wintry mix 1/28 at Hidden Valley
8 posts
7 users
3k+ views
noob2
January 24, 2013
Member since 12/19/2012 🔗
4 posts
We want to go ski at Hidden Valley to take advantage of their Monday special but weather says 40% light wintry mix high 34 low 32. Do you think we can still ski? Wintry mix means freezing rain/sleet/snow?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 24, 2013
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
$32 for lifts and rentals is pretty good!
Looks like snow and cold between now and Monday, so conditions should be good on Monday morning and they will definitely be open for skiing. Only question would be whether roads between here and there get icy during the day on Monday. Maybe make it a game day decision?
No guarantees, but more times than not, wintry mix forecast at a ski area winds up being mostly snow.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2013
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Most current forcast I've seen for Monday says, cloudy, high 38. However, from my experience, the weather forcast are not accurate beyond 3 days. They have been making a ton of snow so conditions should be good at most of the local resorts. Check the forcast on Saturday.
gizmosnow
January 24, 2013
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Local (Pittsburgh) forecasts are for 5-9 inches of snow, depending on who you listen to, for Friday thru Saturday. On top of all the snow they have made over past several days, skiing should be excellent on Monday. Be prepared for larger than normal 'Monday' crowds as many Pittsburgh and MD school districts have inservice days next Monday/Tuesday.
56fish
January 25, 2013
Member since 11/4/2011 🔗
73 posts
Originally Posted By: gizmosnow
Local (Pittsburgh) forecasts are for 5-9 inches of snow, depending on who you listen to, for Friday thru Saturday. On top of all the snow they have made over past several days, skiing should be excellent on Monday. Be prepared for larger than normal 'Monday' crowds as many Pittsburgh and MD school districts have inservice days next Monday/Tuesday.

+1
Sincraft
January 25, 2013
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
Originally Posted By: noob2
We want to go ski at Hidden Valley to take advantage of their Monday special but weather says 40% light wintry mix high 34 low 32. Do you think we can still ski? Wintry mix means freezing rain/sleet/snow?

Call them and make sure they plan on opening their north summit. I've been there during the week where they opt not to run that lift because of the severe lack of crowds.

Well of course, I dont really ride there anymore because they lowered their hours and closed down their north summit which I used to like to cruise down , then stop in the little empty lodge at the bottom for bathroom breaks and coffee.

A light wintery mix is nothing. Easy to not notice as long as you wear a helmet and a mask and goggles. Great conditions will be there and you will likely enjoy almost nobody there. They only open from late morning until late afternoons on Mondays though so, be sure to find out when they are open. I believe its like 10am to 7pm or something like that.
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 27, 2013
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts
I was there today and they are calling for freezing rain to all rain Monday.

Conditions were fantastic today. Blue Bird start at 9 AM.

noob2
January 27, 2013
Member since 12/19/2012 🔗
4 posts
Thanks I saw the weather forecast too and had already cancelled my plans. I hope the weather will turn colder again so I can come back another time. They are calling for warmer weather again!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?