Blue knob or Timberline for Friday Jan 25
10 posts
5 users
3k+ views
Heath
January 24, 2013
Member since 04/30/2012 🔗
44 posts
Who will have better conditions/open trails? Thank you to anyone with information!
Mook
January 24, 2013
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
19 posts
looks like 2-4" of fresh snow Friday at the Know. Also, Extrovert is open. T-line still not open on the best terrain. Just my opinion.

Anyone know how much snow it takes to get the glades open at T-line? I am missing some tree skiing! (funny how even after snowboarding for over 12 years that I still call it skiing and not riding... its all the same to me sliding down the mountain on board[s] and having fun in the snow!)
Heath
January 24, 2013
44 posts
I had some pretty fresh glades at 7springs earlier in the season, turtle neck glades are pretty sweet, i wonder how bumped up extrovert is, its harder on a snowboard. Timberline claims to have 8" of snow and 8 new trails opening but idk if they will for tomorrow or not.
JohnL
January 24, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Go to the Knob.

One less person to track up my snow at Timberline. Heh, heh. Go, go!

(If you look at my signature, I do love to Ski Good or Eat Wood. But T-Line is my home mtn, for good reason.)

You can't go wrong with either. When Ex first opens, it is very sweet since it's not too bumped up. You can really let your skis run. T-Line will likely have more snow and better snow.

Quote:
T-line still not open on the best terrain. Just my opinion.

I'll channel my inner Fish, Mook the Rook! OTW is open, and The Drop is opening any day now. And just because a trail is closed doesn't mean ya can't ski it.

Quote:
Anyone know how much snow it takes to get the glades open at T-line?

What glades ya talking aboot? There are several, and they take different amount of snow to open (neglecting blowin in from snow guns.) That said, 10-12 inches of base is generally a safe rule of thumb. Dave Lester reported 6" this AM. But more snow coming this weekend.

The glades are always open, it's a matter of whether you want to ski them.
Heath
January 24, 2013
44 posts
It says they've been blowing snow on twister for several days now. I wonder if that will open?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 25, 2013
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Drove up to the line yesterday. 93 was still snowy from the storm. Chip say 5 inches with more on the way today into tonight. Lots of snow in front of my condo--picnic table is buried but much of it could be the result of intense snowmaking as opposed to recent snowfall. Regardless, the situation seem very good all things considered. 3 degrees right now at 5:13 am. I will try and post something again once I make some turns.v
Voila
January 25, 2013
Member since 12/17/2011 🔗
352 posts
I recorded 5.5 inches of new snow by 5am (Thursday) and another 3 or so during the day. As mentioned above, Timberline is supposed to receive another 4-8 inches on Friday - starting any minute now...

Get your b......tt over here - if you like lots of ungroomed slopes during your visit.
Go to Blue Knob is you are looking for the more traditional & groomed.

Timberline is pushing hard to open Twister by Sat - even though they may open it later today. When the patrol wake up and stop cookin' lobster tails and oysters, they will also notice that they can open at least 4 more slopes.

Don't give the patrol a hard time...
They are in training for their new summer jobs: master cooks is seeking in as a reality.

In the meantime, don't worry, you'll have plenty to ski on. If, however, tree skiing is your thing... you'll want to show up super early on Sat.
JohnL
January 25, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Go to Blue Knob is you are looking for the more traditional & groomed.

You've obviously never been to Blue Knob.
Voila
January 25, 2013
Member since 12/17/2011 🔗
352 posts
Actually I have... but here, I am referring to the fact that Timberline will most likely have more powder by Sat morning than Blue Knob.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 25, 2013
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Skied most of the am. Surface conditions on the signature trails are good. Cold! Every run is a warm-up run. -;)

Coolest thing was seeing a jet fighter buzz White Lightning. Looked like an F-18 but it could have been an F-15. Pilot must have been a skier checking out conditions. He or she banked very hard at low altitude coming up the mountain. It was a single aircraft.

Special Olympics have taken over a part of lower Winterset but the trail is open. Go slow...

PS puking snow now at 1246.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?