Blue Knob Advice for 1/17/14
5 posts
4 users
3k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I'm debating going to Blue Knob tomorrow.  Lift tickets are only $35 if I buy today - Liftopia.  Conversely, Hidden Valley and 7S are $60 - 70 so I can justify the extra 45 min drive to ski a "new to me" place.

Has anyone been recently?  Ski report looks promising but a first hand report would be ideal.  I'm looking at a 2.5 hr drive and would hate to make the trip to ski on ice or closed trails.

Further complicating matters, I need to home by 5:30 PM for a dinner party.  

Is it even worth it?  Bear in mind, my alternative is to sleep in and putz around the house all day.

JohnL
January 16, 2014 (edited January 16, 2014)
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I'm debating going to Blue Knob tomorrow.  Lift tickets are only $35 if I buy today - Liftopia.  Conversely, Hidden Valley and 7S are $60 - 70 so I can justify the extra 45 min drive to ski a "new to me" place.

Has anyone been recently?  Ski report looks promising but a first hand report would be ideal.  I'm looking at a 2.5 hr drive and would hate to make the trip to ski on ice or closed trails.

Further complicating matters, I need to home by 5:30 PM for a dinner party.  

Is it even worth it?  Bear in mind, my alternative is to sleep in and putz around the house all day.

Per their site, Stembogan and Expressway and Deer Run are open. Freaking worth $35 dude!

It won't be the classic BK experience, cuz Ex and Shortway and Lower Route 66 and .. aren't open. But still worth the extra 45 minutes. Heads-up, they may not open until 10 am midweek (used to be the case.) Still worth it. Grab a big breakfast and ski 10-2:45 non-stop.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

JohnL wrote:

Still worth it. Grab a big breakfast and ski 10-2:45 non-stop.

Advice heeded, ticket purchased.  

Now ..... All I need is an easy place to park, change into ski boots and hit the slopes.  I assume they have a locker room near where you pick up pick up lift tix so I can store my shoes and ball cap.  

Time for some research but if anyone has some tips .... I'm all ears.  

Also, to my fellow Yinzers, rte 22 to 99 S or stay on the PA turnpike to 99 N?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2014 (edited January 16, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

If you pick up tickets at ticket window in main lodge at top: early weekday parking should be just outside building.  Lockers avail inside.

Enjoy,

The Colonel

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2014
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

The Colonel wrote:

If you pick up tickets at ticket window in main lodge at top: early weekday parking should be just outside building.  Lockers avail inside.

Enjoy,

The Colonel

Agreed.  Free cubbies, too, right by the cafeteria tables.

Enjoy,

Woody

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?