Timberline Lodging
9 posts
8 users
2k+ views
River Hill
February 3, 2014
Member since 02/3/2014 🔗
15 posts

Looking for suggestion on lodging for a family of 4.  I don't mind a short drive.  It just needs to be clean for wife and daughter :)  If it was just my son and I, we could rough it anywhere.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2014
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

I like mountain top realty, good staff and the website deals are good.  

eastcoastrider
February 3, 2014
Member since 02/3/2014 🔗
6 posts

Whitegrass compiled a comprehensive list here:

http://whitegrass.com/lodging.html

I had good experience with Canaan Realy and it is the only place that allow you to book for 2 nights. Mountaintop, Best of Canaan and Timberline realy all require 3-night minimum on most units (except some smaller units like Deerfield).  

For a family of four, Deerfield village or Blackbear resort might be a good option. (or if you don't mind staying in the same room, the updated lodge room at Canaan Valley Resort is nice but also quite pricey)  I would also check out Golden Anchor cabin, they have nice cabins with hot tub and for the price slightly above the lodge room at Canaan Valley Resort, you can get the whole cabin for your family.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

The newly renovated Canaan Valley Lodge is nice and a short drive to Timberline, free bus ride to Canaan Valley ski area.  When do you hope to go and where are you driving from?  Lots of great advice and details on things to do on this site.  What do you all enjoy: all ski, pool & hot tub, sledding run, cross country skiing, tube hill, ice skating, sightseeing (large waterfall, lots of deer), etc.

if you have a non-skier I would suggest CV Lodge as a base.  Previous post mentioned rental house or townhouse at TL, not much else to do at TL other than slope sliding.

Give us more info on your situation and wants, you definitely will get lots of advice.

The Colonel

River Hill
February 4, 2014
Member since 02/3/2014 🔗
15 posts

Thanks for all of the info.  We will want to stay in the same room as the kids are still under 18.  We really are not looking at doing anything thing else, but skiing.  We will be coming from the Frederick, MD area so it should not be a bad drive.  We are thinking about going after Presidents Day weekend.

Any suggestions on places to eat would be great.  Don't need fancy, just good food.

kwillg6
February 4, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

If you're looking for food and lodging then it's the state park.  If you want slopeside or close to it, look for a 1 BR w/loft at Northwoods.  You can walk to the slopes and have a fully equiped kitchen.  I know of one or two that rent but you need to go through a realty.   

yellowsnow
February 4, 2014
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

Try VRBO for lodging.

For eats, try Deerfield Restaurant.  Or Sirianni's.

SCWVA
February 5, 2014
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

A friend of mine and his Wife stayed at Canaan Village Inn this past weekend, and he said it was very clean and simple.  He also mentioned that the person at the front desk was very helpful and friendly.  I also believe they offer discounts on lift tickets.

chaga
February 5, 2014
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Here is a sweet place you will want to stay at. Walking distance to White Grass ski center and cafe. Close to Tline also

http://www.vrbo.com/460010

yellowsnow wrote:

Try VRBO for lodging.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?