Canaan Valley Resort Improvements
10 posts
5 users
5k+ views
Tucker
October 19, 2013
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts

...checked out the resort lodging improvements and they are impressive...here is some local news coverage...

http://www.wboy.com/story/23630834/canaan-valley-resort-renovations-nearly-complete

JohnL
October 19, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Hey Mr. T,

Any idea what the net increase in beds is? I'm assuming they tore down some old buildings and replaced them with new buildings. (Not sure I drove up there last winter.)

wvrocks
October 21, 2013
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts

I'm pretty sure I read that they would have a net decrease in beds when its all said and done.

JohnL
October 21, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

wvrocks wrote:

I'm pretty sure I read that they would have a net decrease in beds when its all said and done.

Interesting. I understand the need for upgrading accommodations, but the Valley could use some more beds and lodging options (especially during prime season.)

Tucker
October 22, 2013
893 posts

I also heard it was a downsizing in beds. I am all for both local resorts looking to focus less on attracting mass customers and concentrating more on customer service---the increase in customers will follow with better customer service...

John, curious why you say valley needs more beds...seems to me the valley is rarily fully occupied, but I have never really looked for lodging up here so not sure if it is difficult or not.

JohnL
October 22, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

John, curious why you say valley needs more beds”¦seems to me the valley is rarily fully occupied, but I have never really looked for lodging up here so not sure if it is difficult or not.

Lack of lodging options has been one of the biggest complaints when I've recommended to friends, etc. to ski in the valley.

jimmy
October 22, 2013
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Stayed at the lodge three summers ago. The guest rooms were BEAT. I would think that "lack of lodging options" was more a factor of quality than quantity?

Tucker
January 9, 2014
893 posts
MephitBlue
January 9, 2014
Member since 11/8/2009 🔗
181 posts

My wife and I stayed at the lodge overnight for opening day at Canaan Valley.  The new rooms are much nicer than the old Canaan Lodge rooms.  I'd even go so far as they have an upscale feel to them and come with nice amenities like nice flat screen TV, microwave and fridge.  There are also plenty of outlets for charging your electronic devices.

Unfortunately, once you leave your room, the experience feels a bit like the same old Canaan Valley resort.  The food in the main restaurant wasn't that great, especially for the cost.  Definitely not up to the standards you would expect from the upscale feel they have given the resort and the price for staying there in the new rooms.  The workout facility and pool area have not been updated and some of the machines in the game room didn't work and just ate our money.  Perhaps these things will get improved as they continue to update the lodge, but my wife and I left feeling dissapointed with the new Canaan Valley.  

Canaan still needs to improve to be a full resort.  They've improved the rooms, but the rest of the experience hasn't improved.  It may have even degraded a bit.  

Canaan Valley has potential, but I'd love to see a good high end lodging option and a good mid-level cost lodging option for the area.  The one place my wife and I stayed in the past that we really liked was the Bright Morning Inn in Davis, but they don't have many rooms.  However, they have a really good breakfast that is included in the price.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.