Whitetail snowblowing?
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
plateau-reached
January 24, 2013
Member since 12/20/2011 🔗
88 posts
Looks like Whitetail is making a lot of progress on opening all their slopes. I can't wait to head out there soon.

But one question for those of you who have been recently or have the knowledge: Are they constantly snowblowing on all the slopes during the day?

I went one weekday last year where that was happening and would prefer not to repeat it. I'd rather choose a day when most (or at least half) of the blowers are off.

Also anyone know of a way to check in on this on Whitetail's site? They do have webcams but only for a few of the slopes.
camp
January 24, 2013
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
the Snow Report page lists the trails that are Open and which will have snow making that day. usually mostly accurate.

they're in full blow mode now to finally get 100% open (which did not happen last year). If you really want to guarantee no guns, go on a warmer day
FreshPow
January 24, 2013
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
Originally Posted By: camp
If you really want to guarantee no guns, go on a warmer day

Ha! Exactly. It always humors me when folks complain about active snowmaking. Uh, it's kind of necessary and the weather windows fickle and unpredictable. If they can and want to blow - bring it on! ...folks will otherwise also complain a few days later when it warms up and the cover diminishes - "they should have blown when it was cold!" ...probably the same folks who complain when they make it as well.
MadMonk
January 24, 2013
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Went to Whitetail yesterday. They were blowing snow and it was pretty good. While the fresh was a bit heavy it wasn't sticky like you often get from fresh man-made. I'll say this, Bold Decision is going to have some sweet coverage when it opens (today, I believe).
plateau-reached
January 24, 2013
Member since 12/20/2011 🔗
88 posts
Not complaining about active snowmaking at all. I want them to keep doing it! I just only get a couple trips up there a season and I realized last year that I have more fun when there's not fake snow blowing in my face on every slope.

I should probably wait for another day. It sounds like they might open 100 percent soon.
Finsout
January 24, 2013
Member since 01/23/2001 🔗
104 posts
take goggles and a mask
FreshPow
January 24, 2013
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
Originally Posted By: plateau-reached
Not complaining about active snowmaking at all.

Sorry..I got you. Sunglasses on a sunny day always beats googles to me. I was more venting about the many folks who do..I've heard it on the lift many times. Enjoy!
therusty
January 28, 2013
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
On Friday night freshies could be had. Saturday it snowed all day but no accumulation and Sunday was bluebird. Needless to say, it was packed. Like Warren Miller used to say, if you did not go last week, you'll be another week older when you do (or something like that)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?