Sad News at Wisp (again)
15 posts
11 users
6k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2013
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts
This is the second death this season there.

Wisp news article
GRK
February 27, 2013
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Both on Squirrel cage into the trees. Is there a curve on this trail that people are blowing through? Never been to Wisp.

Very sad news and sobering, reminds me about what's important and what would become of my family if I broke my fool neck.

Be careful out there, you have nothing to prove.
Mad Max
February 27, 2013
Member since 02/2/2011 🔗
8 posts
It is straight, kind of wide, short, and not even really that steep. I was there shortly after the first incident and was trying to figure out how it could happen as I observed the trail from the lift. There is a small stand of trees between squirrel cage and the trail to the left. There is a bigger patch of trees on the right, but those are on the other side of the drop off from the man-made base as well as on the other side of the lift. It would take some effort to get into the bigger set of trees. It does get icy, so maybe they both just lost control. I still do not see how it happened, twice no less.

ETA: The pic from Wisp's webcam shows the trees to skier's right that are thinly dispersed (you could make a straight line through them, if necessary), as well as the drop off and some of the denser trees on the other side.

OK, well I guess I can't add an image.

http://www.wispresort.com/wisp/info/w.webcam.aspx
FreshPow
February 27, 2013
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
I too have only been to Wisp once and can somewhat recall that spot. It isn't too dangerous. However, I seem to think it's right as you crest the 'face' after a rather gentle approach, so probably within the first one or two edge sets as one gains speed. Trees to skier's right.

Furthermore, note the ages of both: 38 and 40. Male. That's actually the typical demographic in many fatalities the last several years. A believed cause being the increased speed and responsiveness of today's skis. We can all ski like heroes. However, one quick catch of an edge while too close to the trees and wham. We've all had some of those close calls.

That said, I have no further knowledge of either incident than what was reported. Please consider this more a commentary on industry wide observances. However, I've heard via a skiing acquaintance who knew the latest individual that he was an expert skier and from a great family. My deepest condolences. As well to the Wisp patrol for having two of these in one season.

Be safe.
jimmy
February 27, 2013
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: FreshPow

That said, I have no further knowledge of either incident than what was reported. Please consider this more a commentary on industry wide observances. However, I've heard via a skiing acquaintance who knew the latest individual that he was an expert skier and from a great family. My deepest condolences. As well to the Wisp patrol for having two of these in one season. Be safe.

x2, well put freshpow
Sincraft
February 27, 2013
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
Originally Posted By: Mad Max
It is straight, kind of wide, short, and not even really that steep. I was there shortly after the first incident and was trying to figure out how it could happen as I observed the trail from the lift. There is a small stand of trees between squirrel cage and the trail to the left. There is a bigger patch of trees on the right, but those are on the other side of the drop off from the man-made base as well as on the other side of the lift. It would take some effort to get into the bigger set of trees. It does get icy, so maybe they both just lost control. I still do not see how it happened, twice no less.

ETA: The pic from Wisp's webcam shows the trees to skier's right that are thinly dispersed (you could make a straight line through them, if necessary), as well as the drop off and some of the denser trees on the other side.

OK, well I guess I can't add an image.

http://www.wispresort.com/wisp/info/w.webcam.aspx

So is it possible that people are rushing through that thin tree clumps for some excitement and maybe there is an unforeseen rut or bump or something tossing people ?

I would station someone there to watch people and look for potential hazards after two deaths.

I was on the lift at 7spring on Sunday, icy day, and wondering why people were riding at 40-50 mph down the north face so close to the snowmaking poles. I realize that the conditions are somewhat more favorable but REALLY ripping it there is just asking for trouble. They planted trees in front of that equipment long ago due to some bad hits into that equipment , but many of those poles especially in the middle part dont have any protection but the stupid padding they put that only goes about 5' off the ground. Well with a 30" base, anyone over 3' tall is going to small metal. Not to mention, those pads are like 2" thick. Might as well leave them off.
b2otto2
February 27, 2013
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
I have had more close calls this year with other skiers than in years past. I ski relatively fast for a 53 year old, but always try to stay in my fall line. I had one skier at 7S a few weeks ago cut in front of me on Giant Steps, He came from behind me on my right and cut to the left heading to Lower Gunner Lift line slope, I was doing 50mph, my skis went over the back of his, I lost my balance but never fell. He never stopped and I was quite shook up by it.
GRK
February 28, 2013
404 posts
Sincraft raises a good point. What does a resort do after a fatality? After the second one on the same hill? I would hope they would have patrollers crawling all over that place trying to see what could have happened. It coudl be that by doing something a little differently with the groomers they could encourage people to stay away from those trees. OR put some ropes up if nothing else.

An expert skiier eh? Could have hit a rut or just lost focus and caught an edge...OR he might have been avoiding another skiier or skiers, just looking for a clear way down the hill.
snow.buck
February 28, 2013
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts
Originally Posted By: b2otto2
I was doing 50mph, my skis went over the back of his,

And you don't consider that too fast and reckless and a danger to others on the slopes? Probably not.
b2otto2
March 2, 2013
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
50 mph on black diamonds and blue cruisers is probably average to below average speed to most experienced skiers, and that's carving. When you see skiers point their skis downhill without making turns their speeds are approaching 70 mph. You don't realize how fast you are going till your carry a GPS with you, we also carry an AVOCET VERTECH II SKI that measures vertical feet and counts runs. I'm 53 and I cant keep up with ski buddies that are 10 years older than me.....
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2013
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Wonder if there was helmet use in this mishap...
scootertig
March 4, 2013
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I was at Round Top last night, and was pretty sure I was going to see someone seriously injure/kill themselves on that main run (under the quad).

A girl was snowplowing her way down (slow, but predictable turns) and some clown came straightlining from the top of the run in that terrifying half-crouch thing that is common among beginners who have figured out how to go fast, but not much else.

He almost smacked the girl, and made what appeared to be his first turn of the run to do avoid doing so. Once turning, he was out of control, and headed skiers' right toward the trees at full speed. "Luckily" he managed to crash and only slid on his back to the very edge of the run, but it could have been a lot worse.
FreshPow
March 4, 2013
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
I'm a bit uncomfortable speculating what did or did not happen in these instances, but regarding some of these comments:

If one is in fact going in excess of 60mph (which I seriously doubt - I think those pocket GPS' get a bit over eager - just like their owners who quickly screen save and post to Facebook) if not a more likely 30mph, there's very little room for correction if skiing near the trees and you catch an edge/suddenly have someone cut in front of you. That's too fast on busy days. You shouldn't have to be told that by a patroller. Common sense should dictate. As stated above, today's ski's may create too much comfort. Few of us could ski that awesomely back on the old skinnys.
Putting up a rope around the tree line? Seriously? Yeah, that's going to catch them. What happened to personal responsibility? Most, if not all trails (around here), have trees on both sides. Consider it a given.
If full on impact to a fixed structure, including trees - a helmet doesn't do anything to prevent massive body trauma or a ruptured aorta from the sudden impact. Yes, they are helpful for a number of other more isolated accidents involving the head and the merits outweigh a wool hat, but many of the worst wrecks are full body. They do permit the application of cool stickers, if you like. I've got a 'Ski the East' on mine.
djop
March 4, 2013
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts
Originally Posted By: scootertig

A girl was snowplowing her way down (slow, but predictable turns) and some clown came straightlining from the top of the run in that terrifying half-crouch thing that is common among beginners who have figured out how to go fast, but not much else.

The technical term for this advanced-to-expert technique is "Texas tuck".

Key points here
- hands near or at belly button, must NOT have hands extended towards ski tips (this is an automatic disqualifier)
- all bend is at waist, must NOT have high ankle flexion (this is an automatic disqualifier)

Optional elements:
- ski pole baskets higher than head
- weight on heels
GRK
March 5, 2013
404 posts
Originally Posted By: FreshPow
Putting up a rope around the tree line? Seriously? Yeah, that's going to catch them. What happened to personal responsibility? Most, if not all trails (around here), have trees on both sides. Consider it a given.

I was not referring to something as idiotic as roping off the trees. What I am referring to is influencing the flow of traffic. If you were to put stakes, netting, whatever, near the top and skiers right on a pitch that was directing skiers towards the right and towards the trees on skiers right you could force a left turn near the top of that pitch and away from the trees.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.