Skiers making C turns on powder?
14 posts
10 users
2k+ views
Sincraft
March 7, 2013
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
As a skier and boarder, I still dont really know how to explain this. But, on Weds during our recent powder event (and it was powder!) , I was kind of shocked at the amount of people that were making C turns on powder of all things. I can see during packed granular or icy conditions, taking a much more careful approach down North face etc, however doing that on Powder? They are KILLING the powder. By 9:45, the untracked powder was almost completely gone, and 90% of the people were making sharp slow turns down black diamond slopes?

This is so frustrating to see them destroy the powder like this. I was amazed at how quickly the entire mountain was packed out by straight skiers wearing steelers jackets.

Maybe there should be a powder license like a drivers license. It's a responsibility, .....

.......and if you are caught side slipping down the middle of north face , destroying a 6' wide swath of powder from top to bottom because YOU SUCK, then you should have your license revoked and NEVER be allowed to dri..er SKI again!

With that said - Wed was a great day to be at 7Springs. Even with the straight ski gapers taking over for the day..

It wasnt until about 11:30 that things really changed and the snow was getting pretty damn solid. That and the slopes resembled something like stormy seas or, an inlet. Not fun on a board, and with the snow being heavy like that, not fun on skis either.

I found some areas , such as the tree line between the north face lift and gunnar, where the snow drifted about 2' deep. That was VERY nice to drop into and scream through. I went through this 3 times and followed my line almost the same and got almost the same amount of powder fling as the previous run. Pretty good for a more dense powder.

Alas, by noon it was no longer powder. Mush potatoes. I'll bet the next day (today) was pretty good after groomed.

Lets hope our little base holds us until April or, we get a freak cold snap and a nice 12" dumping to take us through the looooooooong, HOTTTTTTTTTTT, boring summer months. If we snow gods would curb the sudden warm up (no 75 degree and sunny days like last year please!), and we could get ONE more nice snowfall, I'd retract all my negative thoughts about the weather this year.

Here's looking forward to next years ski swap!

EDIT - I just thought of this. If you find yourself reading this post, then one day out and doing the above to save your butt, dont listen to me. Save your butt! Best to be safe than to push your comfort levels, especially near trees and other large immoveable objects. Stay safe!!!!
djop
March 8, 2013
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts
I think that what you are calling 'C' turns, I would call J turns.

The upright arm of the J is the fall line. A J turn therefore is one that leaves the fall line. By contrast, a C turn both enters and exits the fall line.

Beyond that *shrug* who cares? It's a resource, they paid for it, they can do what they like within safety limits.

Frankly, I'm more bothered by drivers spraying good bubbly over themselves and the crowd, blast it all there are only so many acres of grapes in Champagne. Grrr.
JohnL
March 8, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Z turns?
MadMonk
March 9, 2013
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Lowercase "g" turns?
Sincraft
March 9, 2013
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
Originally Posted By: djop
I think that what you are calling 'C' turns, I would call J turns.

The upright arm of the J is the fall line. A J turn therefore is one that leaves the fall line. By contrast, a C turn both enters and exits the fall line.

Beyond that *shrug* who cares? It's a resource, they paid for it, they can do what they like within safety limits.

Frankly, I'm more bothered by drivers spraying good bubbly over themselves and the crowd, blast it all there are only so many acres of grapes in Champagne. Grrr.

Car racing, baseball and skiers on black diamond slopes making C and reverse C turns - all painful to watch
GGNagy
March 11, 2013
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Originally Posted By: Sincraft

Car racing, baseball and skiers on black diamond slopes making C and reverse C turns - all painful to watch

Damm! I can only cause 2/3rds pain. laugh laugh laugh

JohnL
March 11, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Originally Posted By: GGNagy
Originally Posted By: Sincraft

Damm! I can only cause 2/3rds pain. laugh laugh laugh

Looking at the picture, pain is about to be inflicted on you in 5 seconds...
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2013
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I've been following this topic and remain focused. What exactly is a "C" turn? And do 2 "c" turns equal a "s" turn?
The Colonel
jimmy
March 11, 2013
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Thanks i'm wondering the same thing
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2013
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I have been confused by this thread from the beginning. Here is the way powder is supposed to be conserved for one's fellow powder skiers.

http://www.gravityfed.com/articles/farmer-dave.html

This guy is a legend. And, BTW, those are C turns.
JohnL
March 11, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
I have been confused by this thread from the beginning.

This is DCSki.

Two more philosophies I've learned from Denis.

Quote:
Best way to ski powder? ..... Is First. cool

Quote:
Never leave good snow in search of better snow.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 13, 2013
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Is that the quote? I guess I mutated it to Never leave good snow to find good snow. Oh well, slightly different words, same meaning.

As for C turns, that is what I always aspired to do on all surfaces, a nice round C turn through the fall line and perhaps beginning uphill before starting the next C. C turns allow you to use your line to control your speed instead of a high angle edge set you use in Z turns. Two Cs in equal but opposite directions equals an S. Well executed C turns should result in less side slipping and therefore preserves the surface, especially soft or powder surfaces. Abrupt Z turns and over rotating scraps of the new snow to expose the hard base or dirt.

Sincraft, what do you mean or are you just baiting us 2 plankers?
JohnL
March 13, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Jimmy and I were talking about GS C turns on Sunday.

I think Sincraft was talking about
-
-
-
-
- - - - -
turns when he mentioned C turns.
Crush
March 13, 2013
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
"c" or "s" turns are all i make lol so if that is no good i am in trouble. seriously i think sincraft meant perhaps a lot of traversing or something; these turns on a power day are all "c" turns of various radii:

nothing wrong with that. most beginners initiate a turn in powder and get locked-in on a traverse not knowing how to start the next turn or feeling uncomfy about it dues to snow resistance, unfamiliar situation, etc. that usually sets up for a bunch of ruts going across the hill instead of things going down the fall line.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.