Whitetail Opening
21 posts
12 users
4k+ views
mwg
December 27, 2012
Member since 08/24/2005 🔗
46 posts
Whitetail will be opening tomorrow, Friday 12/28. Only the beginner area plus Sidewinder will be open.
JohnL
December 27, 2012
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Any word on Liberty or Roundtop?

Also, what's been up the past few days with Whitetail's web site?
mwg
December 27, 2012
46 posts
Liberty opens on Saturday 12/29. Roundtop has not yet made on decision on when they will open. Whitetail's website was down much of yesterday, but is working now.
MephitBlue
December 27, 2012
Member since 11/8/2009 🔗
181 posts
Roundtop is opening Saturday and will have Minuteman, plus some beginner trails open.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
therusty
December 29, 2012
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Warning to all skiers traveling I70 West of Hagerstown/I81: There is construction with a decrease in speed limit to 55MPH. They had the white speed camera SUV out there yesterday.

The snow on Sidewinder was soft yesterday and no rocks. Angel Drop will open next (hopefully Sunday). Exhibition has a lot of snow and should be open "soon".
therusty
December 30, 2012
422 posts
Freshies were available yesterday! Fanciful and Angel Drop open today. Snow Park has a narrow strip that is getting close. Ledgewood looks good.

The construction is just West of exit 24. No camera car yesterday. Returning home (eastbound), the official end of the construction zone is about a mile past the end of the construction. Anyone who gets a ticket for exceeding 55 in that area (past the actual construction zone) should fight it. This is going to get funky with a mix of locals speeding up and tourists trying to obey the lower limit.
yellowsnow
December 30, 2012
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Originally Posted By: therusty
...and tourists trying to obey the lower limit.

That was a joke, right?
RodSmith
December 30, 2012
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
rusty is above the law.
therusty
January 2, 2013
422 posts
That was not a joke and I'm not above the law. That stretch of road gets "zooey" on Sunday evenings without construction. Photo enforcement threats combined with doubled fines are effective at reducing speeds. Sometimes overly so. There is a mile of open road East bound with no construction that is technically under the 55 MPH construction speed limit. There are barrels at the exit 24 ramps that imply construction activity, but there is no visible construction and similar barrels on the Westbound side are out of the speed reduction zone. This is ridiculous. People who travel the road regularly will soon figure this out and start ignoring the 55mph limit after the construction ends. This will inevitably lead to a dangerous mix of fast and slow drivers in heavy traffic. Of course, somewhere there is a professional engineer in DOT who has a different and more authoratative opinion.

I travel this road regularly in ski season. State troopers regularly speed through this area and often issue tickets in this area (e.g. the 20.5 mile marker). I have no complaints about this apparent dichotomy. We (the public) behave the same way (sometimes obey, sometimes not). I am just predicting an obvious outcome of a dumb situation. I am hoping that some brave soul with a good lawyer will get this fixed before a wreck gets caused because of this.
djop
January 2, 2013
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts
Hehe...I was on that stretch last night, driving...a bit north of 65mph.

P.S. By the way...where WAS everyone? Talk about ghost town (with good snow).

PPS: Instructor kudos: Marty (7:30 lineup).
mwg
January 2, 2013
46 posts
yes, surprisingly uncrowded yesterday. Should be good this weekend - temps look low enough for good snow making.
wojo
January 2, 2013
333 posts
Snow was great at WT yesterday. Got a little thin in a few spots by the time I left, but I am sure they will groom it up.

Lets keep hoping for more cold weather.

I have three days so far this year! 2 at Wisp, 1 at Whitetail. How many do you have.
mwg
January 2, 2013
46 posts
Two days for me so far. Headed to WT tomorrow with sons.
Eug
January 3, 2013
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Since I am unemployed frown ... Anybody interested in going to WT tomorrow Friday 1/4? smile
mwg
January 3, 2013
46 posts
Was there today - snow was good. Exhibition will be open tomorrow.
djop
January 3, 2013
343 posts
Originally Posted By: wojo

I have three days so far this year! 2 at Wisp, 1 at Whitetail. How many do you have.

3 at Whitegrass, 1 at Greek Peak, 1 at Snow Ridge, 1 at Labrador, 1 at Whitetail, 2 of messing about with XCD gear on nameless Ontario drumlins. So 3 or 6 or 8 depending on how one counts these things.
NonstopSki
January 4, 2013
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts
What's y'alls experience with going on a Sunday? I anticipate less people to be there, but how would the snow be, for example, this weekend? I always used to go on Saturdays this time of year when I was in high school (fresh out of college now so not too long ago :D), and it just occurred to me that it might make sense to go Sunday to avoid some of the crowd. Thoughts?
djop
January 4, 2013
343 posts
Originally Posted By: NonstopSki
What's y'alls experience with going on a Sunday? I anticipate less people to be there, but how would the snow be, for example, this weekend? I always used to go on Saturdays this time of year when I was in high school (fresh out of college now so not too long ago :D), and it just occurred to me that it might make sense to go Sunday to avoid some of the crowd. Thoughts?

*shrug* I'm planning to do both. The snow is just about always prime on Sat. before noon, no point in missing it. Sunday afternoons are usually pretty dead during football playoffs - the snow is fine.

I avoid the crowds by being there at opening, skiing the advanced lift from 10:30 to 12:45 and leaving at 1:30pm.
camp
January 4, 2013
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

3 White Grass
2 Hidden Valley
1 Whitetail
1 Blue Knob (really really good)
1 local xc

heading to White Grass tonight and wondering why it is I bought a SnowTime pass??
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2013
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Quote:

(Snip)The snow is just about always prime on Sat. before noon, no point in missing it. Sunday afternoons are usually pretty dead during football playoffs - the snow is fine.

I avoid the crowds by being there at opening, skiing the advanced lift from 10:30 to 12:45 and leaving at 1:30pm.

+1
That's the way to do Whitetail on weekends, djop.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2013
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Originally Posted By: camp

3 White Grass
2 Hidden Valley
1 Whitetail
1 Blue Knob (really really good)
1 local xc

heading to White Grass tonight and wondering why it is I bought a SnowTime pass??

Because, camp, conditions are finally good at WT and they've finally opened up the Expert's Choice lift. And you can also go to Liberty w/o much effort, and you can get a discount at Seven Springs with a Snowtime season's pass.

Besides, you can see WT from town, right?

Woody
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.