Laurel Mountain ski resort facebook
12 posts
8 users
7k+ views
rjsherrin
December 5, 2012
Member since 09/28/2005 🔗
145 posts
There are some nice pictures on laurel mountain ski resort facebook. The lodge is in bad shape but the slopes are still in decent shape for a quick downhill run.
Heath
December 5, 2012
Member since 04/30/2012 🔗
44 posts
There are some very active discussions on that page regarding the resort, Anna is finally answering my emails after i spammed her into eventually opening an email to read.
Sincraft
December 7, 2012
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
I recommend to get traction on Laurel you do the following:

1. get a list of names , numbers and emails together for all to run through quickly. List who they are and what they do in regards to this place re-opening.

2. site real reasons for this place to open. Other than to have options beyond springs and HV. HV can barely keep their doors open due to the lack of people. That's probably the reason behind Laurel as , correct me if I'm wrong, it's probably run by state workers who get paid quite well and have to be given some minimums far beyond what you may see as lift operators at HV.

IE: Historic value.

3. come together with a unanimous cause and communication. Hold regular meetings and form a committee. Me personally, I work as a global IT manager for a fortune 200 company , with extensive experience in business administration and staffing. I'm sure between all of us, we could assemble a group of people that have a vast array of backgrounds to give merit to a committee.

regarding the communication. Keep it to one paragraph and make that the marching orders. The 'mission statement' if you will. Keep parroting that in communications to the people that are sent emails or called.

4. get together a list of objections, and figure out what is needed to overcome those objections. IE: We dont have the resources. Do the due diligence to find out if they indeed dont, why these funds dried up and where they went. If they are going to pave a road to some new multi million dollar house complex, surely you can see where you could use something like this as an advantage to garner support through the media. smile

This is how all ground swell efforts start. Either collectively thought out like this or, eventually coming together through a long standing urgency - people hone in on the process to get what they want as a group by reasoning and targeting objectives.

Oh and the next time we get over 18 inches of powder, I'm poaching wildcat. That may be when my knees are already gone though. Maybe I'll sled down lol.
Sincraft
December 7, 2012
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
Originally Posted By: Heath
There are some very active discussions on that page regarding the resort, Anna is finally answering my emails after i spammed her into eventually opening an email to read.

Ask her if you could quote her. Start making these people feel this is more than an annoying GNAT they need to swat every once in a while.

Looking from the outside in, after reading so many threads on this subject here and other sites, thats the feeling I get is that they just have to deal with this Gnat every once in a while.
rjsherrin
December 7, 2012
Member since 09/28/2005 🔗
145 posts
The DCNR seems to say the 6.5 million is there and available. They control how it is spent is what I have heard. It is a State Park and Mellon's said no overnight lodging in the park when it was given to the state. The lessee can hire anyone to work there. The resort was grossing, if I remember right, between 1.1 and 1.2 million. If 7 Springs doesn't want it, talk to the Buncher Group from Hidden Valley. They had an offer on it without the 6.5 Million grant and as soon as that expired, 7 Springs was on the doorstep to get the option. For some reason the State gave them a Golden Contract. I heard they got the building, lift, and 400+ lots for about a million and the DCNR gave them a 10 year lease starting when construction starts. I can't guarantee any of this. To me it looks like if they don't open in 10 years, they still have 10 years to open and they don't have to make lease payments while it sits empty. It almost looks like the DCNR and state want it to become a memory for us who love it.
Sincraft
December 11, 2012
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
well surely as it sits, it's making someone , somewhere more money than in operation mode.

Surely if pressed, someone will come out to the media that it's simply not economical. While it may have been in the past, due to 'global warming' and the 'economy', it's not feasible to open until at least the economy gets better and the need for more terrain is present.

Likely, what 7s will do is use this opportunity of squashed competition to open more runs I would imagine. Most likely on the north face.

they will plant a tree and call them glades. Put a stick in the ground and call it a park, and then cut down more trees between slopes to 'expand' their total skiable acres. Or heck, another slope when, they are all pretty much the same. 2 on the front, 2 on the back. Either straight down or criss cross.

sigh. What does it matter without snow. Dec 11 and no hope to see the slopes for at least another 20+ days. Crazy
imp - DCSki Supporter 
December 12, 2012
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
When you are in a tunnel and see lights coming,
immediatly check for railroad tracks. No railroad tracks at laurel, thus the light may be a good thing.

think positive
imp
hockeydave
December 14, 2012
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
It seems to me the DCNR/DGS and Baby Bobby Nutting have merged/morphed into Lucy Brown while the rest of us who want to see Laurel reopened are Chuck. We keep thinking that football is going to be there, but they keep pulling it away when we go to kick it... UGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
GGNagy
December 15, 2012
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
You would think people would learn about NutBob, but then I recall all the "Raise the Jolly Roger!" shouts/posts I saw this past spring. People DON'T learn.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 1, 2013
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
This appeared today on the telemark tips website,

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=86065

Note the Laurel Mountain connection.

Tomski is a legend. In his mid 70s he earns all his turns; never rides a lift. He has just completed 400 months of skiing at least one day of every month. He lives a ski bum life, goes to the public library for Internet access so he can post his trip reports.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2013
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I'm surprised he was able to make a run on the old slopes. In previous years 7 Springs or the parks department would mow all the intermediate trail. This year they did not and I thought it was intentional to discourage folks from skiing back there.

I wish I had my AT set up done but boots are an issue now. I have 2 new pairs from Sierra Trading Post, one a size 26 Garmont Axon and one 27 Crispi Diablo. My Langes are a 26.5 so I hoped that between the 2 I might find a pair that fits well. I just haven't invested the time yet to really see. The 26s are really tight but the 27 are better in length but narrower. I'll have to get to that soon.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.