12 posts
11 users
3k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2013
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Arrived at 5.00pm.
Not crowded, naturAl snowfall started about thirty mins later. Now snowing moderately! Never seen so many snow guns going at one time, a blizzard.
Conditions are amazing, great coverage and powdery surface, little or no I ice to be found. Skied all trails except bump run. Only complaint: need better lighting! Met several volunteers skiing nonstop to rack up vertical to make $ for Wounded Warrior program. Last volunteer I rode up with was on his 90th run, started at 8:15 this morning! The goal is for each volunteer to ski 100,000 vertical in a day, or 109 runs from top of six pack in a day! Not sure who sponsors are but he thought they had raised more than $20K so far today. WOW!
Tomorrow should be fantastic up here!
The Colonel
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 4, 2013
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Posting while skiing ought to be worth some gnar points. grin
skiracerx
February 5, 2013
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts
Going to be awesome today, heading up soon. looks sweet. Thanks for the post on conditions.
skiracerx
February 7, 2013
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts
Tuesday 12 to 6 pm was great wide open, not many folks around. I had a blast The link is for a Vid Link vid of the day. I ran far side and Bold most of the time then loop to loop on the front. Big turns...
scottyb
February 7, 2013
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
Posting while skiing nekid ought to be worth some gnar points. grin

FIFY
SteveC
February 11, 2013
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
145 posts
went up Saturday and it was perfect! Great snow conditions and no lines! I've been skiing there for something like 7 years and can't remember a better day.
2PTOG
February 14, 2013
Member since 12/14/2011 🔗
87 posts
Thinking of going up to Whitetail for some turns tomorrow since I don't have to work, weekday crowds promise to be nonexistent, and the ski season won't be here much longer. Its supposed to be quite warm tomorrow, to the tune of a roasting 48 degrees, will it be worth it with nice soft spring turns or will it be too slushy, like a skiing a slurpee?
marshall
February 27, 2013
Member since 01/31/2010 🔗
16 posts
I just got back from Whitetail today. I had never been skiing on a weekday and was shocked at how few people there were on the slopes. I had about 30 min to kill before my lesson so I did a few runs on the bunnies and it was so quiet that I could hear conversations of people at the bottom while I was half way up the lift!
I ended up getting a private lesson for 1.5 hours (since no one else was there at 10:00am)and learned a lot. It is a shame that I won't have a chance to go back this season. I asked a couple of folks there and they seemed to think that they have maybe a couple of weeks left tops before they close.
Conditions were a little warm (47) and it got a little slushy on parts of Sidewinder - but I had never skied on groomed snow before so it was a blast. I will say I may be so spoiled from todays outing that I may not be able to go on a weekend again! I got more runs in today in 4 hours (around 30 or so) than I have gotten in all of the other times I have skied (4) combined. I didn't realize that they don't put the ropes up on the weekdays around the lift area so it was right off the slope and right on the lift again.
I will say that I would have preferred it being a little bit colder but I had a great time.
Edgar3
February 27, 2013
Member since 05/29/2007 🔗
149 posts
Originally Posted By: marshall
I just got back from Whitetail today. I had never been skiing on a weekday and was shocked at how few people there were on the slopes. I had about 30 min to kill before my lesson so I did a few runs on the bunnies and it was so quiet that I could hear conversations of people at the bottom while I was half way up the lift!
I ended up getting a private lesson for 1.5 hours (since no one else was there at 10:00am)and learned a lot.

Thanks for the post. You have graduated to a new level of skiing by realizing that Midweek and Spring Season are the best time to go. You can practically have the whole place to yourself at a much lower cost than all the suckers who are there on the weekends. Lift tickets, lodging, everything is dirt cheap for those who can work outside of the box.
Sincraft
February 27, 2013
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
Originally Posted By: Edgar3
Originally Posted By: marshall
I ended up getting a private lesson for 1.5 hours (since no one else was there at 10:00am)and learned a lot.

Thanks for the post. You have graduated to a new level of skiing by realizing that Midweek and Spring Season are the best time to go. You can practically have the whole place to yourself at a much lower cost than all the suckers who are there on the weekends. Lift tickets, lodging, everything is dirt cheap for those who can work outside of the box.

Those suckers have jobs and only have the weekends frown
And evenings but, yuck - I'm not that desperate anymore hehe.

I have a day I allocated to go mid week that I was going to use in Feb but it never happened. I'm HOPING we get some snow AND it's not soaking wet snow or a snow after base crushing rain.

I know its rather late in the season to be wishing this but LET IT SNOW!
MadMonk
February 28, 2013
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
I went yesterday. I was a bit skeptical after the rain and wind on Tuesday.

Overall it was pretty good. Temps in the 40s and intermittent sun had some nice corn forming early in the day. Around 2:30 or so the snow started to turn into mashed potatoes so you had to watch yourself to avoid getting hung up.

Good times. No crowds.
mikev
March 1, 2013
Member since 02/7/2011 🔗
9 posts
went Friday 3/1 from 3:30 to 7:00, was "loose granular" as advertised.

Overall pretty good, later in the evening as it got colder either I was imagining conditions getting better or my skiing was getting better.

They say they're going to start making snow, I guess they'll mix that in with the loose granular and conditions will get even better. Hope we can get a couple weeks in March this year.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?