Timberline from the top (of thunderstruck, not the tippy top) to the lodge without taking our skis off in late April last year; it wasn't the first time. Snewshow & BlewKnob have a lot of fans on here but if you want good snow, interesting terrain, lots of affordable & modern lodging choices and a bunch of friendly people come to Canaan Valley/Timberline. Ever been there?

wgo
February 26, 2014
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

jimmy wrote:

We were able to ski Timberline from the top (of thunderstruck, not the tippy top) to the lodge without taking our skis off in late April last year; it wasn't the first time. Snewshow & BlewKnob have a lot of fans on here but if you want good snow, interesting terrain, lots of affordable & modern lodging choices and a bunch of friendly people come to Canaan Valley/Timberline. Ever been there?

Jimmy, are you free-heeling these days or did you just bootpack it up?

Sorry for the thread hijack - what Jimmy said. TL will almost definitely have good coverage on most of their trails in late March. May not be much in the trees depending on the weather. Other factor to consider is that March 30 is listed as the closing day, so there will be no lift-served on March 31.

BaltoBill
February 26, 2014
23 posts

Jimmy -- how do I email you directly on this system?  Thanks for all the comments!

jimmy
February 26, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

wgo hiking boots up, alpine boots down. 

BaltoBill I sent you a private message.

JohnL, I sent BaltoBill a private message. Do I have to start a new thread titled "BaltoBill I sent you a PM" ?

FreshPow
February 26, 2014
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

marzNC wrote:

Driving from Baltimore, definitely go north instead of west to Snowshoe or Blue Knob.  The terrain at SS is not worth the mountain driving or driving around DC.

Elk is nicely laid out.  No trees for skiing, but the trails ski longer because they wind around.

Seconded. That time of year, go north and go to Elk. It's overlooked from this area, if not folks on this board. Part of its attraction. Depending on conditions and your schedule, you might be able to squeeze in a short session going up or back at Montage. It's right off the Interstate, behind the shopping center. ;-) Their lower mountain has some decent terrain.

jimmy
February 26, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

BaltoBill wrote:

If you are flexible on the date, check this out

http://www.dcski.com/articles/1394 

Snowy Luau, Best Spring Celebration in the MidAtlantic.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?