Need advice
16 posts
11 users
3k+ views
Windowphil
December 2, 2013
Member since 12/2/2013 🔗
5 posts

So I went skiing once... 10 years ago at Mt Treblanc? In Canada. I'm now in Alexandria, VA and would like to plan a trip for New Years.. December 26th - January 1st... With my girlfriend. We are in our mid 20s and have no idea where to start as we see many options between Pennsylvania, md, va, and wva. Please help... A not too far away, romantic, quality, all inclusive resort for a low price would be ideal :) 

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 2, 2013
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

That would be nice indeed but I think you can get any one of those but not all at the same time and especially not over that week. Try Seven Springs for all inclusive meaning everything is right there at the resort. You can have a fine dining experience at Helen or choose a few other less expensive dining options. There's an indoor pool, a spa, a bowling alley in addition to the skiing and it is all within walking distance from the hotel. The only time you will need to go outside is to go skiing. It won't be cheap and it is probably already book up. They usually have packages that include lodging, lifts and at least breakfast. Good luck.

scottyb
December 3, 2013
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts

Windowphil wrote:

We are in our mid 20s and have no idea where to start.  :)

Hahahaha, you are doomed. 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2013
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Windowphil wrote:

A not too far away, romantic, quality, all inclusive resort for a low price would be ideal :) 

As noted above, 7S would be an option as well as Snowshoe (SS) which offers some of the things you are looking for.  There is upscale lodging, a new spa will be ready by then and other non skiing actitivies.  Not sure how others feel, but we've always had an outstanding meal at Elk River which is a short drive from SS.

Quite frankly, "low price" is just not in the cards for you during Christmas break.  Both 7S and SS will be 100% occupied at top dollar rates and the crowds on the slopes will "lessen" your experience. 

If you really want to enjoy a trip for a reasonable price, take off a non holiday Monday + Tues and hit one of these resorts Sun - Wed.  No crowds, lift tickets and lodging will be 50% (or less) than what you'll pay over Chrsitmas break.

Hope this helps - and I sure wish I was in my mid 20s - good luck and post up a report once you decide and make the trip.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kwillg6
December 3, 2013
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Quiet get away during the Christmas/New Years week?  Wow.  You'd probably want to sign up for lessons too which will cost some as well.  Snowshoe would be good if you get the right accomodations.  There's good restaurants there... I'd stay away from Seven Springs due to the day crowd over the holidays.  Canaan/Timberline ususally doesn't get busy until the 5 days prior to the new year and Canaan never gets busy and they have the new lodge open which I understand is terrific.  Most other areas closer to DC are not places I'd want to spend a week doing.   There's always the Poconos which have a wide variety of ski areas but lodging options are mostly away from the mountains.  However, if you crave nightlife, go to the shoe.  They have a wide variety of things to do apres'.

wgo
December 3, 2013
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

As others have said, Seven Springs and Snowshoe are probably closest to hitting the "all-inclusive" requirement, but at the time of the season you are talking about you will pay $$$.  For quality of skiing many on this board (including myself) prefer the resorts in the Canaan Valley area (Timberline and Canaan Valley Resort), but some find these areas a bit more "rustic" then they would prefer (although the lodge at Canaan Valley Resort was just renovated, so maybe it now has more of the atmosphere you are looking for).  You may want to consider Massanutten resort near Harrisonburg, Va. It is smaller than the other options mentioned thus far so you may not want to spend more than a day or two skiing it, but from your original post I get the sense that you would not want to ski everyday. There are other activities (such as an indoor waterpark) to keep you occupied. The resort is near Harrisonburg, so you may also be able to find things to do outside of the resort.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Reisen
December 3, 2013
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

When you write all-inclusive, do you mean "I want spas, nice restaurants, shopping, skiing, maybe ice skating, etc.", or do you mean "I want to pay one price and have food and beverage included"?  I'm assuming the latter.  If so, I've never seen that at a ski resort.

If it was the former, and you want the full resort experience (not just a lodge, a hotel, and the ski slopes), I'd recommend Snowshoe.  I haven't been to Seven Springs (really need to change that!), but Snowshoe offers a legit resort experience with a number of restaurants, some shopping, a Starbucks, spa, hot tubs, etc. 

That said, you'll pay top dollar for this at that time of year, so if you are at all cost-concious, I'd go someplace smaller, with less amenities.  Perhaps look to stay off mountain somewhere.  It will be more "cozy" and "homey", and less "lux", but you'll encounter fewer crowds, probably still have decent food, and meet nice people.  There are lots of resorts that fit this bill, and some on the board could advise you better than I could.

JohnL
December 3, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Just be aware that the lodge at Canaan Valley Resort is a couple miles away from the ski area.

A not too far away, romantic, quality, all inclusive resort for a low price would be ideal :) 

I'm debating whether or not this post is a prank or not. If not, what you are asking for is equivalent to looking for a house in good condition with a yard in Old Town in a safe neighborhood for $300K.

Windowphil
December 3, 2013
Member since 12/2/2013 🔗
5 posts

Thank you all for your help! From the responses here is what I think...  We will go to Showshoe for New Year's Eve and then I'll stay a couple days following the celebration Dec. 31st - say Jan 3rd. (This should be a less expensive and crowded time compared to dec. 26- jan 1st?) Snowshoe is also close by me which is a plus. I'll try the 7 next time I go skiing as it's farther away.

I'm happy I asked and thanks again for all the help. 

Windowphil
December 3, 2013
Member since 12/2/2013 🔗
5 posts

JohnL wrote:

Just be aware that the lodge at Canaan Valley Resort is a couple miles away from the ski area.

I'm debating whether or not this post is a prank or not. If not, what you are asking for is equivalent to looking for a house in good condition with a yard in Old Town in a safe neighborhood for $300K.

Ironically I live Old town :)

Windowphil
December 3, 2013
Member since 12/2/2013 🔗
5 posts

Thanks.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2013
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Windowphil wrote:

Thank you all for your help! From the responses here is what I think...  We will go to Showshoe for New Year's Eve and then I'll stay a couple days following the celebration Dec. 31st - say Jan 3rd. (This should be a less expensive and crowded time compared to dec. 26- jan 1st?) Snowshoe is also close by me which is a plus. I'll try the 7 next time I go skiing as it's farther away.

I'm happy I asked and thanks again for all the help. 

Here's a few saving tips:

1. Consider renting directly from an owner VS an agency.  vrbo.com is a good resource
  2. Buy your tickets online via Liftopia in advance
  3. You can bundle equip rentals into #2 above or book online via Ski Barn and save 10%

My place is booked but I've got friends with multiple condos down there.  You can find their places on go2snowshoe.com

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2013 (edited December 3, 2013)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I am sure you will enjoy Snowshoe!  where are you staying, i suggest Allegheny Springs.  Regardless, stay in the Village where all the action is.

In the future another option for the full experience is The Homestead Resort (.now called Omni Homestead in Warm Springs, Va.  They offer the 5Star experience with skiing, assuming they get busy with the snowmaking!  They also offer all inclusive plans.  Compared to Snowshoe the ski slopes are more limited, possibly less crowded.

I suggest you all rent your skis/boots in local area and avoid hassle at whatever resort you choose, and possibly inferior equipment (least likely at Snowshoe) assuming you have room to carry them.  Be sure to reserve equipment in Advance whether at ski area or local.  Given crowds, you might consider a couple private or semi private lessons, then group lessons.  Most importantly make sure you all have fun and enjoy the trip, especially the girlfriend.  By the way, you did not merino her skiing experience level.

TaThe Colonel

HardcoreLooper
December 13, 2013
Member since 11/27/2013 🔗
24 posts

wgo wrote:

... You may want to consider Massanutten resort near Harrisonburg, Va. It is smaller than the other options mentioned thus far so you may not want to spend more than a day or two skiing it, but from your original post I get the sense that you would not want to ski everyday. There are other activities (such as an indoor waterpark) to keep you occupied. The resort is near Harrisonburg, so you may also be able to find things to do outside of the resort...

I see where you decided on Snowshoe (good choice).  But if you're ever thinking about coming down to VA to ski and do some vacationing and you don't mind a bit of a drive, you might want to consider staying in Charlottesville.  It's about an hour from both Massanutten and Wintergreen, and it's a great little town.  Plenty to do if you don't want to ski that day and good nightlife.

Windowphil
February 7, 2016
Member since 12/2/2013 🔗
5 posts

Hello everyone,

Since this post 2 years ago I went to Blue Knob resort (shortly after the original post) and last season I went to Whitetail. 

The "girlfriend" and I are now husband and wife.

My skiing skills have progressed to the blues :)

Just wanted to give y'all a friendly update.

I think we will try Seven Springs this season...

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

hey that is fantastic Phil.   conrgats on the marriage and the skiing.   some will debate which one is more important.  thanks for the update. 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?